Calculating Present Value of a Growing Annuity with Monthly Payments

If you've actually tried anything, you should have that formula.In summary, the problem asks for the present value of a twenty year annuity with end of month payments, starting at $100 and increasing by $10 each year. The effective annual interest rate is 4%. The solution requires the use of a formula for calculating present value.
micaehl1985
1. 5. A twenty year annuity has end of month payments. The first year the payments are each $100. In subsequent years each payment increases by $10 over what it was the previous year. Find the present value of the annuity if i = 4% is the effective annual interest rate.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We are not here to do your homework for you. You must show some effort first.

I am not sure how to do this question. I tried to solve it.

I am not sure how to do this question. I tried to solve it.

Uh, okay? And how is repeating that in any way useful. Pengwuino didn't expect you to provide an entire solution, because you wouldn't be here in the first place if you had one. Showing effort means show us what you've tried.

This shouldn't be that hard. The present value of any type of quantity has a very specific formula.

Related to Calculating Present Value of a Growing Annuity with Monthly Payments

1. What is the Theory of Interest?

The Theory of Interest is a concept in economics and finance that explains the relationship between interest rates, time, and money. It states that the value of money changes over time and that interest is the price paid for the use of money over a period of time.

2. What are the key assumptions of the Theory of Interest?

The key assumptions of the Theory of Interest include perfect competition, market efficiency, and rational behavior by individuals and institutions. It also assumes that there is no inflation or risk involved in lending or borrowing money.

3. How does the Theory of Interest impact financial decision-making?

The Theory of Interest plays a crucial role in financial decision-making. It helps individuals and institutions understand the relationship between interest rates, time, and money, and make informed decisions about lending, borrowing, and investing.

4. What are the limitations of the Theory of Interest?

One major limitation of the Theory of Interest is that it assumes perfect market conditions and rational behavior, which may not always be the case in the real world. It also does not take into account factors such as inflation, risk, and government policies that can impact interest rates.

5. How is the Theory of Interest applied in real-world scenarios?

The Theory of Interest is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as setting interest rates by central banks, calculating the cost of borrowing for individuals and businesses, and determining the value of investments over time. It is also used in financial planning and forecasting to make informed decisions about future investments and savings.