How Do You Find the Equation of a Line Through a Point and a Circle's Center?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the problem statement asks for an equation of a line that passes through (3, -5) and through the center of the circle. The given point does not lie on the circle, so the distance between the points is not the radius of the circle. The slope of the line is determined and the equation of the line is found using the point-slope formula.
mathdad
Find an equation of the line that passes through (3, -5) and through the center of the circle 4x^2 + 8x + 4y^2 - 24y + 15 = 0.

1. I got to find the center of the circle.

2. I got to find the distance between the center of the circle and the given point. The distance is the radius.

3. I must then write the equation in standard form.

Yes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find an equation of the line that passes through (3, -5) and through the center of the circle 4x^2 + 8x + 4y^2 - 24y + 15 = 0.

Yes, that will given you two points on the line, allowing you to determine the equation of the line.

RTCNTC said:
2. I got to find the distance between the center of the circle and the given point. The distance is the radius.

No, you don't need to know the radius of the circle, although you will likely have it when finding the center of the circle.

RTCNTC said:

Yes?

The problem statement simply says to find an equation of the line...the form in which you give it is up to you. :)

RTCNTC said:

4(x^2+ 2x)+ 4(y^2- 6y)= -15. Complete the two squares.
No, you don't need to do find the distance. Further, since 4(9)+ 8(3)+ 5(25)- 24(-5)+ 15 is NOT 0, the given point does NOT lie on the circle. The distance between the two points is NOT the radius of the circle.

Yes?
\
Are you required to write it in "standard form"? Any (non-vertical) line can be written in the form y= ax+ b. Taking the two points, the center of the circle and (3, -5), as (x, y) gives two equations to solve for a and b.

MarkFL said:
Yes, that will given you two points on the line, allowing you to determine the equation of the line.
No, you don't need to know the radius of the circle, although you will likely have it when finding the center of the circle.
The problem statement simply says to find an equation of the line...the form in which you give it is up to you. :)

Steps:

1. Find center of the circle.

2. Find the slope m having the given point and center of circle.

3. Use the point-slope formula using the slope found in step 3 and one of the points.

4. Isolate y to establish the equation of the line.

4x^2 + 8x + 4y^2 - 24y + 15 = 0

x^2 + 2x + 1 + y^2 - 6y + 9 = - 15/4 + 1 + 9

(x + 1)(x + 1) + (y - 3)(y - 3) = 25/4

(x + 1)^2 + (y - 3)^2 = 25/4

Center: (-1, 3)

Let m = slope

m = (-5 -3)/(4)

m = -8/4

m = -2

I will use the given point (3, -5).

y -(-5) = -2(x - 3)

y + 5 = -2x + 6

y = -2x + 6 - 5

y = -2x + 1

Correct?

Attachments

• rtcntc_9-2-17.png
    rtcntc_9-2-17.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 47
MarkFL said:
Looks good to me:

Thanks. I am planning to review geometry in addition to precalculus. I will start posting geometry questions beginning next week. I would like to see more geometric pictures like the one posted here.

Related to How Do You Find the Equation of a Line Through a Point and a Circle's Center?

1. What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line on a graph. It is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This equation can be used to find the coordinates of any point on the line.

2. How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line is equal to the change in y-values divided by the change in x-values between any two points on the line. This can be calculated using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). It can also be determined by looking at the rise (change in y) over run (change in x) on a graph.

3. What is the y-intercept of a line?

The y-intercept of a line is the point where the line intersects the y-axis on a graph. It is represented by the value b in the equation y = mx + b. This point has an x-coordinate of 0 and a y-coordinate equal to the value of b.

4. How do you graph a line using its equation?

To graph a line using its equation, first identify the slope and y-intercept. Plot the y-intercept on the y-axis, and use the slope to find one or two more points on the line. Then, draw a straight line through these points to create the graph of the line.

5. Can the equation of a line have a negative slope?

Yes, the slope of a line can be negative. This means that the line is decreasing from left to right on a graph, as the y-values decrease with increasing x-values. A line with a negative slope would have an equation in the form y = -mx + b, where m is a positive number.