Choosing a Session: A Physicist from the Future Drinks Rum During Q&A

James William Hall
Gold Member
The premise is straight forward: A physicist from 100 years in the future grants a serious Q&A with physicists of today by issuing tickets whereby the questioners had to choose to attend one of three consecutive one hour sessions, A, B, or C. The physicist from the future tells everyone that he will be drinking a liter of his favorite rum steadily throughout the whole three hours. Which of the three sessions would you choose to attend?

• Skeptical
Likes sbrothy
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a story premise? If so, what is the point of us selecting A, B or C? Or is unrelated to SF?

I objected to the creation of this section, afraid it would become a magnet and/or dustbin for substandard threads. Please tell me that's not what this is.

Likes difalcojr
I think you are right. This is not a question/answer section like the real science threads. I found out myself that serious science matters can get very non-serious solutions in this section. Came to realize, I guess, that this was the FICTION section, and I was serious about a real science question, and was in the wrong section.

Instead of dumping the whole section, possibly pre-screen sub-par threads closely, block bad ones, and advise members of why the substandard material was blocked.

I joined this forum last August, somewhat desperate to make known a new, monochromatic, monocentric, perfect singlet/doublet lens model for all wavelengths. I have a BS, worked as an engineer in my lifetime. I did manage finally to get the members and patient Mentor to verify my results. Which was the only way the equations could be validated. New, unverified ideas are against forum rules, and the associated threads were closed, accordingly. The mentors used great temerity to keep the thread open online, though, and I applaud them loudly for that. It was not a homework problem, though, nor was it even in existing textbooks.

So, this section has been fun and needed by me. I have posted some diagrams and a short story that give out the lens model information in this section too. My find is still fiction, but valid science fiction. I am happy to be able to post it somewhere. Optica Publishing rejected my paper. I too wish there was a section to discuss new ideas seriously, but only informally. Maybe separating SF from Fantasy in this section would do it. One part real, the other unreal.

That spaceship artwork in this section by that artist was great too. Very creative.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't answer the question, and that will probably limit the number of useful answers you get: Is this a story premise? If so, what is the point of us selecting A, B or C?

Premise for what? What's the storyline of that? It's a moronic question that only an alcoholic physicist, when drunk, might even think of answering, I'd reckon. Unless he wanted to destroy his reputation by giving any response at all.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
James William Hall said:
The premise is straight forward: A physicist from 100 years in the future grants a serious Q&A with physicists of today by issuing tickets whereby the questioners had to choose to attend one of three consecutive one hour sessions, A, B, or C. The physicist from the future tells everyone that he will be drinking a liter of his favorite rum steadily throughout the whole three hours. Which of the three sessions would you choose to attend?
There is an obvious answer that transcends the discussion of whether the Sci-Fi subforum is worthy of inclusion at PF. I think the answer is pretty obvious.

If you slip the right drug into their drink early in the first hour, they will end up answering anything you want with no ability to conceal anything. Duh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_serum

Likes difalcojr
I suppose it could make for an amusing aside as part of a larger plot, like a Vogan poetry reading.

Likes difalcojr
Maybe the physicist from 100 years in the future won’t know much more than physicists today

The OP left immediately after posting and hasn't been back since. He sure fooled us good, didn't he?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
BWV said:
Maybe the physicist from 100 years in the future won’t know much more than physicists today
MOND versus Dark matter argument still going ;)

• Haha
Likes BWV
Vanadium 50 said:
The OP left immediately after posting and hasn't been back since. He sure fooled us good, didn't he?
Or we lost an opportunity to question a drunk physicist from the future.

• Haha
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Is it possible that the OP is a visitor from the future, here to distract us with the absurd and inane, lest someone here develop some nefarious technology? Our Person from Porlock, as it were. It would explain so much.

Possibly. Alternatively, a crack sleuth like Columbo might smell something a little fishy about the first question itself. Troll bait?!

I don't know if it is troll bait - but it does seem like a stink bomb. It's also not original. The idea was done much better almost a half century ago in the Barney Miller episode The Child Stealers.

Harris: You realize that we don't believe any of this.
Time Traveler: That's why I can tell you.

• Haha
Likes difalcojr
Pass the bottle!

• Haha
Likes difalcojr
PeroK said:
Pass the bottle!
If a time traveler goes back in time, buys a bottle of Scotch and takes it back to his own time, can he legally sell it as 100 years old?

Vanadium 50 said:
If a time traveler goes back in time, buys a bottle of Scotch and takes it back to his own time, can he legally sell it as 100 years old?
I believe aging is counted in the barrel, not the bottle.

Likes PeroK
(P.S. In previous post above, I mistakenly used an incorrect English word, i.e., 'temerity'. Should have been 'temperance'. I thought they were synonyms. Turns out they're antonyms!! My apologies to the Mentors.)

Ah, demon alcohol. Kinks sang a song about it.
"Here's a story about a sinner. He used to be a winner who enjoyed a life of prominence and position."

Witness also now the sad tale of once-famed physicist Matt Foley, seen here still in recovery, as he performs, as only he could perform, his famous classroom demonstration, the explanation of the physics of Energy and Newton's second law.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
James William Hall said:
It seems like there is something missing from the question. There is no indication that the physicist would be evasive, or that one might get the "wrong" session with the physicist too drunk to answer. I thought there might be a twist where the time traveler is still going backwards and so gets less drunk as time goes on. But the question doesn't really support that either. So I agree. Weak thread.

What is the main theme of "Choosing a Session: A Physicist from the Future Drinks Rum During Q&A"?

The main theme of this fictional session is exploring the intersection of advanced physics concepts with casual, informal discussions, possibly in a conference or public speaking setting. The scenario suggests a blend of humor and science, where a physicist from the future engages with the audience while enjoying a relaxed atmosphere, symbolized by drinking rum.

How does the physicist from the future contribute to the session?

The physicist, being from the future, likely brings insights into future scientific developments and technologies. Their contributions would include sharing knowledge that is not yet known or understood in the present time, providing a unique and potentially enlightening perspective on physics and its applications.

Why does the physicist drink rum during the Q&A?

The act of drinking rum during the Q&A could be a thematic choice to depict the session as more laid-back and approachable, breaking the typical formal barriers of scientific discourse. This could help in making the content more accessible and engaging to the audience, encouraging a more open and interactive dialogue.

What kind of questions might the audience ask in this session?

In such a session, the audience might ask questions ranging from theoretical physics and its implications for the future, to how specific future technologies work. Questions could also be about the personal experiences of the physicist in the future, as well as their perspective on the evolution of scientific thought and inquiry.

What is the significance of the session's title?

The title "Choosing a Session: A Physicist from the Future Drinks Rum During Q&A" suggests a choice among multiple concurrent sessions, possibly at a conference, where this particular session is highlighted by its informal and intriguing format. It emphasizes the unique approach of combining serious scientific discussion with a relaxed and engaging element, making it stand out as a choice for attendees.