How Much Do We Really Know About the Universe?

• Thread starter cmb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the extent of human knowledge and whether we have a complete understanding of the universe or if there is more to discover. Some believe we are halfway there, while others argue that we already know a lot of what is knowable. However, the concept of knowledge itself is also questioned, as not all knowledge is deemed equally valuable. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the limitations of philosophical questions and how they often revolve around definitions and semantics.
cmb
Excluding what is unknowable, and stuff that is made up (stories, soap opera plot lines, stuff like that), how much do we know that is knowable.

This is a semi-serious philosophical question, I'm not after a scientifically referenced percentage just opinions and thoughts from the highly knowledgeable forum congregation here.

But, I mean, we seem to know a heck of a lot and discovered the inner ticking clock workings of the universe to a degree over the last century in particular.

How much more is there to go? Have we got a mostly complete picture, or just half way there, or we are ridiculously naïve and know so little that if we met a vastly more informed and intelligent extra terrestrial species they'd look upon our level of intelligent understanding like we would look upon a slug?

I think we're 'sort of half way there' but haven't quite got all the data in yet to join up the dots. I fear that some people (particularly at political levels) think science holds all the answers already.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much is known is unknown.

We seem to know a lot about the relationship of things and less about the absolute nature of things and given that our most advanced theories are pushing at the frontier of the unknowable already, I think as a society, we know a lot of what is actually knowable.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
I think as a society, we know a lot of what is actually knowable.
Makes sense, we know what we know.
It also seems reasonable that we will never know what is unknowable.

Likes bob012345
Doesn't this beg the question what is knowledge? What about Laplace's demon, for example. Not all knowledge is equally valuable to most of us. We all remember useless things that we would be happy to forget, for example.

This is why I'm not a fan of most philosophical questions, many ultimately boil down to definitions and semantics. Disagreements are usually the result of poorly defined questions.

Likes BillTre

1. How did the universe begin?

The current leading theory is the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe began as a singularity about 13.8 billion years ago. However, the exact cause of the Big Bang is still unknown and remains a topic of ongoing research and debate.

2. How large is the universe?

The observable universe is estimated to have a diameter of about 93 billion light years. However, the universe may be much larger and could potentially be infinite in size.

3. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter is a type of matter that is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light and is only detected through its gravitational effects on other objects. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. Are there other universes?

This is a topic of speculation and has not been proven. Some theories, such as the multiverse theory, suggest that there may be multiple universes beyond our own. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea.

5. How do we study and learn about the universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the universe, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also use mathematical models and theories to understand the behavior of the universe. Additionally, data from space missions and experiments are constantly being collected and analyzed to expand our knowledge of the universe.