Exploring the Convergence of 0.999... and the Concept of Infinity

• Thread starter ram2048
  • Start date
In summary: Also, if you're so caught up in your own theory that you can't see the flaws in it, you might want to reevaluate your perspective.
and Zurtex you're just a useless bandwagoner, i hope to god that i never unwittingly convince you, because i don't want you "on my side" ;D

Physics news on Phys.org
(Here I've gone about believing that the decimal notation is simply a shorthand for sums of certain fractions, but now I know differently!)

quite true.

decimals represent an exact quantity, and create a TRUE number line from which EXACTLY ACCURATE quantified values of things can be plotted.

fractions can only represent rational numbers on their own, or all as sums of fractions (exTREMEly tedious, which is why we use decimals), but fractions are also unique in that their quantity is defined as a ratio of two integers. thusly in THAT notation you can have 1/2 = 2/4 but the notation also has its own rules.

in decimal notation system ONE NUMBER will always be equal to ONLY itself.

PS] if you say "OMG you're wrong 1.3 = 01.30 = 001.300~" i will find you and cause you bodily harm

why should my system agree with something that is wrong?
Hurkyl said:
Are you going to tell me that you're not talking about the standard system here either?

no I'm not going to tell you "that" because i have no idea what you're hinting at ... :P

Root(2) is making me angry. going to go buy a sci-calc later this week see if I'm getting the right numbers.

no I'm not going to tell you "that" because i have no idea what you're hinting at ... :P

So you're unwilling to say something unless you can be sure I can't turn it around on you? Not too confindent are you? :-p

"that's stupid, our system doesn't work like that, you're wrong"

He's right, you know. Your arguments that the standard system is "wrong" are based entirely on how your system works.

Root(2) is making me angry. going to go buy a sci-calc later this week see if I'm getting the right numbers.

Windows calculator has a scientific mode!

Last edited:
well when I've had 18 or so pages of people trying desperately to turn stuff against me the caution comes naturally. it's not so much fear, as the tedium it takes to go back and correct my spelling or explain what i mean or change a term I'm using because it has "mathematical" meaning and I'm not using it right :O

He's right, you know. Your arguments that the standard system is "wrong" are based entirely on how your system works

because my system is accurate and logical. i don't have .999~ = 1. I don't have infinity + 1 = infinity. I don't have 1/infinity = 0. I don't have infinity/infinity = undefined or infinity - infinity = undefined. I don't have infinity as a limit to impede your archemedial assertations. i have ways to obtain meaningful values using "infinitessimals" and other numbers that possesses characteristics of infinity.

but most importantly is the system adheres to logic

Windows calculator has a scientific mode!

by JOVE it freaking does.

omg omg <thanks>

ram2048 said:
YOU PEOPLE are saying 9 = 10. in order for .999~ to be = to 1, there MUST exist a digit that is 10. since we're using base 10, a DIGIT of 10 cannot exist so that means you're wrong from the start.

what do you mean by a digit that is 10 ?
we can just have 9.999~ = 10 if you meant number
and for
1 * 0 = 0
2*0 = 0
will you also change the definition of zero in your system since you think that

infinity *1 = inifinity
infinity * 2 = infinity
is illogical?

i might...

0^0 = 1?

hmmm... i can't even picture that but i guess it's necessary for some calculations...

we'll see

lol, now your threatening bodily harm because of your lack of understanding of mathematics. Basically you can even see flaws in your own argument but you seem unwilling to admit them to yourself. Anyway:

[tex]0^0 \neq 1[/tex]

Can you think why?

Edit: I could be wrong on that actually, I would be interested to see if I am right.

I am fairly sure that [itex]0^0[/itex] is undefined. But Microsoft calculator seems to disagree with me :confused:

Last edited:
come one ram, you could at least pretend to explain what it is that you think that the number 0.999... plus another 9 after all of those is. because at the moment you've not managed to provide one single example of what this real number allegedly is.

Note that decimals are not exact representatives of real numbers, that is not any of the definitions of real numbers that works, as you've noticed, now why don't you look up the words cauchy sequence equivalence and class, or pssoibly dedekind and cut.

point out one sigle example where anyone but you has stated that they think 9=10. it would appear you don't understand the counter arguments to your system.

you also seem to have not noticed that we've otld you about systems of infinitesimals where there are 'numbers' smaller than 1/n for all n, and ordinals where there are infinite ordinals such as w, with w and w+1 not equal. one presumes this is because you think you are talking about real numbers alone, so let's do some analysis, prove that x^2 is a continuous function in your system. you can't as it happens, since 1.n doesn't tend to zero in your system, or it can't if you'r being consistent.

In the real numbers, 0^0 is left undefined becuase no matter how you tried to define it, exponentiation would be discontinuous there. (proof based on the fact 0^x = 0 but x^0 = 1 for all positive x)

It tends to be convenient to adopt the convention that 0^0 = 1 for some applications.

