Firefox PF search plugin (what is it?)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, this is a Google search bar that is available in the top bar of Firefox. When you type something into the bar, it will create a search with the words you have put in.
Saladsamurai
Is there any way to get a description of what exactly this is for us non tech savvy types?

If you click on it it just starts downloading. What is its function?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
Is there any way to get a description of what exactly this is for us non tech savvy types?
It's like a google search bar, but for PF. That is, it will sit in the top bar of firefox, and allows you to search PF by simply typing your search string into the box, rather than even going to pf.com

If you click on it it just starts downloading.
Yes, clicking on the button downloads a .zip file, which you can then unzip and install in the firefox directory.

When you type something into the bar, which will be on the top right hand corner. When you type something in, it will create a search with the words you have put in. Good time saver :smile:

Does the plugin allow boolean searches? Or is it just an interface to the PF search form? Is it subject to delays between successive queries [as the form was in the past]?

By the way, here is a bookmarklet (a bookmark with javascript code) which asks google to search PF by automatically appending "site:physicsforums.com" to any search query. It does not require that you have the Google Toolbar installed... It's just a bookmark with code in your browser.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1537951#post1537951

robphy said:
Does the plugin allow boolean searches? Or is it just an interface to the PF search form?

It's an interface to the PF search form.. but that allows boolean searches, doesn't it?

cristo said:
It's an interface to the PF search form.. but that allows boolean searches, doesn't it?

Maybe now it does... but it didn't seem to work [well] before.

From Greg's post in the thread I posted above,
he said
"Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform."

Is it still restricted to those special users?

Saladsamurai said:

If you click on it it just starts downloading. What is its function?

Thanks

Could any of you please tell me where exactly is this plug-in? How do I get it? Any other relevant info I need to use it?

Shooting Star said:
Could any of you please tell me where exactly is this plug-in? How do I get it? Any other relevant info I need to use it?

I can tell you its on the main page on the right hand side just underneath the box that has all the users online info.

Related to Firefox PF search plugin (what is it?)

What is a Firefox PF search plugin?

A Firefox PF search plugin is an add-on or extension for the Firefox web browser that allows users to easily search for information on the internet using the PF search engine.

How do I install a Firefox PF search plugin?

To install a Firefox PF search plugin, open the Firefox web browser and go to the add-ons or extensions section. Search for the PF search plugin and click on the install button. The plugin will then be added to your browser.

Can I use a Firefox PF search plugin on any device?

Yes, as long as you are using the Firefox web browser, you can use the PF search plugin on any device. This includes desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.

Is the Firefox PF search plugin free to use?

Yes, the Firefox PF search plugin is completely free to use. You can install it on your browser without any cost and use it to search for information on the internet.

Can I customize the settings of a Firefox PF search plugin?

Yes, most Firefox PF search plugins allow users to customize the settings according to their preferences. This may include changing the search engine, adding or removing search categories, and adjusting the appearance of the search bar.