Geometric Interpretation of complex numbesr

Then, you have a single complex number, ##z_2##, that needs to be rotated and translated in order for the second equation to be satisfied. In summary, to prove that ##z_1, z_2, z_3## are the vertices of an equilateral triangle, we can simplify the problem by reducing it to the case where ##z_1## is a real number and then using rotations and translations to simplify the equations.
lolittaFarhat
z1,z2,z3 are distinct complex numbers, prove that they are the vertices of an equilateral triangle if and only if the following relation is satisfied:

z1^2+z2^2+z3^2=z1.z2+z2.z3+z3.z1

so i shall show that |z1-z2|=|z1-z3|=|z2-z3|but i do not know how to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to the homework section.
Did you try to square the second equation, or multiply it with suitable complex conjugates of the expression, to see what happens? You'll get products of two numbers, which looks closer to the first equation.

I'd start by simplifying the problem geometrically. The idea is to move ##z_1, z_2, z_3## through a series of rotations and translations in order to simplify the equations. For example, you could reduce the problem to the case where ##z_1## is a real number.

Related to Geometric Interpretation of complex numbesr

1. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

The geometric interpretation of complex numbers is a visual representation of a complex number on a two-dimensional plane, using the real axis (x-axis) and the imaginary axis (y-axis). This allows us to understand complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and direction, similar to how we represent vectors in mathematics.

2. How do we plot complex numbers on a plane?

We plot complex numbers on a plane by using the real part as the x-coordinate and the imaginary part as the y-coordinate. For example, the complex number z = 3 + 4i would be plotted as the point (3,4) on the complex plane.

3. What is the relationship between the modulus and argument of a complex number?

The modulus (or absolute value) of a complex number represents its distance from the origin on the complex plane, while the argument represents the angle it makes with the positive real axis. Together, they fully describe the geometric interpretation of a complex number.

4. How do we multiply and divide complex numbers geometrically?

To multiply complex numbers geometrically, we can use the parallelogram rule, where the product of two complex numbers is represented by the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the individual complex numbers. To divide complex numbers geometrically, we can use the concept of conjugates, where the quotient is represented by the ratio of the lengths of two segments on the complex plane.

5. Can we use the geometric interpretation of complex numbers to solve equations?

Yes, the geometric interpretation of complex numbers can be used to solve equations involving complex numbers. By representing the complex numbers on a plane, we can use geometric constructions to find the roots of a complex polynomial equation or to solve geometric problems involving complex numbers.