1-D elastic collision between proton and nucleus

In summary: So if the proton starts at speed v0, what is the speed of the nucleus at that instant?In summary, for part (a) of the given problem, the speed of the nucleus at the instant of closest approach is equal to the initial speed of the proton, v0. This is due to the conservation of momentum in the system and the fact that the nucleus and proton have equal and opposite charges, causing them to repel each other and change their velocities.
kingsmaug

Homework Statement

A proton of mass m is moving with initial speed v0 directly toward the center of a nucleus of mass 31m, which is initially at rest. Because both carry positive electrical charge, they repel each other. Find the speed v' of the nucleus for the following conditions:

a) the distance between the two is at it's smallest value.

b) the distance between the two is very large.

Homework Equations

p0=m*v0

KE=1/2*m*v0^2

v.cm=(v0*m)/32m

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I guessed 0 for both, just because.

So, since it's an elastic collision, the p and the KE remain the same before and after the collision.

p=m*v0

p=m*vf+31m*v'

KE=1/2*m*vo^2

KE=1/2*m*vf^2+1/2*31m*v'^2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
m*v0=m*vf+31m*v'
divide both sides by m
v0=vf+31v'
or vf=v0-31v'

1/2*m*vo^2=1/2*m*vf^2+1/2*31m*v'^2
multiply by 2/m
v0^2=vf^2+31v'^2

exchange vf

v0^2=v0^2-62v0*v'+962v'^2+31v'^2

some algebra

62v0*v'=993v'^2

v'=62/993v0
or 0.0624*v0

checking this, this is the case during (b) but not during (a)

I feel like I've missed something, probably not considering the fact that the two are pushing against each other at close distances but I'm not 100% sure how to account for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a), what type of energy besides kinetic energy do you need to take into account?

To answer question (a) you actually don't need to use energy at all. Just think about how the velocity of one particle compares to the velocity of the other particle at the instant of closest approach.

My guess would be to include electrostatic potential energy. So, if Q=q, then U=kQq/r becomes U=k/r, and if r is very small, and some arbitrary value 1, then U=1.

So, very close the total energy would be KE+U, but then the U would just cancel out.

Well, if you look at it as a regular system, the instant before the collision, the nucleus' velocity is 0 and the proton's velocity is v0. The instant after, the nucleus' velocity is v' and the proton's velocity is vf. I know that the v.cm is 1/32*v0.

HA! I'm not sure I understand, but this is about what I've got: since the center of mass is moving at 1/32*v0 to the right, after the collision the nucleus moves at 1/32*v0. I'm not sure I understand why, but I got it.

The key concept for part (a) is conservation of momentum. As the proton approaches the nucleus, the nucleus starts to recoil and pick up speed as the proton slows down due to the mutual electric repulsion. Eventually there is an instant of time when the speed of the nucleus matches the speed of the proton. If you think about it, that's the instant at which the distance between them has reached a minimum. The total momentum of the system at that instant must equal the initial momentum of the system.

Related to 1-D elastic collision between proton and nucleus

1. What is a 1-D elastic collision between a proton and a nucleus?

A 1-D elastic collision between a proton and a nucleus refers to a scenario in which a proton (a positively charged subatomic particle) and a nucleus (the central and most massive part of an atom) come into contact and interact with each other, resulting in a transfer of energy and momentum without any loss of kinetic energy.

2. How does a 1-D elastic collision between a proton and a nucleus differ from other types of collisions?

In a 1-D elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system (proton and nucleus) remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the collision is perfectly elastic and there is no loss of energy. In contrast, other types of collisions, such as inelastic collisions, involve a loss of kinetic energy due to the conversion of energy into other forms, such as heat or sound.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a 1-D elastic collision between a proton and a nucleus?

The outcome of a 1-D elastic collision between a proton and a nucleus depends on several factors, including the masses and velocities of the two particles, as well as the angle at which they collide. In addition, the physical properties of the materials (such as their elasticity) can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

4. What are some real-life applications of 1-D elastic collisions between protons and nuclei?

1-D elastic collisions between protons and nuclei occur frequently in nuclear physics, where they are used to study the properties of atomic nuclei and subatomic particles. In addition, these collisions are also used in particle accelerators, where they can be used to create high-energy collisions that produce new particles.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with 1-D elastic collisions between protons and nuclei?

Since 1-D elastic collisions between protons and nuclei occur at a very small scale (within the atom), they do not pose any safety concerns for humans. However, in large-scale particle accelerators, where these collisions are used to create high-energy collisions, strict safety protocols and precautions are in place to ensure the safety of the operators and the surrounding environment.