Hurkyl said:
In the real numbers, 0^0 is left undefined becuase no matter how you tried to define it, exponentiation would be discontinuous there. (proof based on the fact 0^x = 0 but x^0 = 1 for all positive x)

It tends to be convenient to adopt the convention that 0^0 = 1 for some applications.
Thanks, thought so :smile:

Matt why do you keep hounding me about the 9?

my system works perfectly. in fact i have used your accepted conventions to prove my system.

consider x=.999~ where x possesses infinite number of digits 9.

Z) 10x - x = 9.999~ - .999~ = 9 in your system.

see:

.999~ infinite 9's
9.999~ infinite 9's +1

this is PROVEN TRUE if you accept the statement claimed in line Z) as a consequence of that calculation.

the logical conclusion to that is that in position f(n) where n=infinty+1 there existed a digit 9. (which would be false because we defined .999~ to have exactly infinite 9's but whatever)

if you accept line Z) you prove my system works for digits beyond infinity. you're also accepting infinity-infinity=0.

and every time you say .999~ = 1 you're saying 9 = 10 since in the expression .999~ there only exists digits 9. to be equal to 1, one of those 9's MUST BE a 10 somewhere in that infinite number of 9's.

in base 10 you don't HAVE digits of 10. you have 0-9. so you're wrong to even assume there might be.

ram2048 if you accept line Z) you prove my system works for digits beyond infinity. you're also accepting infinity-infinity=0. QUOTE said:
who said infinity - infnity can't be equal to 0 ? Did our system imply that?

your system doesn't define a way for infinity - infinity to be 0. not that it couldn't be, just that it was never looked at.

my system DOES define relations amongst equal and non-equal infinities.

but that's beside the point. in THIS case you'd be accepting equal infinities to cancel out. thusly you'd be proving my point about the existence of the digit 9 in position f(n) n=infinity+1

ram2048 said:
your system doesn't define a way for infinity - infinity to be 0. not that it couldn't be, just that it was never looked at.

in our system : lim as x->infinity of (x-x) is of type "infinity - infinity " and it does equal 0 in this case. Never looked at? very funny it seems that you didn't even take a calculus course.You don't even understand our system that's why you are trying to build a new one.

ram2048 said:
in THIS case you'd be accepting equal infinities to cancel out. thusly you'd be proving my point about the existence of the digit 9 in position f(n) n=infinity+1

IF A implies B, it doesn't mean that B implies A, your logic is flawed because of this. So we wouldn't be proving anything about your nonsense.

i keep hounduing you about the nines because you've not explained what on Earth you mean by 'adding a 9' after the infinitely many that are there, this is the same as your intent that we ''create" a zero at the end of some string after multiplication by 10.

look back at your post 191 where you say you want to add another 9 after all of them to get a number even closer to 1, but we won't "allow" it.

ram2048 said:
Matt why do you keep hounding me about the 9?

my system works perfectly. in fact i have used your accepted conventions to prove my system.

consider x=.999~ where x possesses infinite number of digits 9.

Z) 10x - x = 9.999~ - .999~ = 9 in your system.

see:

.999~ infinite 9's
9.999~ infinite 9's +1

this is PROVEN TRUE if you accept the statement claimed in line Z) as a consequence of that calculation.

the logical conclusion to that is that in position f(n) where n=infinty+1 there existed a digit 9. (which would be false because we defined .999~ to have exactly infinite 9's but whatever)

if you accept line Z) you prove my system works for digits beyond infinity. you're also accepting infinity-infinity=0.

and every time you say .999~ = 1 you're saying 9 = 10 since in the expression .999~ there only exists digits 9. to be equal to 1, one of those 9's MUST BE a 10 somewhere in that infinite number of 9's.

in base 10 you don't HAVE digits of 10. you have 0-9. so you're wrong to even assume there might be.

you are saying that infinity is "equal" to the "number" of digits after the decimal point in the expansion of .999..., so it is a cardinal, define the arithmetic of your cardinals then. (it can be done). for instance, take 0.99... and 0.88888... they have both an infinite number of digits, you "infinity", now i interleave them 0.989898... so i must have added the infinities together!, yet it must also be true that there are the same number digits, thus 2*infinity=infinity. so where's the arithemetic wrong there.

now, can you even remotely rigorously prove that 0.999=1 implies 9=10 using the proper definitions of addition and such? i can't see where you've done that, in fact you haven't, but then you've never even begun to understand the definition of the REAL numbers.

