What is the issue with previewing posts in Mozilla Firefox?

• Bug
  • Thread starter BiGyElLoWhAt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Firefox
In summary, there is a known bug with MathJax not loading in the preview option for pages without LaTeX. However, this issue also occurs with other previewing and can be fixed by restarting Firefox or clearing the cache and cookies. Holding shift while clicking refresh or holding ctrl while hitting F5 can also bypass the cache. Additionally, after previewing, the insertion point may not follow the cursor, but this can be fixed by using shortcuts like Ctrl-Home or Ctrl-End.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
It seems as though it's not only with latex, but with previewing in general. Sometimes restarting Firefox will fix it for me, but I've restarted it 2x now and nothing. It just doesn't preview. You hit preview, it locks out editing, but doesn't show you what your post looks like

Physics news on Phys.org
With LaTeX, its a known bug that MathJax is not loaded in the preview option if the page does not have any LaTeX elsewhere. However, since you are saying that the issue is not only with LaTeX, can you post a screenshot of the problem?

Also, what version of Firefox are you using? Have you tried clearing cookies/cache?

Sorry about such a late reply, got busy with school and work. Its v98.0.1 currently. I have it set to clear cookies and site data on close, and it's closed most of the time unless I'm using it. If I spam refresh sometimes I can get it to load the editor correctly. I'll try to post an image tomorrow after my presentation.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I have it set to clear cookies and site data on close
This will have no effect on the cache.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
If I spam refresh sometimes I can get it to load the editor correctly.
Neither will this.

To bypass the cache on FF or Chrome hold shift while you click refresh, or hold ctrl while you hit F5.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, BiGyElLoWhAt and Wrichik Basu
pbuk said:
To bypass the cache on FF or Chrome hold shift while you click refresh, or hold ctrl while you hit F5.
Is that respectively for FF and Chrome? That's a nifty hotkey. Thanks for that.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Is that respectively for FF and Chrome? That's a nifty hotkey. Thanks for that.
Both methods work on both (for me on Windows).

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
A similar (same?) problem occurs after a Preview w/Mozilla Firefox.
After a Preview, sometimes the Insertion Point does not follow the Screen Cursor.

Doing a Ctrl-Home or Ctrl-End seems to fix the problem... until the next time.

Cheers,
Tom

Related to What is the issue with previewing posts in Mozilla Firefox?

1. What is the "Edit preview bug" in Mozilla?

The "Edit preview bug" in Mozilla refers to a known issue where the preview of edits made to a web page using Mozilla Firefox does not accurately reflect the changes made. This bug can occur when editing HTML or CSS code, and can lead to confusion and frustration for web developers.

2. How does this bug affect web development?

This bug can affect web development by causing discrepancies between the actual changes made to a web page and what is shown in the preview. This can make it difficult for developers to accurately test and troubleshoot their code, leading to potential errors or delays in the development process.

3. Is there a way to fix this bug?

Yes, there are several ways to address this bug. One solution is to use a different browser for editing and previewing, such as Google Chrome or Safari. Another option is to use a web development tool or plugin that provides a more accurate preview, such as Firebug or Web Developer. Additionally, regularly clearing the cache and refreshing the preview can sometimes resolve the issue.

4. Is this bug specific to Mozilla Firefox?

No, this bug can also occur in other browsers that use the Gecko layout engine, such as SeaMonkey and Pale Moon. However, it may manifest differently in each browser and the solutions may vary.

5. Is there a way to prevent this bug from happening?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent this bug from occurring, there are some best practices that can minimize the chances of it happening. This includes regularly updating to the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, using valid HTML and CSS code, and avoiding complex or nested code structures. It is also helpful to test and preview changes in multiple browsers to catch any discrepancies.