Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck: A 5th Grader's Adventure

In summary, the speaker's 5th grade cousin is conducting an egg drop experiment with the help of their uncle. They decided to use Oobleck, a non-Newtonian fluid, to protect the egg. However, after three drops, the egg broke on the third one. The first two drops were successful when the egg was placed in a yogurt container along with the Oobleck, but the third drop with only the balloon and Oobleck resulted in the egg breaking. The speaker is unsure why this happened and asks for clarification on what Oobleck is.
Ba
My 5th grade cousin is doing an egg drop experiment and my uncle and I came up with putting the egg in Oobleck. Will this actually work if done properly? We tested it yesterday and the egg broke on the third drop. The first drop worked as did the second, but both of those the balloon of oobleck and egg was in a yogurt container. The third one with just the balloon broke, and I am wondering why it might have done this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Oobleck?

Oobleck is a "non-Newtonian fluid". It exhibits a highly non-linear response to pressure. At low pressures, it has low viscosity. Beyond some critical pressure, it has very high viscosity - almost like a solid.

Related to Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck: A 5th Grader's Adventure

1. What is an Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck?

An Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck is a science experiment in which a raw egg is dropped from a certain height onto a surface covered with Oobleck, a non-Newtonian fluid made of cornstarch and water. The goal of the experiment is to design a contraption that will protect the egg from breaking upon impact.

2. How does Oobleck help protect the egg?

Oobleck is a non-Newtonian fluid, which means it has properties of both a liquid and a solid. When force is applied to it, it becomes more solid and can absorb the impact of the falling egg, preventing it from breaking. This is known as a "shear thickening" property.

3. What materials do I need for the Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck?

The materials needed for this experiment include a raw egg, Oobleck (made of cornstarch and water), a container to hold the Oobleck, and a variety of materials to use for the egg protection contraption (e.g. cardboard, bubble wrap, straws, etc.). You may also need tape, scissors, and other tools to help build your contraption.

4. How do I conduct the Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck?

To conduct this experiment, you will first need to create your Oobleck mixture by mixing cornstarch and water in a container until it reaches a consistency that is neither too runny nor too solid. Then, you can start building your egg protection contraption using the materials you have gathered. Once your contraption is ready, you can drop the egg from a designated height onto the Oobleck surface and observe the results.

5. What can I learn from the Egg Drop Experiment with Oobleck?

This experiment can teach you about the properties of non-Newtonian fluids, such as Oobleck, and how they can be used to protect objects from impacts. It also allows you to practice the scientific method by making a hypothesis, designing an experiment, and analyzing the results. Additionally, this experiment can help develop your problem-solving and critical thinking skills as you try to come up with the best contraption to protect the egg.