Do you feel proud to your contry?

• Thread starter yu_wing_sin
  • Start date
In summary, Norwegians are proud of their country for a few reasons. First, Norway is one of the three big cultural countries in the world. Second, Norwegians are proud of their history of commerce and capitalism. Third, Norwegians are proud of their literary tradition, with some of the world's best writers including Henry James, John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway. Finally, Norwegians are proud of their modern film industry.
zanazzi78 said:
I am proud to be Welsh :approve: and no we haven`t made any great significant contribution to world cuisine :frown:

Bill Bailey does a good sketch on that. "Welsh national dish? Cheese on toast! It's no bother, see?"

"Ambassadorial reception? I'll put the grill on!"

Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
Bill Bailey does a good sketch on that. "Welsh national dish? Cheese on toast! It's no bother, see?"

"Ambassadorial reception? I'll put the grill on!"
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Actually its cheese and spring onion on toast! and called Welsh rarebit!

rarebit? what's rare about it? or, better question, are you sure there's no other 'bits' in it?

brewnog said:
Are you out of your TREE? Yorkshire pudding is BEAUTIFUL! And Worcestershire sauce is pretty good too, best on cheese on toast. Fish & Chips are nothing without heaps of salt and vinegar, and mushy peas help too. And Guinness... mmmmmmmmmmm!

Yomamma; Black Pudding is a dubious one. I'm proud that our country could come up with something so vile which tastes so nice, but it's easy to see where the lack of appeal originates.
I register you did not contradict me on the C P-B issue..

I don't think nationalism is a good thing, but do like different cultures. I've been impressed by how polite our neighbours have been, popping into congratulate us whenever our teams have done well, as if we had something to do with it. This week we've been reciprocating!
brewnog said:
2 runs baby, 2 runs!
Well played!

loseyourname said:
The Latin "Patria" is derived from the Greek "Patros," which means father. Heck, the Latin for father is "Pater." Why do you think they have the same root?

The genitive of 'pater' is 'patris', so the stem from which all other forms derive is patr-. I'm not sure which Latin word came first, but it seems clear they both derive from the same root, which you point out also existed in Greek.

That's a pretty twisted view of patriotism, El. Specifically,
EL said:
It seems like the better country to live in, the less patriotic the people is.
That's self-contradictory. The "better" a country is to live in, the more the citizens will enjoy living there. Patriotism comes from the citizens, it is not imposed on them by the government.

And regarding dissent - the US is the originator of the idea that dissent itself is patriotic.

Smurf said:
I've analyzed that poem in 3 different English classes (different schools), 2 British and one Canadian and each time they taught me that the proper translation was 'Sweet and Glorious'. This is what I was referring to; there seems to be some consensus among the education system(s) that that is the proper translation. I'm not sure how this came about.

It's not the translation I was taught, though I was taught the translation in Latin class, not English class.

decorus, -a, -um, fitting, becoming, seemly, proper, decent, graceful;
decorum, -i, propriety, grace.

dulcis, -e, sweet, pleasant, dear.

Perhaps the mistranslation derives from confusion with the word decor.
decor, -oris, charm, beauty, grace.

I've also seen it translated as "It is good and honorable to die for your country."

Incidentally, patria (fatherland or native land) is a feminine noun. Some things in Latin don't entirely make sense, but it may relate to the idea that people settled on fertile land and fertility is associated with femininity (just my guess).

Also in the adjective form:
patrius, -a, -um, of a father, father's, paternal; ancestral.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
That's self-contradictory. The "better" a country is to live in, the more the citizens will enjoy living there. Patriotism comes from the citizens, it is not imposed on them by the government.
I disagree. Patriotism (which is simply a euphemism for nationalism) is heavily influenced by the government. If you are grown up into a society where you are taught to sing the national anthem every morning, see the flags of your country all over and only hear about how much greater your country is compared to the rest of the world you (well, at least 90% op the population) WILL feel that way. Especially if there a lot of tension and negative feelings towards another group (country, or ethnic group). People are particularly easily influenced then.
You can't argue that nazism came from the people alone without inluence from the government (or Hitler). The Japanese government has been accused of covering up war crimes. They would only do so to enhance the people's patriotic feelings. If you are born in Palestine or Israel, I think it would take a very wise and rationale person to see the conflict from an unbiased viewpoint.

