Egg drop experiment design project

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of designing an egg drop experiment for a teaching project. The speaker plans to give students 30 minutes to create a container to protect an egg from a 20 foot fall, but is unsure what materials to provide to make it challenging without being too easy. Suggestions include using unconventional materials like chopsticks or a plastic peanut butter case, as well as offering a variety of materials to encourage creativity and problem-solving.
kcasali
I have to design an egg drop experiment for a teaching project. I'll describe the project and how everything works, then the students have about half an hour to create a container to shelter the egg so that it doesn't break from a fall of about 20 feet. The sticking point is the time limit. I obviously want them to build contraptions that will work, but I don't know what materials to give them for them to build it in that short of a time without making it TOO easy (like giving them a box and cotton balls; they'd know exactly what to do with it, and wouldn't have to work for it at all). Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a teacher that did the same project exept he asked us to use our own materials from home. I had a friend who used chopsticks, it failed horribly.

I know someone who used put the egg in a plastic peanut butter case, and the peanut butter protected the egg.

If you offer only two materials, they will surely know what to do ...the only thing to do...offer them a bunch of things!

cotton
foam
carton box
wire (exo-skeleton)
rubber bands (exo-skeleton suspension system)
bubble wrap
plastic bag (parachute idea)
thread or thin rope (parachute idea)

etc, etc

I would suggest that the goal of this egg drop experiment should not be to make it difficult for the students, but rather to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Instead of limiting the materials, I would suggest providing a variety of materials and allowing the students to choose what they think will work best for them. This will allow for creativity and different approaches to the problem.

Some materials that could be provided are straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, paper cups, balloons, and tape. These materials are easily accessible and can be used in different ways to create a protective container for the egg. Additionally, you could provide some basic guidelines or constraints, such as the container cannot exceed a certain size or weight, to add an extra challenge.

Another idea would be to have the students work in pairs or small groups. This will not only encourage teamwork but also allow for sharing of ideas and resources. It may also be helpful to provide some examples or demonstrations of different designs before the students start to give them some inspiration and guidance.

Overall, the key is to create a balance between making the experiment challenging and promoting critical thinking, while also providing enough resources and time for the students to be successful. I wish you and your students all the best in this egg drop experiment design project!

Related to Egg drop experiment design project

1. How do you design an egg drop experiment?

To design an egg drop experiment, you will need to first determine the materials you will use, such as a container, cushioning materials, and the egg. Next, you will need to think about the variables you want to test, such as the height of the drop or the type of cushioning used. Then, you can create a plan for how you will conduct the experiment and analyze the results.

2. What materials are needed for an egg drop experiment?

The materials needed for an egg drop experiment will vary based on your design, but typically you will need an egg, a container, and cushioning materials such as bubble wrap, cotton balls, or straws. You may also need additional materials like tape or string to secure the egg and cushioning.

3. What is the purpose of an egg drop experiment?

The purpose of an egg drop experiment is to test the effects of gravity and impact on an object, such as an egg, when dropped from a height. It is often used to demonstrate the importance of cushioning and protection in preventing damage to fragile objects.

4. How do you analyze the results of an egg drop experiment?

To analyze the results of an egg drop experiment, you will need to record the data from each drop, such as the height of the drop, the type of cushioning used, and the condition of the egg after the drop. You can then compare the data to see which variables had the most impact on the egg's survival and draw conclusions from the results.

5. What are some tips for a successful egg drop experiment?

Some tips for a successful egg drop experiment include choosing sturdy materials for your container and cushioning, testing different variables to see their effects on the egg, and conducting multiple trials to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to research and learn from other successful egg drop designs and incorporate their techniques into your own experiment.