Need help with physics experiment (Speed of sound)

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting an experiment to determine the speed of sound using the doppler effect. The speaker describes their process of swinging a microphone in a circular motion next to a sound emitting source and collecting data into their computer. They also mention having four graphs of sound pressure against time and the possibility of converting them into amplitude versus frequency graphs. However, determining the speed of sound requires knowing the speed of the microphone, which the speaker did not measure. They also mention the need for a formula for the doppler effect, which can be found through research or derivation.
yulija
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Last week we had to conduct an experiment with the aim of determining the speed of sound. I decided to play with doppler effect.
I was more or less sure what I had to do but then the teacher came and changed a whole set up.
The outcome: I am currently very confused because I have to write a report on this experiment.

Anyway, what I did was observing doppler effect in circular motion (with stationary source and moving observer). Basically speaking, I was swinging a microphone in a circle next to the sound emitting source that collected data into my computer. I also tried two different frequencies - 1000 and 4000Hz.

So now I have four graphs of sound pressure against time: two of them show data when everything was stationary. And other two show the data with doppler effect.

I can also convert them into amplitude versus frequency graphs.

So.. what do I do next?? Is there a way of determining speed of sound out of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Can you determine from your graphs how fast the microphone was moving? Did you, for example, measure the radius of the path the microphone moved through? If you did not then probably you will not be able to complete this. You will probably be able only to determine the speed of sound in multiples of the unmeasured speed of motion of the microphone.

Have you got a formula for the Doppler effect as a function of speed of motion of the microphone, speed of sound, and frequency? If you don't, can you derive it? Or Google it.

Related to Need help with physics experiment (Speed of sound)

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. In dry air at 20 degrees Celsius, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How do I measure the speed of sound in an experiment?

To measure the speed of sound, you will need a source of sound, such as a tuning fork, and a measuring tool, such as a stopwatch. Start the stopwatch when the sound is produced and stop it when the sound is heard. Measure the distance between the sound source and the measuring tool, and divide it by the time it took for the sound to travel. This will give you the speed of sound in that medium.

3. What factors can affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by several factors, including temperature, humidity, and the medium through which the sound is traveling. In general, sound travels faster in warmer, less dense mediums, and slower in colder, more dense mediums. Humidity can also affect the speed of sound, as it can add moisture to the air, making it less dense.

4. How does the speed of sound change with altitude?

The speed of sound generally decreases with increasing altitude. This is because the air at higher altitudes is colder and less dense, which causes sound waves to travel more slowly. Additionally, at higher altitudes, there is less air for the sound waves to travel through, which can also slow them down.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the speed of sound?

Understanding the speed of sound is important in various fields, including music, communication, and aviation. In music, the speed of sound plays a role in the production and perception of different musical notes. In communication, it is important to account for the speed of sound when determining the distance between two points. In aviation, the speed of sound is critical for pilots to maintain safe airspeeds and avoid breaking the sound barrier.