Yes, the government can use patriotism to control the people. Don't be fooled into thinking it can't, because it happens easier than you may think. It has happened countless of times in the past.

Last edited:
Galileo said:
I disagree. Patriotism (which is simply a euphemism for nationalism) is heavily influenced by the government. If you are grown up into a society where you are taught to sing the national anthem every morning, see the flags of your country all over and only hear about how much greater your country is compared to the rest of the world you (well, at least 90% op the population) WILL feel that way. Especially if there a lot of tension and negative feelings towards another group (country, or ethnic group). People are particularly easily influenced then.

I myself have always been opposed to the singing of the national anthem at school events and reciting the pledge of alliegance in school altogether, since it is a blatant and sad way to teach children to be nationalistic.

This is the biggest problem with "patriots", they care nothing for mankind but for their own country only. In the end its rather selfish, even of those who are so selfless in the cause.

Galileo said:
I disagree. Patriotism (which is simply a euphemism for nationalism)...
MaxS said:
This is the biggest problem with "patriots", they care nothing for mankind but for their own country only.
Both of you are confusing patriotism with nationalism. To patriots, they are not the same thing. Ie:
they care nothing for mankind but for their own country only.
Patriotism has nothing at all to do with how one feels toward other countries.

russ_watters said:
Both of you are confusing patriotism with nationalism.
Patriotism: love for or devotion to one's country
Nationalism: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups
They are virtually identical when "one's country" is the same as "a nation." (See rest of post).

To patriots, they are not the same thing. Ie: Patriotism has nothing at all to do with how one feels toward other countries.
At least implicitly, it does. If you love and are devoted to your country, then chances are, you feel that it is better than other countries. This is why you are especially devoted to "your" country: it has to be somehow deserving of this devotion, at least in your own mind. If nothing else, Patriotic feelings lead to the belief that "your" country is the best.

Obviously, nationalism is more aggressive than patriotism. Patriotism is really a less extreme version of nationalism, and can develop into full-fledged nationalism in a veritable heartbeat.

russ_watters said:
Originally Posted by EL
It seems like the better country to live in, the less patriotic the people is.
So what's twisted with my view?
I enjoy living in Sweden, but I'm definitely not patriotic. According to your definition I should be, but I have never heard anyone define patriotism in that way. I'll better explain shortly what I mean by patriotism: A person who is patriotic is someone who always will stand up for and defend his country and its values. If the patriotism is "imposed from the government" or "comes from the citizens" doesn't matter, it still is what it is.
Hence I cannot see why my view is self-contradictory at all?

Smurf said:
rarebit? what's rare about it? or, better question, are you sure there's no other 'bits' in it?

What`s rare about it? ??!... well it`s a Welsh dish which is pretty rare!

zanazzi78 said:
What`s rare about it? ??!... well it`s a Welsh dish which is pretty rare!
I love Welsh rarebit. When I was little, I thought it was Welsh Rabbit, but was confused why it was just melted cheese.

True American Patroism must be a very differnt beast from that of other countries. I believe that true American Patroism is defined in Therous essay "On Civil Disobediance" It is the true American Patriots to guard against govermental encroachment on our basic rights as stated in the Declaration of Independence and the constituion.

The current state of affairs is alarming, there is way to much nationalism and not nearly enough patriotism.

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/statecraft/civ.dis.html

Evo said:
I love Welsh rarebit. When I was little, I thought it was Welsh Rabbit, but was confused why it was just melted cheese.

Evo: Welsh culture lesson:
In the old days, real Welsh Rabbits made too much of a mess when they grated them, so nowadays they use rarebit (cheese) instead of rabbits to save on the washing up.

:smile:

brewnog said:
Evo: Welsh culture lesson:
In the old days, real Welsh Rabbits made too much of a mess when they grated them, so nowadays they use rarebit (cheese) instead of rabbits to save on the washing up.

:smile:
Eeeewwwww. :cry:

America:

I'm proud of our freedom and our power. I'm proud of our patriotism and our land.

What I'm not proud of is our government (i.e. the people in it) and our culture. Our ignorance is a problem, and our lack of a good school system.( I live in Tennessee and our public school systems are a joke.)

Learning curve. From my standpoint, that does not make you a patriot, but an idealist.
What is important to you are the symbolic meanings you happen to relate to america, like freedom, liberty, independence, democrazy, ehm demoCRACY.
That's different from being a american patriot, which means having a chauvinistic prefererence over all things american.

