Continuously payable annuities with force of interest

In summary, the conversation discussed splitting a continuous payment stream into two separate streams, one with a 10-year term and one with a 4-year term, both with a rate of 1000 per year. The present value of this payment stream was expressed using the formula ##1000a_{10}+1000a_4##. However, the problem required a final value and also neglected to mention that the second stream would start in six years. The correct formula to use is ##1000\left(\frac{1-v^{10}}{\delta}+v^{6}\frac{1-v^4}{\delta}\right)## and after correcting for errors in the interest and force of interest values, the final value
Eclair_de_XII
Homework Statement
An account pays interest at a continuously compounded rate of 0.05 per year. Continuous deposits are made to the account at a rate of 1000 per year for 6 years and then at a rate of 2000 per year for the next 4 years. What is the account balance at the end of 10 years?
Relevant Equations
##\bar{a}_n=\frac{1-v^n}{\delta}##
##v=\frac{1}{1+i}##
##\delta=\ln(1+i)##

Answer: ##17402.48##
I split the continuous payment stream into two separate streams:

1. one 10-year payment stream with a rate of 1000 per year
2. one 4-year payment stream with a rate of 1000 pewr year

I expressed the present value of this payment stream as:

##\begin{align}
1000a_{10}+1000a_4&=&1000(a_{10}+a_4)\\
&=&\frac{1000}{\delta}(2-(v^{10}+v^4))
\end{align}
##

The problem gave:

##i=0.05##
##\delta=\ln(1.05)\approx 0.04879##
##v=\frac{1}{1.05}\approx 0.95238##

I evaluated the equation with these values and got: ##11547.09##. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated a present value, whereas the question asks for a final value.
Also, you have not deferred the second stream. It runs for four years, commencing in six years time.

Okay, I got it. I seem to have also mixed up the interest rate and the force of interest values:

##\delta=0.05##
##i=\exp(\delta)-1\approx 0.0513##
##v=\frac{1}{1+i}\approx 0.9512##

##\begin{align*}
(1+i)^{-10}FV&=&PV\\
&=&1000a_{10}+v^{6}1000a_{4}\\
&=&1000\left(\frac{1-v^{10}}{\delta}+v^{6}\frac{1-v^4}{\delta}\right)\\
&=&\frac{1000}{\delta}(1-v^{10}+v^6-v^{10})\\
&=&\frac{1000}{\delta}(1-2v^{10}+v^6)
\end{align*}##

I multiply the thing on the right by ##(1+i)^{10}## and then I get the desired value.

Thank you for pointing out my errors.

Related to Continuously payable annuities with force of interest

1. What is a continuously payable annuity with force of interest?

A continuously payable annuity with force of interest is a type of annuity that provides a continuous stream of payments to the annuitant, with the interest rate being determined by the performance of a specific financial index or benchmark. This type of annuity offers the potential for higher returns compared to traditional fixed annuities.

2. How does the force of interest affect the payments of a continuously payable annuity?

The force of interest is a factor that is used to calculate the interest rate for a continuously payable annuity. It takes into account the performance of a financial index or benchmark, and can result in higher or lower payments depending on the performance of the index. If the index performs well, the payments may increase, but if it performs poorly, the payments may decrease.

3. What are the benefits of a continuously payable annuity with force of interest?

One of the main benefits of this type of annuity is the potential for higher returns compared to traditional fixed annuities. Additionally, the payments are continuous, providing a steady stream of income for the annuitant. It also offers some protection against inflation, as the payments may increase if the index performs well.

4. Are there any risks associated with continuously payable annuities with force of interest?

As with any investment, there are risks involved with continuously payable annuities with force of interest. The performance of the index or benchmark can be unpredictable, which can result in lower payments or even a loss of principal. Additionally, these annuities may have higher fees and expenses compared to traditional fixed annuities.

5. Can a continuously payable annuity with force of interest be a good option for retirement planning?

This type of annuity can be a good option for retirement planning, as it offers a steady stream of income and potential for higher returns. However, it is important to carefully consider the risks and fees associated with this type of annuity and to consult with a financial advisor to determine if it is the right choice for your individual retirement goals and needs.