Given price of an annuity and its level payments, find the interest rate

In summary, a 30-year monthly-payment mortgage loan of 300,000 is offered at a nominal rate of 0.072 converted monthly. This results in a monthly effective interest rate of 0.006 and a calculated monthly payment of 2036.36. However, when the loan closes, the lender charges a fee of 3 'points' (9000) which raises the lender's yield. Effectively, the borrower is only receiving a loan of 291,000 with an increased interest rate. To find the actual annual rate, the loan can be modified by setting the present value to 291,000 and calculating the interest rate, resulting in a monthly rate of 0.006257 and an actual annual nominal
Eclair_de_XII
Homework Statement
Suppose the present-value of some annuity is some positive number ##A##. Suppose that its periodic payments are some positive number ##P##. Find the interest rate ##i##, given the number of periods.
Relevant Equations
##A=P\,a_{n|i}##
A 30-year monthly-payment mortgage loan for 300,000 is offered at a nominal rate of 0.072 converted monthly. Thus the monthly effective interest rate is 0.006 and the calculated monthly payment is 2036.36. (Calculate the payment (PMT) on your calculator and leave it there for the moment.)

When the loan closes, the lender applies a fee of 3 'points' for which no service is performed. It is taking 0.03 of the loan amount (9000) as a fee that raises the lender's yield. In effect, the borrower is receiving a loan of only 291,000. This increases the borrower's interest rate. To see this, modify the loan in your calculator by setting PV = 291,000 and CPT I/Y. The result is a monthly rate of 0.006257. Multiply this by 12 to find the borrowers actual actual nominal annual rate: 0.075083.

##\textbf{Actual ``Work''}##

##\mathrm{PV}=A\,a_{n|i}##
##\frac{\mathrm{PV}}{A}i=1-(1+i)^{-n}##

I'm not sure if I could solve for ##i## algebraically. Is there any way of doing this without using a calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
A 30-year monthly-payment mortgage loan for 300,000 is offered at a nominal rate of 0.072 converted monthly. Thus the monthly effective interest rate is 0.006 and the calculated monthly payment is 2036.36. (Calculate the payment (PMT) on your calculator and leave it there for the moment.)

I have poor literacy on economy. So let me learn your way. I read without interest monthly equal payment is
[tex]\frac{300,000}{30*12}=833.33...[/tex]
You say both 0.072 and 0.006 are rate of month but I assume 0.072 is annually and 0.006 is monthly because of factor 12, right?
Accumulated interest in 30 yrs is
[tex]0.072*30=2.16[/tex]
times mortage. So the amount we should pay once 30 yrs later divided by 360 month is
[tex]833.33*(1+2.16)=2633.32[/tex]
,right ?
I have no idea how number 2036.36 comes from these numbers. I should appreciate it if you would teach its calculation formula to me so that I might be able to have mortgage in future.

Last edited:

Related to Given price of an annuity and its level payments, find the interest rate

1. How do you calculate the interest rate of an annuity?

The interest rate of an annuity can be calculated by using the formula: i = (PMT / PV) * ((1 + i)^n - 1), where PMT is the level payment, PV is the present value of the annuity, and n is the number of payments.

2. What is the present value of an annuity?

The present value of an annuity is the current value of a series of future payments, discounted at a specific interest rate. It takes into account the time value of money and allows for a fair comparison of different investment options.

3. Can the interest rate of an annuity change over time?

No, the interest rate of an annuity is typically fixed for the entire duration of the annuity. However, some annuities may have variable interest rates that are tied to market performance.

4. How does the payment frequency affect the interest rate of an annuity?

The payment frequency does not directly affect the interest rate of an annuity. However, it can impact the total amount of interest earned over time. For example, a monthly payment frequency will result in more frequent compounding, leading to higher overall interest earned.

5. What other factors should be considered when determining the interest rate of an annuity?

In addition to the level payments and present value, the maturity date, payment frequency, and any additional fees or taxes should also be taken into account when calculating the interest rate of an annuity.