Of course, when everyone uses their own, particular meaning of the words "patriotism" and "nationalism", which might well defer from the meanings used by another person, then we have in place the optimal conditions for an endless and sterile "debate".

slash flamewar

not proud of

russ_watters said:
I am from the US and I am proud of the US. Frankly, I can't see why physical features of the land would be something to be proud of, though: Americans didn't build the Grand Canyon.

->well then, i am not proud of the mt. everest. :approve:

->i am not proud of having hydro electricity to lighten the whole asia :eek: ( not used to even 5 % of total power though. :frown: ) :approve:

->not proud of having 10 of the world top 14 mountains; and 8 of world top 10

->not, no, never, proud of having the birth place of lord buddha.(there is a debate between India and nepal for this but the ashoka pillar (of king ashok who came to nepal after turning into buddhist) stands only in nepal and India is still searching in its territory for it)
well, {that time there were no nepal and India & the country of buddha was between nepal and India but inscriptions pointing the location within the range of +-50 km comes under nepal} this pinpointing was done by japan first and china later :rolleyes:

->not proud of having variety of climate(at least temperature):-
:summer season max recorded 55 c in nepaljung and, :bugeye:
:summer(not winter) measurement of mt everest temp is -80c as no one has measured it in winter season) :eek:

gurkha-war-horse

Last edited:
So the question is: Who's definition shall we stick too? The Swedish, the American, the Dutch, the Canadian, the Chinese,...? If I vote for the first, would that make me a patriot? (Or nationalist, or how was it?) :cry: :-p So maybe I will wait for someone else to deside, just in order to make it clear that I'm not patriotic! (Accordning to my definition)

EL said:
So the question is: Who's definition shall we stick too? The Swedish, the American, the Dutch, the Canadian, the Chinese,...? If I vote for the first, would that make me a patriot? (Or nationalist, or how was it?) :cry: :-p So maybe I will wait for someone else to deside, just in order to make it clear that I'm not patriotic! (accordning to what I mean by patriotic)
Well, to me as a Norwegian, it is no news that there doesn't exist anything Swedes could really be patriotic about..:wink:

As an example:
Jumping through your house in Christmas time, hollering about some dumb fox?
Please..

arildno said:
Well, to me as a Norwegian, it is no news that there doesn't exist anything Swedes could really be patriotic about..:wink:

As an example:
Jumping through your house in Christmas time, hollering about some dumb fox?
Please..

Well, I have to say that "the small frogs" and "the priest's little crow" which we sing about in midsummer kick ass compared to that boring fox running over the ice! :biggrin:
Anyway, as a Norwegian you must be very proud over your entertaining soccer team!

EL said:
Anyway, as a Norwegian you must be very proud over your entertaining soccer team!
Yes, some of them have very nice butts.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Yes, some of them have very nice&tight butts.

If you think so, you have never seen the Swedish team...

EL said:
If you think so, you have never seen the Swedish team...
Okay, I'll take your word on that.
So I was wrong then after all; Swedes DO have something to be proud of after all..

arildno said:
Okay, I'll take your word on that.
So I was wrong then after all; Swedes DO have something to be proud of after all..

Well I'm just "proud" of my own but...

EL said:
Well I'm just "proud" of my own but...
:smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Well there r a 100 reasons to be proud of being an Egyptian, but that's just it..I'm more fond of my city than my whole country, i think of myself as alexandrian 1st, and then Egyptian...This is kinda strange but it ahs been always like that for me

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Well there r a 100 reasons to be proud of being an Egyptian, but that's just it..I'm more fond of my city than my whole country, i think of myself as alexandrian 1st, and then Egyptian...This is kinda strange but it ahs been always like that for me
I think that's a perfectly natural sentiment.
I think of myself more as an Oslonian than a Norwegian.

Not many people share the same opinion, but do u think that this has got to do with the city itself??

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Not many people share the same opinion, but do u think that this has got to do with the city itself??
No, I think it has more to do with that you identify the strongest with the social "group" you're interacting most with.

That is, your strongest bonds are typically to those of friends&family, then perhaps comes how you identify yourself with your work and your colleagues, then your city, then your country, then possibly, the rest of humanity..