SOLVED: Elastic Collision, Same Direction

In summary, the conversation discussed a collision between a 100g ball moving at 4.1m/s and a 400g ball moving at 1.0m/s. The question was to determine the speed and direction of both balls after the collision if it is perfectly elastic. By applying the equations for conservation of momentum and energy, it was found that the final speed of the 100g ball is 0.86 m/s in the opposite direction, while the final speed of the 400g ball is 2.24 m/s in the same direction. A general equation for the components of velocity along the direction of impact was also mentioned as a useful tool for solving such problems.
PEToronto

Homework Statement

A 100g ball moving to the right at 4.1m/s catches up and collides with a 400g ball that is moving to the right at 1.0m/s .

a)
If the collision is perfectly elastic, what is the speed and direction of the 100g ball after the collision?

b)
If the collision is perfectly elastic, what is the speed and direction of the 400g ball after the collision?

Given Var.
m1 = 100 g = 0.1 kg
m2 = 400 g = 0.4 kg

V1i = 4.1 m/s
V2i = 1 m/s

V1f = ?
V2f = ?

Homework Equations

pi = pf
p1i + p2i = p1i + p2i
m1V1i + m2V2i = m1V1f + m2V2f

Ki = Kf
K1i + K2i = K1i + K2i
(1/2)m1V1i2 + (1/2)m2V2i2 = (1/2)m1V1f2 + (1/2)m2V2f2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up the equation for conservation of momentum:
pi = pf
p1i + p2i = p1i + p2i
m1V1i + m2V2i = m1V1f + m2V2f
(0.1)(4.1) + (0.4)(1) = 0.1V1f + 0.4V2f
2.081 = 0.1V1f + 0.4V2f

Solving for V1f
V1f = (0.81 - 0.4V2f) / 0.1

Now the equation for Conservation of energy:
Ki = Kf
K1i + K2i = K1i + K2i
(1/2)m1V1i2 + (1/2)m2V2i2 = (1/2)m1V1f2 + (1/2)m2V2f2
(0.1)(4.1)2 + (0.4)(1)2 = 0.1V1f2 + 0.4V2f2

Subbing the previous identity of V1f:
2.081 = (0.1)(4.1)2 + (0.4)(1)2 = 0.1((0.81 - 0.4V2f) / 0.1)2 + 0.4V2f2
2.081 = 6.561 - 6.48V2f + 1.6V2f2 + 0.4V2f2

Solving for V2f gives 0.9999 and 2.24
2.24 m/s is more reasonable, as the ball must have gained velocity during the collision rather than lost it.

Now solving for V1f:
2.081 = 0.1V1f + 0.4V2f
2.081 = 0.1V1f + 0.4(2.24)
V1f = (2.081 - 0.896) / 0.1
V1f = 11.85 m/s

I am concerned because I did not get a negative value for V1f, which I was expecting because it seems like the smaller first ball will rebound in the opposite direction. Is it also concerning that the final velocity of the smaller ball is much higher than the initial? am I missing a minus sign somewhere?

Thank you very much for taking a look

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By plugging V2f into the Kinetic Energy Equation and solving for V1f, I get +/- 0.859. -0.859 seems more reasonable. Did I mess up again?

PEToronto said:
By plugging V2f into the Kinetic Energy Equation and solving for V1f, I get +/- 0.859. -0.859 seems more reasonable. Did I mess up again?
Looks right.
From momentum and energy conservation one can deduce this general equation for the components of velocity along the direction of impact: v1i-v2i = v2f-v1f. This Newton's Experimental Law for the special case of perfectly elastic collision. This often helps avoid getting tangled up in solving quadratics, producing a spurious extra solution.
As an exercise, see if you can derive it.

Thanks haruspex,
That formula looks very useful, and I'll try deriving it when i finish my homework.
V1f turned out to be -0.86 m/s. I'll rename this thread as 'solved'.

Thanks again!
PET

at my solution and providing feedback. I am open to any corrections or suggestions.

Your solution looks correct, but there are a few things to consider. First, the final velocity of the smaller ball is higher because it is being hit by a larger and faster ball. This transfer of momentum and energy causes the smaller ball to gain velocity. Secondly, the smaller ball is indeed rebounding in the opposite direction, but since the initial velocities of both balls are in the same direction, the final velocity of the smaller ball will also be in the same direction (just with a higher magnitude). Lastly, it is possible that you may have missed a negative sign somewhere, but based on your calculations, it does not seem to be the case. Overall, your solution is correct and your concerns are understandable. Keep up the good work!

Related to SOLVED: Elastic Collision, Same Direction

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What does "same direction" mean in an elastic collision?

"Same direction" refers to the direction of motion of the two objects involved in the collision. In an elastic collision, the two objects are moving in the same direction before and after the collision.

3. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentums after the collision.

4. What are some examples of real-life elastic collisions?

Some examples of real-life elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding and bouncing off each other, and a tennis ball hitting a racket and bouncing back.

5. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost. In an inelastic collision, the objects may also stick together after the collision, while in an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other.