Avoiding homelessness on short timescale

• Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary: I'm not sure what will happen then. Basically, I'm in a lot of trouble and I don't know what to do.In summary, the person who is the head of household (renting it from someone else) is going to try to evict me on Dec. 1st...a full month ahead of when I thought I would have to deal with the issue. Not only are they going to try to evict me, they're going to attempt to accept my rent $ and *then* kick me out. They're also a drug addict and live without working by defrauding the state. I'm in a lot of trouble and don't know what to do.
Jack21222 said:
If you had stayed on this coast, I'd have a room for you in Baltimore. Seattle's so dreary anyway.

I was in the Midwest. I moved here because I was told to by the friend (who was acting as my protector at the time). I have more opportunities as a transgendered person here, but this situation is still very stressful.

Physics news on Phys.org
G037H3 said:
Is probably too much to hope for... =(

Hope doesn't get things done. There is a room for rent in west seattle, http://classifieds.thestranger.com/seattle/Results?section=oid%3A8" , might be too costly without getting the bank problem fixed though.

http://www.e-roommate.com/"is a roomate finding service which might have something.

Most newspapers and entertainment magazines have a room rental section. Another option would be to try and find a caretaker position at an apartment complex, they might give you a room as part of your pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jasongreat said:
Hope doesn't get things done. There is a room for rent in west seattle, http://classifieds.thestranger.com/seattle/Results?section=oid%3A8" , might be too costly without getting the bank problem fixed though.

http://www.e-roommate.com/"is a roomate finding service which might have something.

Most newspapers and entertainment magazines have a room rental section. Another option would be to try and find a caretaker position at an apartment complex, they might give you a room as part of your pay.

Thank you for the links. And ads from the Stranger are probably better than a randomly picked source, since I'm trans.

Really, the main thing is whether or not I can get the money order $ into my account by Dec. 3rd. If I can't, I am homeless. If I can, I just have to rush to get a job and find a place to stay after Jan 4th.

The money order is THE thing. Tomorrow, I'm going to give the bank hell about it.

My friend told me it is in my best interest to go to sleep now, because I'm bleeding out in all directions because of my fear and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
G037H3 said:
Thank you for the links. And ads from the Stranger are probably better than a randomly picked source, since I'm trans.

Really, the main thing is whether or not I can get the money order $ into my account by Dec. 3rd. If I can't, I am homeless. If I can, I just have to rush to get a job and find a place to stay after Jan 4th.

The money order is THE thing. Tomorrow, I'm going to give the bank hell about it.

My friend told me it is in my best interest to go to sleep now, because I'm bleeding out in all directions because of my fear and such.

Why not get out now, if the bank problem gets resolved? It doesn't sound like you like where you are at, it doesn't sound like your roomates like you where you are at and are planning on screwing you over, lastly you don't have a contract that is forcing you to stay where you are at. If I were you, I would be leaving asap. I would not put it off hopefully for another month, I say hopefully because even if you do pay, they might evict you anyways in which case you would be out the rent money, and although you could possibly have legal recourse, it wouldn't happen overnight and when you force your way back in you will most likely be treated even worse by your roomates than you are now. Get out as fast as you can, even if you have to find a weekly room rental in a dive motel.

I agree about getting out now if there is any way possible. The person you rent from could really screw you over. You could hand over the rent, and still get evicted and have the locks changed on you. Even if you come back with the cops and a copy of the money order, the landlord could claim it was money you owed from a month or two before, and that you are behind on rent. They could make up all sorts of lies. It's a precarious situation with no receipts for the cash transactions.

Jasongreat said:
Why not get out now, if the bank problem gets resolved? It doesn't sound like you like where you are at, it doesn't sound like your roomates like you where you are at and are planning on screwing you over, lastly you don't have a contract that is forcing you to stay where you are at. If I were you, I would be leaving asap. I would not put it off hopefully for another month, I say hopefully because even if you do pay, they might evict you anyways in which case you would be out the rent money, and although you could possibly have legal recourse, it wouldn't happen overnight and when you force your way back in you will most likely be treated even worse by your roomates than you are now. Get out as fast as you can, even if you have to find a weekly room rental in a dive motel.

Right...I partially agree, but there are a couple of major issues in the meantime:

* I have no place to store any of my stuff for the transition from one place to another

* I'm an INFJ, meaning that I like to have things planned out, or I'm pretty insecure about how things will be done.

* I moved out here because I was told to; I'm not very functional on my own aha.

The 1st is on Wednesday; I greatly doubt I could find a place in that short of a timespan.

And I'm still in the dark about the money order, but I am going to try to get them to make it high priority today.

Math Is Hard said:
I agree about getting out now if there is any way possible. The person you rent from could really screw you over. You could hand over the rent, and still get evicted and have the locks changed on you. Even if you come back with the cops and a copy of the money order, the landlord could claim it was money you owed from a month or two before, and that you are behind on rent. They could make up all sorts of lies. It's a precarious situation with no receipts for the cash transactions.

