Elastic Collision Between Two Masses

In summary, the student is trying to solve for θ but is having trouble because two unknowns, v0 and v1, are not solved for. If v0 is known, then the equation becomes a quadratic in one known, v2.
derravaragh

Homework Statement

Consider a 2-D elastic collision between two masses. The first mass is moving at initial speed v0 towards the second mass. The second mass is initially at rest. Mass m1 = 0.1 kg and mass m2 = 0.2 kg. The first mass recoils at 30° above the horizontal at speed v1, and the second mass recoils at θ degrees below the horizontal at speed v2, calculate v2 and θ. The horizontal is the direction parallel to the first mass's initial direction of motion.

Homework Equations

Momentum is constant Pi= Pf
Kinetic Energy is constant Ki = Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked through this already, but came to a road block. I set up the momentum equations for the x and y directions to solve for the angle θ, which is in terms of v1 and v0, and then squared these two equations and added, then used the equation for the conservation of the kinetic energy, and set both equal to (v2)^2, so I could solve for one of the angles, but I can't actually solve for either v0 or v1 because nothing cancels. I'm at:
(v1)^2 = (v0)^2 + 1.732v0v1.
Is this right, or did I make a mistake somewhere, because from this I can't seem to see how I can solve for v2 because I can't solve for v1 even if I had v0.

My other steps came to:
x-direction => v2cos(θ) = .5v0 - .433v1
y-direction => v2sin(θ) = .25v1
Kinetic Energy => (v2)^2 = .5(v0)^2 - .5(v1)^2

I don't want to have the solution, if you could just let me know whether I'm on the right track or if I'm wrong and where I made a mistake, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
derravaragh said:
(v1)^2 = (v0)^2 + 1.732v0v1.
Is this right, or did I make a mistake somewhere, because from this I can't seem to see how I can solve for v2 because I can't solve for v1 even if I had v0.
If v0 is known then the above is a quadratic in one unknown. Just use the usual formula.

I just realized I gave the wrong set of equations, that one doesn't match the other three I got, but it's the same concept. I see my issue now, pretty simple. Thank you for your help.

Related to Elastic Collision Between Two Masses

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two masses where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, so the total momentum remains constant.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an inelastic collision, the objects involved may also stick together after the collision, while in an elastic collision, they bounce off of each other.

4. How do the masses of the objects involved in an elastic collision affect the outcome?

The masses of the objects involved in an elastic collision do not affect the outcome of the collision, as long as the collision is perfectly elastic. In a perfectly elastic collision, the masses do not change the total kinetic energy or momentum of the system.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. As long as the collision is perfectly elastic, the masses of the objects do not affect the outcome of the collision.