Equation of Circle in Standard Form

In summary, the equation of the circle that passes through the point (-4, 1) and its center is the midpoint of the line segment joining the centers of the two circles given below is: x^2+y^2-4y+12=0andx^2+y^2-14x+47=0.
mathdad
Determine the equation of the circle that passes through the point (-4, 1) and its center is the midpoint of the line segment joining the centers of the two circles given below:

x^2 + y^2 -6x - 4y + 12 = 0

and

x^2 + y^2 - 14x + 47 = 0.

Write the equation in standard form.

1. Does the question involve completing the square on the two circles given?

2. After finding the center for both circles in the form
(h, k), must I use the midpoint formula?

3. What other hints can you give to guide me through this question?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Determine the equation of the circle that passes through the point (-4, 1) and its center is the midpoint of the line segment joining the centers of the two circles given below:

x^2 + y^2 - 4y + 12 = 0

and

x^2 + y^2 - 14x + 47 = 0.

Write the equation in standard form.

1. Does the question involve completing the square on the two circles given?

Yes, standard form is:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

where the center is the point $(h,k)$ and the radius is $r$.

RTCNTC said:
2. After finding the center for both circles in the form
(h, k), must I use the midpoint formula?

Yes, once you determine the centers of the two given circles, then the midpoint of the line segment joining those two center points will be the center of the circle you are asked to find.

RTCNTC said:
3. What other hints can you give to guide me through this question?

Once you have determine the center of the circle, then you want to find the distance from the center to the given point said to be on the circle, and that is your radius. Once you have the radius, along with the previously found center, you have all you need to write the equation. :)

MarkFL said:
Yes, standard form is:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

where the center is the point $(h,k)$ and the radius is $r$.
Yes, once you determine the centers of the two given circles, then the midpoint of the line segment joining those two center points will be the center of the circle you are asked to find.
Once you have determine the center of the circle, then you want to find the distance from the center to the given point said to be on the circle, and that is your radius. Once you have the radius, along with the previously found center, you have all you need to write the equation. :)

Cool. I want to ask you for a math favor. As I post problems almost everyday, can you provide the steps needed to solve each problem? For example, step 1 do this, step 2 do that, etc. This will allow me to find the answer on my own.

This is also good practice in terms of following directions or instructions. Lastly for today, I have 5 personal questions unrelated to mathematics to ask you. Is this ok?

I can PM all 5 questions later today. I really would like your opinion. You do have to rush to answer my personal questions. I just want to know what you think. One of the questions involves the Navy. Look for my PM questions later today.

P. S. I will answer this question concerning two circles tomorrow. I am off tomorrow. Trust me, you are not wasting your time with me. I follow your instructions as I try to increase my math solving skills. In fact, I have learned so much from your replies since joining the MHB.

RTCNTC said:
Cool. I want to ask you for a math favor. As I post problems almost everyday, can you provide the steps needed to solve each problem? For example, step 1 do this, step 2 do that, etc. This will allow me to find the answer on my own.

Providing complete step by step instructions for completing a problem generally isn't necessary unless the OP has no idea how to begin the problem...and even then it would really depend on the situation. That could be a great deal of work to do as standard practice. I would rather hear from the OP what they think the steps should be, and then I can offer any advice based on that.

RTCNTC said:
This is also good practice in terms of following directions or instructions. Lastly for today, I have 5 personal questions unrelated to mathematics to ask you. Is this ok?

That's fine. I can't guarantee I will have an opinion on every question though. There are some things that I just am not informed enough to have an opinion worth sharing. :)

RTCNTC said:
...I have learned so much from your replies since joining the MHB.

That's always nice to hear! (Yes)

MarkFL said:
Providing complete step by step instructions for completing a problem generally isn't necessary unless the OP has no idea how to begin the problem...and even then it would really depend on the situation. That could be a great deal of work to do as standard practice. I would rather hear from the OP what they think the steps should be, and then I can offer any advice based on that.
That's fine. I can't guarantee I will have an opinion on every question though. There are some things that I just am not informed enough to have an opinion worth sharing. :)

Although I ask for guidance almost everyday, I know more math than most people in my circle of friends. Most NYC high school graduates do not know the difference between a linear equation and quadratic equation. Most people fear fractions and percents. I feel confident enough to work as a math tutor for grades 1 to 10. This is an accomplishment. One day, I will know precalculus, calculus 1-3 as easily as drinking water. This will take some time but surely doable.

MarkFL said:

Check your PM.

I am not going to type the entire calculation. This will take a long time.

1. After completing the square for x^2 - 6x + y^2 - 4y + 12 = 0, I found the center to be (3, 2).

2. After completing the square for x^2 + y^2 - 14x + 47 = 0, I found the center to be (7, 0).

3. I then found the midpoint of the two center points above to be (5, 1).

4. I now need the radius.

r = sqrt{(-4-5)^2 + (1-1)^2}

r = sqrt{(-9)^2 + (0)^2}

r = sqrt{81}

r = 9

5. I now plug the center point (5, 1) and radius 9 into the standard form equation.

(x - 5)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 81

Is this correct?

Related to Equation of Circle in Standard Form

1. What is the equation of a circle in standard form?

The equation of a circle in standard form is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. How do you graph a circle using its standard form equation?

To graph a circle using its standard form equation, first identify the center point (h,k) and the radius r. Then, plot the center point on the coordinate plane and use the radius to draw the circle around the center point.

3. Can the center of a circle be located at a point other than the origin?

Yes, the center of a circle can be located at any point (h,k) on the coordinate plane, as long as the equation is in standard form.

4. How do you convert an equation of a circle from general form to standard form?

To convert an equation of a circle from general form (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = c^2 to standard form (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, you can use the following steps: 1) Group the x and y terms together, 2) Complete the square for both x and y terms, 3) Simplify the equation by combining like terms, and 4) Rewrite the equation in standard form by identifying the center point (h,k) and the radius r.

5. How many points of intersection can a line have with a circle?

A line can have zero, one, or two points of intersection with a circle. This depends on the relative positions of the line and the circle on the coordinate plane. If the line is tangent to the circle, it will have one point of intersection. If the line is a secant of the circle, it will have two points of intersection. If the line does not intersect the circle at all, it will have zero points of intersection.