Elastic Collision between projectile and a pendulum, what's the initial speed?

In summary, a 29.0 g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed v0 toward a 100 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 100 g ball swings out to a maximum angle θmax = 50.0°.
Fromaginator

Homework Statement

A 29.0 g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed v0 toward a 100 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 100 g ball swings out to a maximum angle θmax = 50.0°
see image for question

Homework Equations

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
vp = √[2*g*L*(1 - cosθ)]
mb*v0 = mp*vp + mb*vb

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect you have to use the mass ratio and it's relation to the ratio of momentum or kinetic energy, but I have been unsuccessful in getting the correct answer. The tried answers are availible along with the question in the image.

Attachments

• zzzPhysics.jpg
    zzzPhysics.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 639
Physics news on Phys.org
I got a different answer. But I can't just tell you - that would be spoiling your learning. If you show your calculation, I can suggest improvements.

I think the problem with my calculations was that I used a mass ratio which I think only applies to inelastic but here's what I did
0.5*mp*vp² = mp*g*L*(1 - cosθ)

vp = √[2*g*L*(1 - cosθ)]

0.5*mb*v0² = 0.5*mb*vb² + 0.5*mp*vp²
mb*v0² = mb*vb² + mp*vp²
mb*vb² = mb*v0² - mp*vp²
vb = √[v0² - (mp/mb)*vp²]

v0 = √[v0² - (mp/mb)*vp²] + (mb/mp)*vp

mb = 27 g
mp = 100 g
vp = √[2*g*L*(1 - cosθ)]; L = 1.1 m, θ = 50º

vp = 2.775 m/s

mp/mb = 3.70

v0 = √[v0² - (3.7)*7.701] + (3.7)*2.775
v0 = √[v0² - 28.5] + 10.27
v0 - 10.27 = √[v0² - 28.5]
v0² - 20.54*v0 + 105.4 = v0² - 28.5
- 20.54*v0 + 105.4 = - 28.5

v0 = 6.52 m/s

I'm pretty sure the vp(final velocity of the pendulum is right)

Fromaginator said:
v0 = √[v0² - (mp/mb)*vp²] + (mb/mp)*vp

This came from the conservation of momentum equation, but you made a mistake here. If you write out the full momentum equation, you'll see what it should be.

I got it!
vp=[2mb/(mb+mp)]*vb
0.5*mvbf^2+mghf=0.5*mvbi^2+mghi
gL(1-costheta)=).5(Vo^2)(3364/16641)
Vo=6.17m/s

although when I actually did it there were a few more intermeadiate steps but I didn't feel it necessary to type out the algebra since square roots and fractions are hard to type.

Related to Elastic Collision between projectile and a pendulum, what's the initial speed?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is the same.

2. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it. Examples of projectiles include a ball being thrown or a bullet being shot.

3. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is used to measure time and is described by the laws of physics.

4. How do you calculate the initial speed in an elastic collision between a projectile and a pendulum?

The initial speed in an elastic collision between a projectile and a pendulum can be calculated using the conservation of kinetic energy equation: m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 = m1u1^2 + m2u2^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the projectile and pendulum respectively, v1 and v2 are the velocities of the objects before the collision, and u1 and u2 are the velocities after the collision.

5. What factors can affect the initial speed in an elastic collision between a projectile and a pendulum?

The initial speed in an elastic collision between a projectile and a pendulum can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of both objects, the angle at which the projectile is launched, and any external forces acting on the system such as air resistance. Additionally, the type of material the objects are made of can also impact the initial speed due to differences in elasticity and energy transfer.