Equilateral Triangles and Complex Variables: Proving the Relationship

In summary, the discussion is about proving that three complex variables, z1, z2, and z3, are vertices of an equilateral triangle if and only if their sum is equal to 0. The conversation also includes hints on how to approach the proof, such as dividing the equation by z1 and working with the case of 1+y1+y2=0 where |y1|=|y2|=1. It is also mentioned that the existence of one equilateral triangle with (1,0) as a vertex and all sides length 1 away from the origin needs to be proven.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let {z1,z2,z3} be complex variables such that |z1| = |z2| = |z3|. Prove that z1,z2,z3 are vertices of an equilateral triangle iff z1 + z2 + z3 = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start on this. I know that |z2-z1= |z3-z2| = |z3-z1|, but this information didn't get me very far. Any hints on how I should start this proof, or what other information I will need?

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide your equation by z1. Now you have 1+z2/z1+z3/z1=0. So you can just work with the case 1+y1+y2=0 and |y1|=1 and |y2|=1. Does that make it seem easier?

Thanks that was quite helpful. Just one thing though... in the proof I needed to say that there exists just one equilateral triangle with (1,0) as a vertex, and has all the sides length 1 away from the origin. Is this as obvious as it intuitively seems to me, or do you think I should try to prove it?

nicksauce said:
Thanks that was quite helpful. Just one thing though... in the proof I needed to say that there exists just one equilateral triangle with (1,0) as a vertex, and has all the sides length 1 away from the origin. Is this as obvious as it intuitively seems to me, or do you think I should try to prove it?

It may seem obvious, but you still have to prove it. If you have 1+y1+y2=0 and |y1|=|y2|=1, look the the real and imaginary parts of y1 and y2. You can actually solve for them.

Related to Equilateral Triangles and Complex Variables: Proving the Relationship

1. What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that have both real and imaginary components. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are complex variables used in mathematics?

Complex variables are used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and geometry. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving functions, equations, and geometric shapes.

3. What is the relationship between complex variables and triangles?

In complex analysis, triangles are used as a tool to understand and analyze complex functions. The vertices of a triangle can represent points on the complex plane, and the sides of the triangle can represent complex numbers and their corresponding angles.

4. How do complex variables relate to the geometry of triangles?

In the geometry of triangles, complex variables are used to represent and analyze the properties of triangles in the complex plane. They can be used to determine the angles, sides, and areas of triangles, as well as their transformations and symmetries.

5. What are some applications of complex variables in real life?

Complex variables have numerous applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze various physical systems, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics, as well as in financial forecasting and risk assessment.