Prove sin(z1+z2)= sin(z1)cos(z2)+sin(z2)cos(z1), why this way?

• Thread starter nate9228
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity sin(z1+z2)= sin(z1)cos(z2)+sin(z2)cos(z1) using two different methods - one using the e function definitions and the other using the entire functions of z. The second method is considered non-intuitive and the conversation ends with the assumption that the proof uses the truth of the identity for real numbers to prove it for complex numbers.
nate9228

Homework Statement

What I had to prove was sin(z1+z2)= sin(z1)cos(z2)+sin(z2)cos(z1). I did this simply using the e function definitions for sin and cos and it turned out fine. I then flipped to the back of my book to double check and they have a completely different method for proving it. The book is Bak and Newman's Complex analysis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The books method is very non-intuitive, at least to me. It says, "Let z2 be a fixed real number. Then f(z)= sin(z+z2) and g(z)= sin(z)cos(z2)+sin(z2)cos(z) are two entire functions of z which agree for all real values z= z1 and, hence, for all complex values z= z1, as well. Let z=z1 be any such complex number. Then, f(z)= sin(z1+z) and g(z)= sin(z1)cos(z)+ sin(z)cos(z1) agree for all real values z=z2 and, hence, for all complex values z=z2 as well." I do not see how this proves the identity in any way really. Can someone explain, in detail, how this works? And why it would be proved this way when it only takes two minutes to do it using the e function definitions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the proof assumes that the identity is true for real numbers, and uses that knowledge to prove it for complex numbers as well.

I agree, it's very silly way of doing it.

Related to Prove sin(z1+z2)= sin(z1)cos(z2)+sin(z2)cos(z1), why this way?

1. What is the formula for proving sin(z1+z2) = sin(z1)cos(z2) + sin(z2)cos(z1)?

The formula for proving the trigonometric identity sin(z1+z2) = sin(z1)cos(z2) + sin(z2)cos(z1) involves using the addition formula for sine, which states that sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + sin(b)cos(a). This formula can be applied to the complex numbers z1 and z2, where the imaginary part represents the angle in radians.

2. Why is it important to prove this identity?

Proving this identity is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the sine function and complex numbers. It also serves as a fundamental building block for more complex trigonometric identities and can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. How can this identity be used in real-world situations?

This identity can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be applied in the study of oscillatory phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in calculating the movement and position of objects in space, such as planets and satellites.

4. Are there any limitations to this identity?

Yes, there are limitations to this identity. It is only applicable to complex numbers and cannot be used for real numbers. Additionally, it only holds true for certain values of z1 and z2, such as when both numbers lie on the unit circle.

5. Are there any alternative ways to prove this identity?

Yes, there are alternative ways to prove this identity, such as using Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). This can be used to prove the identity by substituting z1 and z2 with e^(iz1) and e^(iz2), respectively, and then using the properties of exponents to simplify the equation.