How can we create an image at infinity using a converging lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of focal length and its effects on creating an image. When an object is placed at the focal point, it becomes virtual and magnified. As the object is moved closer to the focal point, the image becomes infinitely long. This is possible because the light rays become parallel, which do not form an image. The conversation then moves on to discussing microscopes and the use of multiple lenses to correct technical difficulties. The idea is the same, but with more lenses. The conversation then touches on the possibility of creating a microscope with an infinitely long image, but the simulation link provided does not work for this purpose.
adjacent
Gold Member
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/260388836/index.html

Let arrow height be 1cm.
focal length:1cm
So if I move the arrow to the focal point,image is not formed.(i.e formed at infinity)
But,
Lets move it to say 0.999
Now the image is virtual and is magnified to about 1000X
If I make it closer and closer to the focal point,the image will eventually be infinite in length
How is this possible?
Then what's the need for microscopes.

Physics news on Phys.org
An image that is at an infinite distance is not really useful, as you cannot watch it.
An image at a very large, but finite distance is possible. That's exactly the way a simple microscope works.

A better microscope will use more lenses to correct for various technical difficulties (no lens is perfect, they react a bit different depending on the angle and color of incoming light and so on), but the basic idea is always the same.

Ok. Now keep the settings as previously stated(but keep the object at the focal point) and imagine that you are putting your eye in at the focal length of the right side of the lens.
Will you see anything at the edge of the lens?
Even if the rays are coming parallel to your eye,you would still see some color.
But no rays are coming towards your eyes in that direction.

mfb said:
An image that is at an infinite distance is not really useful, as you cannot watch it.
An image at a very large, but finite distance is possible. That's exactly the way a simple microscope works.

A better microscope will use more lenses to correct for various technical difficulties (no lens is perfect, they react a bit different depending on the angle and color of incoming light and so on), but the basic idea is always the same.
mfb,You didn't really explain this point.
me said:
If I make it closer and closer to the focal point,the image will eventually be infinite in length
How is this possible?

adjacent said:
Ok. Now keep the settings as previously stated(but keep the object at the focal point) and imagine that you are putting your eye in at the focal length of the right side of the lens.

What do you mean "at the edge of the lens"?

Even if the rays are coming parallel to your eye,you would still see some color.

With the arrow 1 cm away from a lens with a 1 cm focal length the light rays leaving the lens on the right side will be parallel to themselves. If you put your eye in the light path you will see an image of the arrow. However, the further away your eye is from the lens, the larger the distance between points on the image gets, and eventually not all of the light rays can enter your eye and you will not be able to see the entire arrow anymore.

How is this possible?

As you move the object closer to the focal point, the rays converge/diverge less and less until they are finally parallel, which is when the image will be infinite in length. Parallel light rays do not form an image of any type. Does that help? If not, what exactly is confusing about the situation?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean "at the edge of the lens"?
I mean the "edge".The place furthest from the center of the lens.
Drakkith said:
As you move the object closer to the focal point, the rays converge/diverge less and less until they are finally parallel, which is when the image will be infinite in length. Parallel light rays do not form an image of any type. Does that help? If not, what exactly is confusing about the situation?
If I bring the image to 0.999999999999999 cm,the image height will be x.I don't want to move it to 1cm.Just close to it.So,as you move it closer and closer and closer,the image will be larger than the solar system.
How is this possible?

EDIT:The program will crash if you write that value.But think logically.

adjacent said:
I mean the "edge".The place furthest from the center of the lens.

Yes, I know where the edge of the lens is. What I mean is that I don't know what you are asking when you ask, "Will you see anything at the edge of the lens".

If I bring the image to 0.999999999999999 cm,the image height will be x.I don't want to move it to 1cm.Just close to it.So,as you move it closer and closer and closer,the image will be larger than the solar system.
How is this possible?

What's the problem? That just means that the focal length of the rays is so long that by the time the light converges to a point the distance between the ends of the image is larger than the solar system. What exactly are you confused about?

Drakkith said:
Yes, I know where the edge of the lens is. What I mean is that I don't know what you are asking when you ask, "Will you see anything at the edge of the lens".
Ok.Let's leave it.I first want the one below.
Drakkith said:
What's the problem? That just means that the focal length of the rays is so long that by the time the light converges to a point the distance between the ends of the image is larger than the solar system. What exactly are you confused about?
I didn't mention anything about increasing the focal length.Focal length is 1cm and the object is brought closer to it.So image length is increased tremendously.Why can't we build a microscope with this?We will bring the object really closer to the focal length by the means of a computer or something.
This is my confusion.
Look at the simulation link I provided.

adjacent said:
Why do you expect anything special at the edge?
You'll see light, but you will be unable to recognize objects as their image is totally distorted.
Which direction, and why?

