Equation of Circle Through Origin

In summary, the equation of a circle passing through the origin and centered at point (3,5) is (x-3)^2+(y-5)^2=25.
mathdad
Find the equation of the circle passing through the origin and centered at the point (3,5).

Origin means the point (0,0).
From the previous example, I found the equation of the circle centered at (3,5) to be (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = 25.

I do not understand what part the origin plays here. The textbook does not give an example for this question. Must I find the distance from the origin to the point (3,5)?

Must I find the slope? Can I get a hint?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find the equation of the circle passing through the origin and centered at the point (3,5).

Origin means the point (0,0).
From the previous example, I found the equation of the circle centered at (3,5) to be (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = 25.

I do not understand what part the origin plays here. The textbook does not give an example for this question. Must I find the distance from the origin to the point (3,5)?

Must I find the slope? Can I get a hint?

Since the circle passes through the origin, then the distance from the origin to the center must be the radius. Now you have the radius, and the center was given, so stating the circle's equation will follow from that. :)

d = sqrt{(3-0)^2 + (5-0)^2}

d = sqrt{3^2 + 5^2}

d = sqrt{9 + 25}

d = sqrt{34} = radius = r

The equation must be (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = [sqrt{34}]^2, which becomes (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = 34.

Correct?

One definition for a circle is the locus of all points $(x,y)$ whose distance from some central point $(h,k)$ is the same, which is called the radius, and we'll label this radius $r$. Thus, the distance formula gives us:

\(\displaystyle r=\sqrt{(x-h)^2+(y-k)^2}\)

And upon squaring, we obtain the familiar equation for a circle in standard form:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

So, if we are given the center $(h,k)$ and one point $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$ said to be on the circle, then by definition, we know the distance between the center and the given point on the circle must be $r$.

RTCNTC said:
d = sqrt{(3-0)^2 + (5-0)^2}

d = sqrt{3^2 + 5^2}

d = sqrt{9 + 25}

d = sqrt{34} = radius = r

The equation must be (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = [sqrt{34}]^2, which becomes (x - 3)^2 + (y - 5)^2 = 34.

Correct?

Yes, that's correct. :)

MarkFL said:
One definition for a circle is the locus of all points $(x,y)$ whose distance from some central point $(h,k)$ is the same, which is called the radius, and we'll label this radius $r$. Thus, the distance formula gives us:

\(\displaystyle r=\sqrt{(x-h)^2+(y-k)^2}\)

And upon squaring, we obtain the familiar equation for a circle in standard form:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

So, if we are given the center $(h,k)$ and one point $\left(x_1,y_1\right)$ said to be on the circle, then by definition, we know the distance between the center and the given point on the circle must be $r$.

This is very interesting. Thanks for the information...

Related to Equation of Circle Through Origin

1. What is the equation of a circle through the origin?

The equation of a circle through the origin is x2 + y2 = r2, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle through the origin?

To find the equation of a circle through the origin, you need to know the radius of the circle. Once you have the radius, you can simply plug it into the equation x2 + y2 = r2 to get the equation of the circle.

3. Can the equation of a circle through the origin have a negative radius?

No, the radius of a circle cannot be negative. The equation x2 + y2 = r2 is a representation of a circle with a positive radius r.

4. What does the equation of a circle through the origin represent?

The equation of a circle through the origin represents all the points on a plane that are equidistant from the origin. In other words, it represents a circle with the origin as its center.

5. Can the equation of a circle through the origin have a radius of 0?

Yes, the equation x2 + y2 = 0 represents a circle with a radius of 0, also known as a point. This means that the circle is just a single point located at the origin.