Collection of Lame Jokes

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: It's a humor that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness. It's not for everyone.Not a fan of surrealism, I take it?In summary, surrealism is an art form that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness, often producing incongruous imagery or effects. It may not be appreciated by everyone, but for those who do, it can be quite humorous.
  • #18,901
I guess that I'll point out that the persons using them in my case weren't the sharpest tools in the box either.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #18,902
It's always possible things happened the other way round, and your content was copied somehow, somewhat, into public sources.

• #18,903
On the topic of unintended plagiarism, I remember a popular fantasy author accused of lifting characters, terms and plot devices for her highly successful series of juvenile novels from a rather obscure short story published when she was a child, since out of print. Her defenders argued that 1) if she had read that story as a child, any reuse of ideas was unconscious and marginal; and 2) her elaborate development of the characters, setting, and story greatly exceeded any claim the short story author could attach to her development and subsequent book and film rights.

• #18,904
from my wood ID web site:
1714502075896.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, dextercioby, nuuskur and 2 others
  • #18,905
This reminds me of that time when I did an ego-Google and discovered someone at a top-10% university had plagiarized a topology essay of mine … 😏

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, dextercioby, nuuskur and 2 others
  • #18,906
WWGD said:
It's always possible things happened the other way round, and your content was copied somehow, somewhat, into public sources.
Nope. The reviewer was required to state what was plagerized and specifically noted those items.

• #18,907
1714508063707.png

• Love
Likes davenn, BillTre and Bystander
  • #18,908
phinds said:
from my wood ID web site:
View attachment 344313
Or to quote Tom Lehrer:

Plagiarise! Plagiarise!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes!
So don't shade your eyes, but plagiarise,
Plagiarise, plagiarise, plagiarise!
(Only be sure to call it always please, "research".)

Likes BillTre
  • #18,909
Ibix said:
Or to quote Tom Lehrer:

Plagiarise! Plagiarise!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes!
So don't shade your eyes, but plagiarise,
Plagiarise, plagiarise, plagiarise!
(Only be sure to call it always please, "research".)

Oh look, we’re back on topic!

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #18,910
Orodruin said:
Oh look, we’re back on topic!
Both on topic and derailed in one post. I'm quite proud of it. 😁

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #18,911
Borg said:
Nope. The reviewer was required to state what was plagerized and specifically noted those items.
I meant in a general sense.

• #18,912
The latest weight loss fad:
Walking to the paint store to get thinner.

Likes Ibix, BillTre and jack action
  • #18,913
Orodruin said:
these tools are not "plagiarism detectors", they are text matching tools.
Well, they still are detectors, they're just rally bad at it - very high false-positive track record. :)

• #18,914
DaveC426913 said:
very high false-positive track record
False positive, or false inference/conclusion? Just because there is a match, there is not necessarily plagiarism. For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:

• #18,915
berkeman said:
For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:
Very much not. That is up to the user.

• #18,916
Orodruin said:
Very much not. That is up to the user.
Yikes. How am I supposed to quote from another paper with attribution? I'm probably misunderstanding your reply.

• #18,917
berkeman said:
Yikes. How am I supposed to quote from another paper with attribution? I'm probably misunderstanding your reply.
As I said, it is a text matching tool. If you quote something verbatim then obviously it is going to return a match. It is up to the user of the tool to determine if it is actual plagiarism or not.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
  • #18,918
Borg said:
I got 'caught' by a plagiarism program once on an exam where I was instructed to submit my exam with specific section and title names. It flagged those items. :rolleyes:

1714520435885.png

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, Borg, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #18,919
berkeman said:
False positive, or false inference/conclusion? Just because there is a match, there is not necessarily plagiarism. For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:
The detector simply detects what it is programmed to detect, much like a pregnancy test. Pregnancy test are still pregnancy tests, even what they are detecting is HCG and have a degree of error in what conclusions should be inferred from that.

• #18,920
berkeman said:
By that logic, the previous several messages were plagiarizing a preceding message, just like this one. :cool:

• #18,921
BillTre said:
By that logic, the previous several messages were plagiarizing a preceding message, just like this one. :cool:
1714545351188.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Borg and BillTre
  • #18,922
1714578833871.png

• Haha
Likes dwarde, Ibix, nuuskur and 1 other person
  • #18,923
What do you call a pig that crosses the road, rolls in the mud on the other side, and then crosses back over?

A dirty double-crosser.

Likes Ibix, gmax137 and BillTre
  • #18,924
Screenshot_20240430_210601_YouTube.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Likes davenn, nsaspook, nuuskur and 2 others
  • #18,925
Screenshot_20240430_210656_YouTube.jpg

Likes davenn and Ibix
  • #18,926
Alpha
FB_IMG_1705953446936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes Borg, WWGD, Ibix and 2 others
  • #18,927
dextercioby said:
Isn't he entitled to a jury of his peers? The fire hydrant and the tree at least look more like pee-ees.

• #18,928
Screenshot_20240430_173315_YouTube.jpg

• Haha
Likes jack action, nuuskur and BillTre
  • #18,929
Screenshot_20240430_172657_YouTube.jpg

• Love
Likes jack action, nuuskur and BillTre
  • #18,930
Advanced organic chemistry feels like learning 'shapes' in kindergarten - but you're deeply mentally challenged.

Likes Bandersnatch
  • #18,931
1714630839290.png

• Haha
Likes 256bits, gmax137, Tom.G and 3 others
  • #18,933
1714657726353.jpeg

Likes 256bits, davenn, nsaspook and 1 other person
  • #18,934
1714664360825.png

• Love
Likes 256bits, davenn, Ibix and 3 others