How is this possible?
I don't see the problem. You'll need a screen the size of the solar system, and it won't work with visible light due to diffraction, but that is a different topic.

adjacent said:
I didn't mention anything about increasing the focal length.Focal length is 1cm and the object is brought closer to it.So image length is increased tremendously.Why can't we build a microscope with this?We will bring the object really closer to the focal length by the means of a computer or something.
This is my confusion.
Look at the simulation link I provided.

The focal length of the lens is unchanged. The focal length of the light rays, by that I mean the distance the light travels before it is brought to focus, is enormous.

Drakkith said:
The focal length of the lens is unchanged. The focal length of the light rays, by that I mean the distance the light travels before it is brought to focus, is enormous.
I think you all have misunderstood.
I am talking about virtual rays. 0.999999 cm is closer than focal length isn't it?

Last edited:
adjacent said:
I think you all have misunderstood.
I am talking about virtual rays. 0.999999 cm is closer than focal length isn't it?

In the case of virtual rays it would be the "virtual" focal length of the rays. The diverging cone of light looks like it is coming from a point X cm's in front of the lens, where X is the image displacement in your program. At 0.9999999 cm, the image displacement is very, very far away.

And Image gets large and will look very large?(Like magnified 10000X)?

The image is indeed very large, but how far away is it?

When you look at an object or image, its apparent size depends both on its actual size and on its distance from you. Try calculating the angular size θ of the image, where

tan θ = (height of image) / (distance of image from your eye)

Try it for different object locations, e.g. 0.9 cm, 0.99 cm, 0.999 cm.

Last edited:
adjacent said:
And Image gets large and will look very large?(Like magnified 10000X)?

Yes, but beyond a certain magnification the image just becomes a blurry mess. I just tried it using a telescope eyepiece, and the virtual image had a limit to how big it could get before I could no longer see any detail.

jtbell said:

When you look at an object or image, its apparent size depends both on its actual size and on its distance from you. Try calculating the angular size θ of the image, where

I pu my eye in the focal point
Yes in that way,if the focal length is unchanged,the angular size is always the same.If your eye is in the same place.So the image should always look the same size.But this is not the case.Am I getting something wrong?

Last edited:
It depend on the quality and size of lens that how much you can magnify image on the edge of lens
If you want to magnify a image infinite than you require infinite quality and size of lens,that is not possible
It is thing to think but not to do really.

Varun Bhardwaj said:
It depend on the quality and size of lens that how much you can magnify image on the edge of lens
If you want to magnify a image infinite than you require infinite quality and size of lens,that is not possible
It is thing to think but not to do really.

Am I dong it?Or going to do it?
I am just thinking.Ya know..

jtbell said:

me said:
I put my eye in the focal point
Yes in that way,if the focal length is unchanged,the angular size is always the same.If your eye is in the same place.So the image should always look the same size.But this is not the case.Am I getting something wrong?
Please elaborate,jtbell.

jtbelllllllllllll

Hi all,
I have another question related to this.

Suppose we move the arrow to 0.9999 cm as adjacent said, then the virtual image will be very far, will it give us the feeling like we are seeing an object at infinity?
In my case I want to make something like a Head-up-display which create image at infinity. I imagine I will put a lens in front of a screen and adjust the distance to get virtual image at infinity. I tried with a converge lens: use 10cm focal lens, and move the screen close to focal plane, I expected to see the screen as it is about some meters away from me, but it was not. What is not correct in my understanding? I just want to bring a screen says at 10cm distance from my eye to a further distance says 2m, how can I do that?

Related to How can we create an image at infinity using a converging lens?

1. What does "Image length of infinity" mean?

"Image length of infinity" refers to the concept of an infinite image, where the image continues to extend without an endpoint or boundary. This can occur in various forms, such as an infinite zoom or an infinite repetition of patterns.

2. Is it possible for an image to have an infinite length?

No, it is not possible for a physical image to have an infinite length. However, in mathematics and computer graphics, infinite images can be simulated or represented using algorithms and mathematical equations.

3. How is the image length of infinity calculated?

The image length of infinity is not calculated in a traditional sense as it represents an endless image. Instead, it can be conceptualized or expressed through mathematical equations and algorithms that generate the infinite image.

4. Can an image with an infinite length be displayed on a screen?

Yes, an image with an infinite length can be displayed on a screen, but it will ultimately be limited by the resolution and size of the screen. The image will appear to continue infinitely, but in reality, it is being repeated or simulated through computer algorithms.

5. What are some real-world examples of images with an infinite length?

Some real-world examples of images with an infinite length include the Mandelbrot Set, a famous fractal image that displays infinitely repeating patterns; an infinite zoom image, where the viewer can continue zooming in without reaching an endpoint; and the Penrose triangle, an optical illusion that appears to have an infinite length.