Egg Drop Experiment Physics CLass

In summary, the conversation discusses the popular egg drop experiment in a physics class. The parameters of the experiment include using wooden strips no larger than 1/4" by 1/4" and only using certain types of glue. The egg cannot be altered in any way and the drop will be from 10 meters. The question of whether the wooden strips can be shredded is raised and a helpful tip is given about orienting the egg to its strongest point of impact. Additionally, previous discussions of the experiment are mentioned as a potential source of helpful information.
pandazcanfly
My physics class is doing the popular egg drop experiment. We may only use wooden strips no larger than a 1/4" by 1/4" in cross section (ex: toothpicks, popsicle sticks). We may not use bamboo as it is a grass not a wood. We can only use glue, cement, superglue, or hot glue to hold it together. We also must be able to load the egg into the container and remove it after a successful drop. The egg cannot be cooked, coated, or altered in any way. The drop will be from about 10 meters. Does anyone have any helpful information? Anything is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you able to shred the wooden strips?

That is a very good question that I do not yet know the answer to. I will ask my teacher tomorrow about it. But for time's sake, let us assume that the wood can indeed be shredded.

I helped my sister with this a few years ago. Since the egg is very strong on the "pointy sides" you just have to make sure that the point of impact is oriented in that direct. What we did was put an egg in a paper towel tube, put coushining on the other edges, and rocks on the bottom. It apparently fell like a rock, but hers was the only one that didn't break.

The egg drop experiment has been discussed here on PF a number of times, so you can probably get some good information by looking at some of the previous threads. Use the "Search" link at the top of the page (just below the "Physics Forums" logo), and choose the "Google custom search" option for best results.

Related to Egg Drop Experiment Physics CLass

1. What is the purpose of the Egg Drop Experiment in Physics class?

The purpose of the Egg Drop Experiment is to illustrate the concept of inertia and its impact on objects in motion. It also allows students to apply their knowledge of physics principles such as velocity, acceleration, and force to a real-life scenario.

2. What materials do I need for the Egg Drop Experiment?

The materials needed for the Egg Drop Experiment typically include a raw egg, various materials for the egg's container (such as cardboard, bubble wrap, straws, etc.), and a way to drop the egg (such as a ladder or balcony). Your teacher may also provide additional materials or guidelines for the experiment.

3. How do I design my egg container for the Egg Drop Experiment?

The design of your egg container should focus on providing cushioning and reducing the impact force on the egg when it is dropped. Some effective designs include using a parachute, creating a crumple zone, or using a spring mechanism. Be sure to consider the weight and size of your container as well.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing the height to drop my egg from?

The height at which you drop your egg can greatly affect the outcome of the experiment. Factors to consider include the weight and design of your egg container, the surface the egg will land on, and the impact force that the egg can withstand. It is recommended to start with a low height and gradually increase it if your egg survives the drop.

5. What should I do if my egg breaks during the Egg Drop Experiment?

If your egg breaks during the experiment, don't be discouraged! Analyze what went wrong with your design and make adjustments for future attempts. This is a great opportunity to practice the scientific method and improve your understanding of physics concepts.