Finding the Equation of a Line through a Point and Circle Center?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation of a line passing through a given point and the center of a circle. The use of completing the square and the point-slope formula is mentioned. The equations for a line passing through two points and the special cases when the difference in coordinates is 0 are also mentioned.
mathdad
Find an equation of the line passing through (3, -5) and through the center of the circle 4x^2 + 8x + 4y^2 - 24y + 15 = 0.

Does this problem involve completing the square?

Must I express the above circle in the form (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2?

The center is the point (h, k), right?

I must then find the slope of the points (3, -5) and (h, k), right?

I then use the point-slope formula and proceed as usual.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. You may use the following equation of the line passing through (x1, y1) and (x2, y2).

\[
\frac{y-y_1}{y_2-y_1}=\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}
\]

if y2 - y1 = 0, then the equation is y = y1. If x2 - x1 = 0, then the equation is x = x1.

Cool. Good to know that I understood the question correctly.

Related to Finding the Equation of a Line through a Point and Circle Center?

1. What is the purpose of "Find An Equation....3"?

The purpose of "Find An Equation....3" is to provide a tool for users to easily find the equation of a line based on given coordinates.

2. How does "Find An Equation....3" work?

First, the user inputs the two given coordinates into the designated fields. Then, the tool uses the slope formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to calculate the slope of the line. Next, it uses the point-slope formula y-y1=m(x-x1) to find the equation of the line. The final equation is displayed to the user.

3. Can "Find An Equation....3" be used for any type of line?

Yes, "Find An Equation....3" can be used for any type of line, including horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines.

4. Is there a limit to the number of decimal places in the coordinates?

No, there is no limit to the number of decimal places in the coordinates. The tool will accurately calculate the slope and equation with any number of decimal places.

5. Can "Find An Equation....3" be used for three or more points?

No, "Find An Equation....3" is designed to find the equation of a line with only two points. It is not intended to work for three or more points.