Egg Safety Vehicle (Egg Drop Project in a car)

In summary, the student is designing an egg-protection vehicle. The vehicle must be no larger than 6"x6"x6", must have a door that can open and close three times, must have a "window" of 1"x1", and must not consist solely of offensive features. There are only a few restrictions: the body cannot be more than half metal, wood, or plastic, the car must have a door that can open and close three times, and the car must have a "window" of 1"x1". The vehicle must also have a "jousting" test in which the student's teacher will gently kick the car down one flight of stairs. The student is also worried about the "test"
triangle man
"Egg Safety Vehicle" (Egg Drop Project... in a car!)

Hey! This is my first post so sorry if I do anything against protocol.

I need to design a sort of egg protection vehicle. I will put the egg inside of the car which will in turn be rolled down a ramp and crash into one of my classmate's similar cars. So it's basically the egg drop project, but I will be "jousting" with my classmates.

There are only a few restrictions:
-- Body can be no larger than 6"x6" inclucing wheels (as for height... just not "crazy tall," whatever that means)
-- Body can not be more than half metal, wood, or plastic
-- Car must have a door that can open and close three times without breaking.
-- Car must have a "window" of 1"x1" (can be just a hole)

Oh and it can't consist solely of offensive features because there is an additional test: our teacher will (gently) kick our cars down one flight of stairs. I'm more worried about this test than the jousting.

I was thinking doing something with huge wheels to minimize the impact of my car as it tumbles down the stairs, and was planning to build a soft container for the egg that woule be suspended in oatmeal inside of a hard container.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Yeah why not make huge wheels with weight around the outer rim so your car accelerates slowly down the ramp?
Use the largest dimensions possible to extend the time of impact from every possible angle

probably seat your egg in the middle of the car

I'd suggest a harness inside for the egg suspended with rubber bands to the sides of the frame. Gotta make sure they are tight enough to keep it suspended away from the walls when falling down the stairs though. I've seen things kinda like this before for egg drops.

I'd say focus on offense and destroy the others cars before they have a chance to get kicked down the stairs

jeffc0987 said:
I'd suggest a harness inside for the egg suspended with rubber bands to the sides of the frame. Gotta make sure they are tight enough to keep it suspended away from the walls when falling down the stairs though. I've seen things kinda like this before for egg drops.

I'd say focus on offense and destroy the others cars before they have a chance to get kicked down the stairs

I'd think you would want something that absorbs the energy, not stores it like a rubber band. If you use a rubber band maybe find a way to create a sliding seat. Use rubber bands to hold it in a neutral position. Then you can use zip ties to make sure the seat will only slide one way. So kindof like a shock absorber if your rebound valve were jammed closed. It would only absorb the energy and not return it.

Of course rubber bands would be better than none because you are extending the time of impact.

Thanks for the pointers! Would the rubber band thing work if my "seat" was a bubble-wrap capsule suspended in oatmeal? I don't think the zip ties would work, as when it is kicked down the stairs, it will be absorbing force from every side and would be required to move in more than one direction to avoid breakage.

The only issue i have with that is that the egg has to be visible at all times, which is difficult to fulfill when it's buried in oatmeal. Would a tunnel from the surface of the box to the center (where the egg is) that does not contain oatmeal hurt the performance? So the egg's "seat" would be the tunnel. Does that make sense?

In case anyone reads this thread, I'm just going to say that I have changed my strategy to a bubble wrap capsule suspended in the middle of the carton and surrounded with cotton. I plan to put a paper cone on each side of the box except for the bottom. We test them Friday; I'll then report my results.

Sorry for the delay, but our teacher put off testing until today -__- We did a preliminary test thing 2 weeks ago, and mine was perfectly fine. Let's hope it works today...

Related to Egg Safety Vehicle (Egg Drop Project in a car)

1. What is an "Egg Safety Vehicle" or "Egg Drop Project in a car"?

An Egg Safety Vehicle, also known as an Egg Drop Project in a car, is a scientific experiment where an egg is protected from breaking when dropped from a moving vehicle. The goal is to design a vehicle that can safely transport an egg without it cracking or breaking upon impact.

2. What materials are needed for an Egg Drop Project in a car?

The materials needed for an Egg Drop Project in a car include an egg, a car or other vehicle, various types of padding or protective materials such as bubble wrap or foam, and any additional materials you may want to use for your design, such as paper, tape, or straws.

3. How do you conduct an Egg Drop Project in a car?

To conduct an Egg Drop Project in a car, you will need to first design and build your Egg Safety Vehicle using the materials mentioned above. Once your vehicle is ready, you can then drop it from a moving vehicle, such as a car or bike, at a designated height and observe whether the egg breaks or remains intact. You may need to conduct multiple trials with different designs to test the effectiveness of your Egg Safety Vehicle.

4. What are some tips for a successful Egg Drop Project in a car?

Some tips for a successful Egg Drop Project in a car include using lightweight and shock-absorbing materials, creating a secure and stable structure for your Egg Safety Vehicle, and testing your vehicle at different heights and speeds to determine the most effective design. It may also be helpful to research and learn about basic principles of physics, such as momentum and inertia, to inform your design.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind during an Egg Drop Project in a car?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind during an Egg Drop Project in a car include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling materials or conducting the experiment. It is also important to conduct the experiment in a controlled and open space, away from any hazards or obstacles. Additionally, adult supervision is recommended, especially for younger participants.