you are saying that infinity is "equal" to the "number" of digits after the decimal point in the expansion of .999..., so it is a cardinal, define the arithmetic of your cardinals then. (it can be done). for instance, take 0.99... and 0.88888... they have both an infinite number of digits, you "infinity", now i interleave them 0.989898... so i must have added the infinities together!, yet it must also be true that there are the same number digits, thus 2*infinity=infinity. so where's the arithemetic wrong there.

that's absolutely wrong.

were you to take .999~ with exactly infinite 9's and .888~ with exactly infinite 8's and "interleave" them to where f(-1) is 9 f(-2) is 8 f(-3) is 9 etc each time pulling from the available 9's and 8's given, you would come up with 2x(original infinity) number of digits, BUT the sum total of those digits does NOT equal (original infinity).

yet it must also be true that there are the same number digits

very very wrong. any given infinity is equal to itself not equal to other infinities unless you clearly define the relationship beforehand, as i have been doing with digits and integers.

every time you bring something else it just gives me more and more reasons why my system is superior to the current.

in THIS case you'd be accepting equal infinities to cancel out. thusly you'd be proving my point about the existence of the digit 9 in position f(n) n=infinity+1

IF A implies B, it doesn't mean that B implies A, your logic is flawed because of this. So we wouldn't be proving anything about your nonsense.

If you're accepting that a 9 DOES exist BEYOND the number of infinite digits set forth in the initial expression such that you can multiply by 10 and a new digit 9 is brought "into play" to make the cancelling of 9's ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, then you're ACCEPTING the existence of f(n) n=infinity+1

this is a flat out consequence of YOUR logic.

that's NOT what my system believes in, it's just my system's way of interpreting the actions of your system. If you have a better way of describing to me HOW an EXACTLY infinite number of digits 9 can be multiplied by 10 and another 9 is "created" to maintain the equality you're welcome to explain it to me.

so you are insisting that there is an infinite plus one spot in a decimal expansion which implies the existence of an infinite'th spot. none of those things exists.

we do not create any more nines who on Earth except you thinks we do? your intuition is completely wrong. stick to things you can prove.

what does the 9 in this alleged infinite'th place signify? there is no such place, stop pretending that we think there is.

but the string .98989898... must hve exactly 'infinity' digits in it - how can you dsitinguish between it and the one where i interleave two strings .9999.,.. and .888...?

so far all you've shown is that you do not understand mathematics and that you are incapable of defining a consistent notation.

ram2048 said:
that's NOT what my system believes in, it's just my system's way of interpreting the actions of your system. If you have a better way of describing to me HOW an EXACTLY infinite number of digits 9 can be multiplied by 10 and another 9 is "created" to maintain the equality you're welcome to explain it to me.

Well first of all our infinite isn't a real number if you didn't understand that yet. Saying "exactly infinite" isn't proper concerning our infinite.
Tell me, if i have a never-ending supply of apples and I eat one will i still have a never-ending supply of apples?

so we've ascertained that your infinity is a cardinal, which you insisted it wasn't.

please offer formal statements about when two cardinals are equal.

my infinity is NOT cardinal

my "default infinity" can be cardinal. it can be many things because it is a tool that i define at the onset of calculations and extrapolate meanings from that point onwards.

without definition "default infinity" has no meaning whatsoever.

Well first of all our infinite isn't a real number if you didn't understand that yet. Saying "exactly infinite" isn't proper concerning our infinite.
Tell me, if i have a never-ending supply of apples and I eat one will i still have a never-ending supply of apples?

well then explain your infinite apples "getting eaten" such that EXACTLY none are left in 999~ - .999~. By your accounting "a never ending supply of apples" should still be "a never ending supply of apples" regardless of eating "an infinite number of apples" from that amount.

so therefore:
.999~ - .999~ = .999~ (your logic)

it is clear that your infinity cannot handle such contradictions. i don't know why you cling to it so desperately.

ram2048 said:
my infinity is NOT cardinal

my "default infinity" can be cardinal. it can be many things because it is a tool that i define at the onset of calculations and extrapolate meanings from that point onwards.

without definition "default infinity" has no meaning whatsoever.

well then explain your infinite apples "getting eaten" such that EXACTLY none are left in 999~ - .999~. By your accounting "a never ending supply of apples" should still be "a never ending supply of apples" regardless of eating "an infinite number of apples" from that amount.

so therefore:
.999~ - .999~ = .999~ (your logic)

it is clear that your infinity cannot handle such contradictions. i don't know why you cling to it so desperately.

Pure and simple nonsense.

.999... - .999... = 1-1=0

Apparently you are unable to differentiate between an infinite number of digits and a quantity of infinite magnitude. All real numbers have an infinite number of digits, no real number is infinite in magnitude.

yea it seems he thinks that .999... is infinite LOL.

that's what .999~ means. infinite digits. meaning if i were to COUNT each digit as f(n) i would count to infinity (magnitude).

it's your number and your definition. is the number of digits NOT equal to infinity were they to be matched on a 1 to 1 basis?

if no then you would have to define exactly what ~ or ... or _ means in your statement.

and even supposing you DO define it, come back and explain to me how in a system where everything to the left of a number is greater than and everything to the right is less than, you have come up with a number to the right of another that is exactly equal to a number to the left.

