Can a Death Star weapon actually be built?

In summary, the Death Star in Star Wars does not actually work as described. It is impractical and would require an astronomical amount of energy.
Vanadium 50 said:
If I proposed the Death Star is powered by magic, I'd be deluged with "everybody knows there's no such thing as magic". But I replace "magic" with "infinity stones", now suddenly everything's OK. :confused:
I get the irony, but it's not as illogical as all that.

"Infinity stones" are a reference to an acknowledged fiction - the MCU.

"Magic" has no such implicit reference (or too many), and thus it is ambiguous as to whether you mean it as a fictional canon, or if you actually believe it.By rights, instead of being deluged with "everybody knows there's no such thing as magic", thoughtful readers should instead be deluging you with "to which universe's magic do you refer? Vader's? Potter's? Gandalf's? Highlander's? "

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
lucas_ said:
[...snip]
Speaking of conventional. I reviewed the concept of laser like lasing, what is the maximum megawatts a laser source like death star can give? And what manner of lasing can produce big size laser beams. What lasing source do they use in the navy?
Real world answers would be classified data but the upper limit on laser power output probably occurs when your apparatus melts or vaporizes. The movie "Real Genius" describes a single-shot chemical laser and a rotating mirror on gimbals necessary to direct the laser beam and protect the optics from meltdown.

The film climaxes in a laser shot from the upper atmosphere at a rotating prism that distributes the heat to cook popcorn instead of blasting a military convoy. The laser destroys itself but not the aircraft that carries it aloft.

DaveC426913 said:
thoughtful readers should instead be deluging you with "to which universe's magic do you refer? Vader's? Potter's? Gandalf's? Highlander's? "

Clearly the Evil Stepmother, given that like Star Wars (and Infinity Stones) it's a Disney property.

Likes DaveC426913
Klystron said:
Real world answers would be classified data but the upper limit on laser power output probably occurs when your apparatus melts or vaporizes. The movie "Real Genius" describes a single-shot chemical laser and a rotating mirror on gimbals necessary to direct the laser beam and protect the optics from meltdown.

The film climaxes in a laser shot from the upper atmosphere at a rotating prism that distributes the heat to cook popcorn instead of blasting a military convoy. The laser destroys itself but not the aircraft that carries it aloft.

Oh yes. I will watch Real Genius again tonight.

Infinity stones and Death Star rays were so ingrained deep in the subconscious of the public because many legends spoke of them. For example. Edgar Cayce described big crystals with death ray that destroyed the civilization of Atlantis. In fact, the Bible started right after the destruction (the Flood) with Pyramids already existing. It didn't mention how the Pyramids were built for example.

Just for fuller historical and mythical context.

lucas_ said:
Infinity stones and Death Star rays were so ingrained deep in the subconscious of the public because many legends spoke of them.
Er. What?

I guess you're talking about post Star Wars and post-MCU millennials?

lucas_ said:
For example. Edgar Cayce described big crystals with death ray that destroyed the civilization of Atlantis.
Is this Edgar guy a mythical figure who has become ingrained in our subconscious?

lucas_ said:
In fact, the Bible started right after the destruction (the Flood) with Pyramids already existing. It didn't mention how the Pyramids were built for example.
So ... the pyramids were built by a Grand Moff Tarkin/Thanos team-up?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Closed for moderation.

Likes member 656954