Graphical Representation of a Complex Sphere

In summary, the conversation is about the dimensions needed to represent a complex sphere graphically. The equation of a sphere with center at the origin is given, and there is a discussion on the number of dimensions needed for its graphical representation. One person suggests that the real dimension should be twice the complex dimension, while another explains that the real dimension should be six since the sphere is three-dimensional in the complex plane. However, it is mentioned that the equation is not equivalent to the usual equation for a sphere in real numbers.
Leo Authersh
@fresh_42 @FactChecker After thinking, I understood that the answer for this question might make the complex numbers comprehensible for me. My question in detail is as follow

Let the equation of a sphere with center at the origin be

##Z1²+Z2²+Z3² = r²##

where Z1 = a+ib, Z2 = c+id, Z3 = s+it

then

How many dimensions do we need to represent this sphere graphically?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question about dimension is a question of where. I assume you mean the real numbers as the ones which describe coordinates, because we only can draw real lines. Next you have an object, a sphere, which isn't a vector space, so the term dimension needs to be defined first. Usually one takes the dimension of the tangent space, which is a vector space. But your question seems to be more about the dimension of space, where this sphere can be embedded, i.e. drawn. We have ##6## free real parameters in total, so the answer should be ##6##. However, it is a ##2## dimensional complex and a ##5## dimensional real object, because the equation can be used to replace on parameter by an expression of the others and the constant ##r##.

An example. Let's consider ##z=1+i##. This is a complex number, so ##V_\mathbb{C} = z\cdot \mathbb{C}## is a one dimensional complex vector space spanned by ##z##. But with ##z \cdot (a+ib) = (a-b) + i(a+b)## we have ##1 \in V_\mathbb{C}## by choosing ##a=-b=\frac{1}{2}## and also ##i \in V_\mathbb{C}## by choosing ##a=b=\frac{1}{2}##, so all complex numbers are in ##V_\mathbb{C}## and as a real vector space ##\dim_\mathbb{R}V_\mathbb{C} = 2## although ##\dim_\mathbb{C}V_\mathbb{C} = 1##.

Likes Leo Authersh
fresh_42 said:
We have ##6## free real parameters in total, so the answer should be ##6##. However, it is a ##2## dimensional complex and a ##5## dimensional real object, because the equation can be used to replace on parameter by an expression of the others and the constant ##r##.

so all complex numbers are in ##V_\mathbb{C}## and as a real vector space ##\dim_\mathbb{R}V_\mathbb{C} = 2## although ##\dim_\mathbb{C}V_\mathbb{C} = 1##.

This explanation makes my comprehension of complex pane better. Thank you for the valuable explanation.

fresh_42 said:
However, it is a ##2## dimensional complex and a ##5## dimensional real object, because the equation can be used to replace on parameter by an expression of the others and the constant ##r##.

I think the real dimension should be ##4## since you actually have two constraints (real part and imaginary part both have to be zero). In general, the real dimension should be twice the complex dimension.

Likes Leo Authersh and fresh_42
Infrared said:
I think the real dimension should be ##4## since you actually have two constraints (real part and imaginary part both have to be zero). In general, the real dimension should be twice the complex dimension.
But since this is a complex sphere, which is three dimensional, the real dimensions should be six right? With each complex axis being a superposition of an real axis and an imaginary axis.

Leo Authersh said:
But since this is a complex sphere, which is three dimensional, the real dimensions should be six right? With each complex axis being a superposition of an real axis and an imaginary axis.
Yes. And even if we transform ##z_1^2+z_2^2+z_3^2=r^2## into two real equations to get rid of two real variables, it would be difficult to draw: there are still ##4## free variables (I avoid the term dimension here, as it is no obvious dimension, rather a degree of freedom), and we have expressions ##\pm \sqrt{\ldots}## so uniqueness is lost. In the end we would need all ##6## dimensions for a reasonable embedding, namely ##\mathbb{R}^6##. Or the vector space ##\mathbb{C}^3## which is only three dimensional, but still impossible to draw.

Likes Spinnor and Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:
@fresh_42 @FactChecker After thinking, I understood that the answer for this question might make the complex numbers comprehensible for me. My question in detail is as follow

Let the equation of a sphere with center at the origin be

##Z1²+Z2²+Z3² = r²##

where Z1 = a+ib, Z2 = c+id, Z3 = s+it

then

How many dimensions do we need to represent this sphere graphically?

Problem is that the equation of a sphere is {##z: |z|=r ##}. What you wrote is not equivalent to this. Notice that in ##\mathbb R^{n+1} ## , this equation is equivalent to ## (x-x_0)^2+...+(x-xn)^2=r^2 ##, but in the complexes, it is not, i.e., given ##w=(z_1, z_2, z_3): |w| \neq z_1^2+z_2^2+z_3^2 ##..

Likes Leo Authersh

Related to Graphical Representation of a Complex Sphere

1. What is a complex sphere?

A complex sphere is a mathematical object that represents the set of complex numbers in a three-dimensional space. It is similar to a regular sphere, but instead of mapping points in a two-dimensional plane, it maps points in a complex plane.

2. How is a complex sphere graphically represented?

A complex sphere can be represented graphically by using a stereographic projection. This involves projecting the points on the surface of the sphere onto a plane, creating a 2D representation of the complex sphere.

3. What is the purpose of representing a complex sphere graphically?

Graphical representation of a complex sphere allows for a better understanding and visualization of complex numbers and their relationships. It can also aid in solving complex mathematical problems and equations.

4. Are there any limitations to representing a complex sphere graphically?

One limitation of graphical representation of a complex sphere is that it can only show a finite number of points, while the actual complex sphere contains an infinite number of points. Additionally, the projection can distort the distances and angles between points.

5. How is a complex sphere different from a regular sphere?

A regular sphere is a set of points in a three-dimensional space, while a complex sphere represents a set of complex numbers in a complex plane. The points on a regular sphere are defined by their distance from the center, while the points on a complex sphere are defined by both their distance and an angle.