Please repeat that post in meaningful terms. What are you saying? It does not make any sense to me.

Once again ALL real numbers have an infinite number of digits, NO real number is infinite in magnitude. Now what is your point.

you know perfectly well what I'm talking about.

feigning ignorance doesn't help your case one bit.

Am I supposed to read you mind? Your post does not make any sense. It does not appear to address any of issues being discussed. How does it relate to your previous nonsense statement that 1-1=1 ?

For the third time .
All real numbers have an infinite number of digits NO real number is infinite in magnitude.

So yes, .999... being a real number has an infinite number of digits. What is the problem?

i'm just going to assume then that you've not read any of my posts concerning this matter, Integral, as i have explained several times in exacting detail WHAT I'm talking about.

how many digits of with value 9 does .999~ have?

i'm also assuming you KNOW what a digit is since you claim all "real numbers" have infinite of them

each digit position has a value from 0 to 9. simple question to you, how many digits have value of 9?

ram2048 said:
that's what .999~ means. infinite digits. meaning if i were to COUNT each digit as f(n) i would count to infinity (magnitude).

it's your number and your definition. is the number of digits NOT equal to infinity were they to be matched on a 1 to 1 basis?

if no then you would have to define exactly what ~ or ... or _ means in your statement.

and even supposing you DO define it, come back and explain to me how in a system where everything to the left of a number is greater than and everything to the right is less than, you have come up with a number to the right of another that is exactly equal to a number to the left.

I don't see a problem. When I write ~ or ... or _ we mean that the pattern repeats itself never-endingly. We can then say that .999... = .999... (obvious)
do you agree that .999... is between 0 and 2. If yes, knowing that 0 and 2 are real numbers then .999... must be a real number. let's call x this real number. Then the way real numbers are defined x = x implying x - x = 0
x=.999...
10x = 9.999... = 9 + .999... = 9 + x
10x - x = 9
9x = 9
x=1

even if .999... has an infinity of digits we can still do the 1 to 1 basis since .999... = .999... and it is a real number. there is then no contradiction
with the fact that infinity- infinity being undeterminate since the number .999... itself isn't infinity.
And even if there is an infinity of the digit "9" it doesn't mean that infinity - infinity is ALWAYS equal to 0, in this case it is in some other cases it isn't our system is totally consistent for this matter.In your system you say that infinity - infinity is AlWAYS = 0 , the possibility of being 0 in our system is existent but not exclusive to it. Try to understand the uses of limits with infinity and everything will be clear.

you don't understand my system AT ALL.

my system allows for infinities to be equal, greater than, or less than each other. complete with a way to differentiate between such expressions of infinity so that there is no confusion.

with your system, maybe it's 0 maybe it's undeterminable or undefined or maybe it's equal. you never know because you use the term "infinity" as an all-inclusive term for so many things.

didn't your system say that infinity(d) - infinity(d) = 0 ?
it is always equal to 0 in your system isn't that right ?
then logically your other "infinities"(ridiculous) are built on infinity(d).

and about our system i said that infinity - infinity is AN UNDETERMINATE FORM not INFINITY. As i said a thousand times try to understand the avantages of undeterminate forms. Tell me, do you know how to use limits, find derivatives etc...
If you do you wouldn't see the undeterminate forms as an inconvenience but as a logical consequence and totally treatable form with regards to the concept.

hello3719 - and about our system i said that infinity - infinity is AN UNDETERMINATE FORM not INFINITY.

i made the comparison that .999~ was infinite un ending number of 9's just like in the case with your apples. you never replied back when i said that if they're infinite un-ending i should be able to eat an infinite amount of them without affecting that property. such that:

.999~ - .999~ = .999~ (unending) (minus) (infinite) (equals) (unending)

please verify.

hello3719 said:
didn't your system say that infinity(d) - infinity(d) = 0 ?
it is always equal to 0 in your system isn't that right ?
then logically your other "infinities"(ridiculous) are built on infinity(d).

i said that's how my system is built AT THE VERY BEGINNING. OMG you finally understand :P

Ram,
Let's get one thing straight. You do NOT have a system. You have nothing of any use to anybody. Since you do not care to learn what generations of mathematicians have developed why should anybody care what nonsense you have cooked up in the last couple of hours?

Of course I do not understand your system, you have northing but misconceptions, why should I waste my time making any effort to understand nonsense?

You are the loser here, you have an opportunity to learn something useful but instead continue to insist that everyone but you is wrong. What a waste of time.