How High Will Each Ball Swing After Elastic Collision?

In summary, the problem involves an elastic collision between two balls of different masses, connected by strings to a rod. The collision is total elastic, and the task is to find the velocities and heights of the balls after the collision. The equations used include conservation of momentum and energy, as well as the equations for uniform circular motion. One approach involves finding the initial velocity before the collision, while another approach uses the fact that one object is stationary. The final velocities are 1/3 the initial velocity for ball A in the opposite direction and 2/3 the initial velocity for ball B in the +x direction.
Mdhiggenz
Urgent! Pendulum problem elastic collision

Homework Statement

An elastic ball (A) with mass m is released from a horizontal position, connected via
a massless string to a rod. When the ball reaches the bottom, it collides with
another elastic ball (B) of twice the mass, aslo connected via a massless string to the rod.
How high can each ball swing, respectively? (The collision is total elastic.)
Assume the +x direction is to the right
a)What is the velocity of ball A after the collision? (5pt)
b)What is the velocity of ball B after the collision? (5pt)
c)How high will ball A swing relative to the bottom position? (5pt)
d)What is magnitude of the tension force (T) in the string connected to the ball A at the
moment right after the collision? (5pt)

A picture of the problem can be found at http://www2.fiu.edu/~leguo/Site/PHY2048_files/ExtraCredit2.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M=Mtotal=3m
Va= initial velocity A

Vb= initial Velocity B

V1= final velocity A

V2= final velocity B

pi= initial momentum

pf= final momentum

ki = initial kinetic energy

kf= final kinetic energy

So what I first did was I wanted to find the initial velocity ( Va) before the collision.

To that I did: 1/2MVa^2=MgH
Va= √2gh

The collision is total elastic which means momentum and energy is conserved

Pi=pf

MaVa=Mav1+Mbv2

Im going to solve for v2:

MaVa-Mav1/Mb=v2

Plugging in known variables

m√2gh-mv1/2m=v2

m's cancel and you get

√2gh-v1/2=v2

Here is where I get confused my main problem lies with h. So I want to make that h cancel

since it is circular motion as the picture shows I try using uniform circular motion

g=Va^2/H

H= Va^2/g

I want to make sure if I am doing good so far. This is a problem that will be on my exam tomorrow so much help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm attempting the same problem right now.

I took a different approach after final the initial velocity.

Since one object is stationary, I used the equations:

vaf = (ma - mb) / (ma + mb) * vai

vbf = (2ma) / (ma + mb) * vai

plugging in that gave me

(m-2m) / (m+2m) * √2gh
= -m / 3m * √2gh = -1/3 * √2gh

and

2m / m+2m * √2gh = 2m/3m *√2gh = 2/3 * √2gh

so the velocity of ball A after the collision is 1/3 the initial velocity in the opposite direction and the velocity of ball B is 2/3 the initial velocity of ball A in the +x direction

Can someone verify if this is correct?

churchmeng said:
I'm attempting the same problem right now.

I took a different approach after final the initial velocity.

Since one object is stationary, I used the equations:

vaf = (ma - mb) / (ma + mb) * vai

vbf = (2ma) / (ma + mb) * vai

plugging in that gave me

(m-2m) / (m+2m) * √2gh
= -m / 3m * √2gh = -1/3 * √2gh

and

2m / m+2m * √2gh = 2m/3m *√2gh = 2/3 * √2gh

so the velocity of ball A after the collision is 1/3 the initial velocity in the opposite direction and the velocity of ball B is 2/3 the initial velocity of ball A in the +x direction

Can someone verify if this is correct?

That looks okay :approve:

Related to How High Will Each Ball Swing After Elastic Collision?

What is an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision?

An urgent pendulum problem elastic collision is a type of physics problem where a pendulum collides with another object, causing both objects to undergo elastic collisions. This type of problem is often used to test a student's understanding of momentum, energy, and conservation laws.

What are the key concepts involved in solving an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision?

The key concepts involved in solving an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision include momentum, energy, and conservation of momentum and energy. It is important to understand how these concepts are related and how they apply to the specific scenario of a pendulum colliding with another object.

How do you approach solving an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision?

To solve an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision, it is important to first understand the given scenario and identify the relevant variables, such as the masses and velocities of the objects involved. Then, you can use the principles of momentum and energy to set up and solve equations that will determine the outcome of the collision.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an urgent pendulum problem elastic collision include forgetting to account for all relevant variables, using incorrect equations, and not applying the principles of conservation laws correctly. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are logically sound.

How can understanding urgent pendulum problem elastic collisions be applied in real life?

Understanding urgent pendulum problem elastic collisions can be applied in many real-life scenarios, such as analyzing car crashes or collisions between billiard balls. It can also be used in the design of safety features for sports equipment or amusement park rides. Additionally, understanding these concepts can help in problem-solving and critical thinking skills in various scientific and engineering fields.