The Increasing Deflationary Impact of Technology

In summary, the conversation is mainly about the impact of technology, such as cell phones, the internet, artificial intelligence, and automated services, on the economy. This is leading to a decrease in prices for consumers and has been seen in the falling prices of digital products since the dot com boom. The effect has spread and accelerated with the rise of companies like Amazon and Alibaba. There are concerns about the long-term trajectories for a fiat system to survive in such a competitive environment, especially with the increasing demand for non-essential goods like streaming services and online games. The recent COVID-19 pandemic has only intensified this trend, with online retailers benefitting while traditional brick and mortar stores struggle. The conversation also raises questions about the future of consumer behavior and
TimeSkip
A short primer for the topic can be found here:

https://econ243.academic.wlu.edu/2017/04/07/disruptive-deflationary-technology/

Mainly the gist of the issue has to do with technology such as, cell phones, the internet, artificial intelligence, automated services, increasing efficiency and other productivity measures in the economy to create a decrease in prices for the consumer in the economy.

Since the start of the dot com boom consumer prices for digital products have been falling, as seen in the following.
figure-1-defla-small.png

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econ...consumer-digital-access-services-20200715.htm

With the advent of Amazon in the US or Alibaba in China, this effect has spread and slightly accelerated in the economy. There are suspicions that the net effect will contribute to a better life for the consumer due to decreasing costs of hedonic goods such as Netflix or the next 4k TV. It has puzzled me that companies like Apple have been able to survive on its iPhone for so long.

What interests me most are the long term trajectories for a fiat system to survive in a competitive environment. I simply don't see the growth of the economy prospering very well with a US Federal minimum wage of some seven dollars, with growing apathy from the public sector towards progress when the typification of consumer behavior is towards the need for more non-essential goods such as Hulu, online games such as World of Warcraft or Call of Duty, faster internet, and etc.

In a recent news article from Bloomberg, it is said that this tendency has increased or sped up during COVID-19. They say:

Online retailers would continue to benefit from stay-at-home consumers but the pressure on shopping malls would intensify. Many more heavily-leveraged retailers and others with huge debt service would fold.

See.

Now that COVID-19 is coming to an end and new economic trends are arising, my concern or question arising from the above is a question about what will likely happen in the near future due to these tendencies in the economy arising and being enhanced by further more intelligent AI.

I don't mean to sound off my rocker; but, the ever high envious interest of the rich by a rather minimum wage worker as myself would find has been decreasing or dissipating. What are your economic forecasts of consumer behavior or economic tendencies due to the above information provided? Demographics show that there are more retired individuals rather than workers in the economy. Many young adults don't have stable jobs and work online making money from this new sector, which poses a threat to existing industries seeking new job applicants. With the advent of Generalized Artificial Intelligence, this trend will no doubt continue for as long as foresight allows.

So, what are your thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
TimeSkip said:
A short primer for the topic can be found here:

https://econ243.academic.wlu.edu/2017/04/07/disruptive-deflationary-technology/

Mainly the gist of the issue has to do with technology such as, cell phones, the internet, artificial intelligence, automated services, increasing efficiency and other productivity measures in the economy to create a decrease in prices for the consumer in the economy.
I only skimmed, but I don't see that it says that, and it doesn't make sense to me. Certain products are deflationary for themselves, but that doesn't mean they create deflation for other sectors of the economy. E.G., it looks like the article says computers are deflationary, but luxury cars are not. Please quote something that verifies you have correctly described the thesis.

russ_watters said:
Please quote something that verifies you have correctly described the thesis.
Something like the advent of Generalized Artificial Intelligence could be one example. Another would be something like Uber for the taxi service. Another would be and is well documented the cell phone.

I think those are sufficient examples about what would count as goods that create a deflationary trend in the economic sector.

Here's a better and more documented example:
Accounting for the volume of data, voice and programming consumed using digital access services yields a price index that has fallen rapidly and at an accelerating pace for 30 years. The markedly different price trajectory for this noteworthy component of the consumption basket amplifies the slowdown in consumer prices in recent years, a fact unremarked upon in previous literature.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econ...consumer-digital-access-services-20200715.htm

russ_watters said:
Certain products are deflationary for themselves, but that doesn't mean they create deflation for other sectors of the economy.
Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand how a good is deflationary of itself. Are you talking about technology or core essential goods over time?

1. What is deflation and how does technology contribute to it?

Deflation is a decrease in the general price level of goods and services in an economy. Technology contributes to deflation by increasing productivity and efficiency, leading to a decrease in production costs and ultimately lower prices for consumers.

2. How does the increasing deflationary impact of technology affect businesses?

The increasing deflationary impact of technology can have both positive and negative effects on businesses. On one hand, it can lead to lower production costs and increased competitiveness. On the other hand, it can also result in lower profit margins and the need for constant innovation to keep up with rapidly changing technology.

3. What industries are most affected by the increasing deflationary impact of technology?

Industries that heavily rely on technology, such as electronics, telecommunications, and software, are most affected by the increasing deflationary impact of technology. These industries experience constant advancements in technology, leading to lower prices and increased competition.

4. How does the increasing deflationary impact of technology impact the job market?

The increasing deflationary impact of technology can lead to job displacement in certain industries, as tasks become automated and require less human labor. However, it also creates new job opportunities in fields related to technology, such as data analysis and software development.

5. What can be done to mitigate the negative effects of the increasing deflationary impact of technology?

To mitigate the negative effects of the increasing deflationary impact of technology, businesses can focus on providing unique and high-value products and services that are not easily replicated by technology. Governments can also implement policies to support workers affected by job displacement and promote education and training in emerging technology fields.