Can Curiosity in Physics Lead to a Deeper Understanding?

In summary, In this conversation, the newcomer asks a question about physics and receives a helpful response from the community. They mention that the rules are a bit more relaxed in the lounge, and Evo is the moderator. They also mention that nobody is useless, and that Evo used to be but now her old toilet brush has broken. They talk about the community's love of discussing serious science, and mention that sometimes someone will ask a question that the newcomer can answer. They also mention that Evo hasn't been around in a while, and speculate that she might have expanded away. They end the conversation by talking about a problem they're having with boards and nails.
icvotria
I love this site, it's so good, I'm so glad I found it! I only joined to just ask one question cos in class I suddenly got worried I was being expanded and it's a night class so the teacher hasn't got time to indulge in my compulsive fantasies so I joined and asked and now I'm totally hooked on reading all these exciting threads about strings and light and stuff, it's great, even though I only understand about 1/8 of it. (...Deep breath) And everyone answers your questions so conclusively and well. I can't wait til another couple of years when I'm better at physics so I don't feel so inferior and I can answer dumb questions instead of just asking them. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF icvotria! PF is a wonderful place for discussion of serious science. You will find many knowledgeable people gathered here and everyone benefits from the exchange of knowledge.

Down here in the lounge, the rules are a bit more relaxed.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Evo said:
You will find many knowledgeable people gathered here and everyone benefits from the exchange of knowledge.

this does not apply to ALL PF members! :smile:

Ditto - Welcome to PF icvotria!
Evo said:
Down here in the lounge, the rules are a bit more relaxed.
Yeh, Evo is the moderator here, and we've polluted her. :biggrin:

icvotria said:
I can't wait til another couple of years when I'm better at physics so I don't feel so inferior and I can answer dumb questions instead of just asking them. :smile:
Welcome for sure! I'm a newcomer myself, but have been made to feel like part of the family (okay, a cousin that they keep in the basement and don't talk about, but family nonetheless :rolleyes: ).
Please keep in mind that there is no such thing as a dumb question as long as you really want to know the answer. There are a couple of guys around here who don't get that, but we make sure they know about it. (Down here in GD you will see stupid questions frequently, but we do it on purpose to twit each other.) Also, since this forum as no specific topic, and couldn't stick to it even if it did, there's a strong possibility that someone might have a problem or question that you are uniquely qualified to deal with. Nobody is useless here. (Smurf used to be, but then our old toilet brush broke... :-p)

icvotria said:
I love this site, it's so good, I'm so glad I found it! I only joined to just ask one question cos in class I suddenly got worried I was being expanded

I only told you that you weren't expanding so that you wouldn't try to run off and spend your last moments with your family or something. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Nobody is useless here. (Smurf used to be, but then our old toilet brush broke... :-p)
Thanks for not using me for this reference. :biggrin: Now, stop teasing Smurf and get back down in your basement room.

Welcome icvotria. :smile:

Artman said:
Thanks for not using me for this reference. :biggrin:
It's only because you don't have enough hair to make an effective brush. If, on the other hand, it was a plunger that we needed... :-p

Danger said:
It's only because you don't have enough hair to make an effective brush. If, on the other hand, it was a plunger that we needed... :-p
We have got to get that basement lock fixed. :-p

Artman said:
We have got to get that basement lock fixed. :-p
Won't work. Locksmith, remember? :biggrin:

Danger said:
Won't work. Locksmith, remember? :biggrin:
Crap, we've got a problem.

SpaceTiger said:
I only told you that you weren't expanding so that you wouldn't try to run off and spend your last moments with your family or something. :biggrin:

I think I need to start visiting the physics section more often. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I think I need to start visiting the physics section more often. :smile:
It's a lot of fun. It just blows me away that once in a while someone asks something that I can answer.
Y'know, Icvotria hasn't appeared since her original post. You don't suppose we scared the poor girl away already, do you? :frown:

Danger said:
It's a lot of fun. It just blows me away that once in a while someone asks something that I can answer.
Y'know, Icvotria hasn't appeared since her original post. You don't suppose we scared the poor girl away already, do you? :frown:

Maybe she expanded away. :bugeye:

Artman said:
Crap, we've got a problem.
Boards and Nails?

SpaceTiger said:
I don't know why I never made the connection before... what about those exploding frogs? Maybe she was right!

don't bring up another thread, you'll confuse someone(me) :-p

yomamma said:
don't bring up another thread, you'll confuse someone(me) :-p
You've made it this far despite our best efforts. I don't think you're going to be that easy to lose. :-p

I feel special... :smile:

yomamma said:
I feel special... :smile:
Don't get comfortable. It'll just make us try harder.

damn, stupid asses got me in a position I can't get out of... :rolleyes:

yomamma said:
damn, stupid asses got me in a position I can't get out of... :rolleyes:
I know the feeling. I ran into the same problem with a yoga-loving hooker in Vegas once.

Danger said:
I know the feeling. I ran into the same problem with a yoga-loving hooker in Vegas once.
lol :smile:

yomamma said:
lol :smile:
Maybe when you're older and when recalling it doesn't make my arthritis flare up.

edit: Hey, you twerp! Your edit of that quote totally screws up this post. Well, I'm not going to change it, so there! :-p

Last edited:
Hee hee hee. I didn't get expanded but I nearly got differentiated. No one was clever enough though. I was out being a drunken hooligan but now I'm back and I'm never drinking again.

icvotria said:
I'm never drinking again.
Suuuurrrrre :rolleyes:
I've been saying that intermittently for 35 years. It never lasts more than a day or two. :-p
This wasn't Brewnog's birthday party, was it? :wink: :wink:

Smurf said:
Boards and Nails?
That's thinkin' Smurf. I also thought about mortar and block.

:rolleyes: Okay, maybe we could leave a few air holes. :biggrin:

Artman said:
:rolleyes: Okay, maybe we could leave a few air holes. :biggrin:
What's the point?

Danger said:
Suuuurrrrre :rolleyes:
I've been saying that intermittently for 35 years. It never lasts more than a day or two. :-p
Perhaps it won't last, I think I need to get copiously drunk to forget all the bad things I did when I was copiously drunk. Mine's a double JD and coke please barkeep...

yomamma said:
What's the point?
True, he'll probably gnaw a hole through some spot after a few hours. :-p

Related to Can Curiosity in Physics Lead to a Deeper Understanding?

1. What is the main purpose of "Unleashing My Physics Curiosity - A Journey Begins"?

The main purpose of this journey is to explore and satisfy one's curiosity about the fundamental principles and laws that govern the physical world around us.

2. Who is the target audience for this journey?

The target audience for this journey is anyone who is interested in learning about physics, regardless of their level of prior knowledge or experience.

3. What topics will be covered in this journey?

This journey will cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

4. Will there be hands-on experiments or demonstrations included in this journey?

Yes, this journey will include hands-on experiments and demonstrations to help illustrate and reinforce the concepts being discussed.

5. Can this journey be completed without any prior knowledge of physics?

Yes, this journey is designed to be accessible to those with no prior knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of mathematics and scientific principles will be helpful.