Right... =(

Have you given an thought to couch surfing? http://www.couchsurfing.org/ This will surely act as an emergency 'chute if you are evicted. I would take this even further seeing you have no job, no money and nothing that ties you to one place. Take a tour across America with couch surfing on the cheap. If you haven't read "On the road" then do and then you will surely be convinced. Get rid of your belongings, you don't need them take this opportunity and make the best out of it. I am almost jealous. <3

raam86 said:
Have you given an thought to couch surfing? http://www.couchsurfing.org/ This will surely act as an emergency 'chute if you are evicted. I would take this even further seeing you have no job, no money and nothing that ties you to one place. Take a tour across America with couch surfing on the cheap. If you haven't read "On the road" then do and then you will surely be convinced. Get rid of your belongings, you don't need them take this opportunity and make the best out of it. I am almost jealous. <3

Hahaha. I'd be okay with that if I had *some* money and a laptop. And I don't know about traveling across the country. x.x I know that nothing really ties me down, but that seems to be a very open-ended thing. Open ended things are fine, if you can predict some of it, and have some form of stability.

You don't have to travel. You can a rent storage for $1 a day in some places and just couch surf in your region until you settle down. there are 379 couch surfers in Seattle alone. It means FREE or very close to free places to sleep.

raam86 said:
You don't have to travel. You can a rent storage for $1 a day in some places and just couch surf in your region until you settle down. there are 379 couch surfers in Seattle alone. It means FREE or very close to free places to sleep.

It is certainly something to look into. And I am very interested in rent storage...technically that could be a place to sleep O_O (I know it's probably illegal, I don't care...they probably have cameras, hum. :/)

In Washington State (not sure about other places), there's an organization that is a clearing house for services such as housing, job training, food, etc.

Just dial 211.

lisab said:
In Washington State (not sure about other places), there's an organization that is a clearing house for services such as housing, job training, food, etc.

Just dial 211.

I'll look at that later. I'm leaving to go sign up for WorkSource, apply for food stamps, and ask about free legal counsel resources. Be back in a couple of hours. :)

Good news everyone, I should be able to pay rent...the money order sent by a friend (who doesn't want contact with me now, so I guess I have 0 friends in reality... D:) looks like it will finally process after a 6 week wait. Of course the Canadian bank and Chase took $110 (18% of the total) out, isn't that nice of them to freak me out and then rob me of over $100? =) I'm definitely switching banks in the future.

I see now that I have to be much more confident and proactive. I am wayyyyyy more capable than I give myself credit for. To illustrate:

I had little energy, and was super freaked out today, and yet I:

* signed up for WorkSource, talked to a counselor person, and obtained information on a youth job placement service that I'm calling tomorrow (only issue is that I'll have to take a bus to get to the location)
* applied for "Basic Food"
* despite feeling like I was going to pass out, I made myself walk to the bank and confront them, which I handled very calmly
* had to deal with the person I'm renting my room from telling me about their intention to do the three day eviction notice; I handled it with extreme self-control
* walked over 4 miles

For the next month, my waking hours shall be roughly split between finding a job/looking for a new place to live, and going in depth with Python/cranking out code/learning to type Dvorak :P. Two-pronged approach to life security. =D

Good for you! No more letting people take advantage of your circumstances. Cling to this moment and build on it.

There will be bumps and holes to come, but you're taking control and responsibility. Good for you.

I'm very glad to hear you got so much done today. Hang in there!

I don't know if it helps or not, but for all that matters, i really hope you find a way.

Remember "That what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" Nietzsche.

G037H3 said:
* had to deal with the person I'm renting my room from telling me about their intention to do the three day eviction notice; I handled it with extreme self-control

On what grounds is she trying to kick you out? Unless you've broken a term of your contract, then the notice period will be that stated in your contract.

Still, it sounds like you've made some good progress from your first post, and I would certainly not advise staying where you are. There are bound to be some rooms to rent that would be happy for you to move in asap, just as a temporary thing.

cristo said:
On what grounds is she trying to kick you out? Unless you've broken a term of your contract, then the notice period will be that stated in your contract.

Still, it sounds like you've made some good progress from your first post, and I would certainly not advise staying where you are. There are bound to be some rooms to rent that would be happy for you to move in asap, just as a temporary thing.

There is no contract. And I know I could probably find a room, but that would require $ first...after paying rent for Dec., I will have about $200. So I need a job in the next two weeks, basically...

desperation, woo! :D

Why are you even contemplating paying December rent if you know the landlord wants you out? You're just going to lose your money.

Don't pay December and just go straight looking for a new place.

jarednjames said:
Why are you even contemplating paying December rent if you know the landlord wants you out? You're just going to lose your money.

Don't pay December and just go straight looking for a new place.

Dec. 1st is in 5.5 hours.

But she's going to kick you out anyhow. So why bother? Just get out of there.

jarednjames said:
But she's going to kick you out anyhow. So why bother? Just get out of there.

(She's desperate for the $, apparently 48 year old women who abuse pills for over 30 years, and scam the government out of $, aren't exactly great at personal finances)

I don't know the laws in your area, but I'm a landlord in NYS and here the law says that if we take ANY money from a renter they can't be evicted for 30 days. So if you can manage evidence of payment for this month then your landlord will have to wait...that is if the law is similar in your area.

You need to try and learn to not let yourself get pushed around, and for goodness' sake you shouldn't be living in the shadows like this. If you have to pay cash for rent, make your landlord write out a receipt. I do it all the time for one of my tenants. Stick up for yourself man, and I think you'll find that if you show you can't be pushed around these thins are much less likely to happen to you.

G037H3 said:
(She's desperate for the $, apparently 48 year old women who abuse pills for over 30 years, and scam the government out of $, aren't exactly great at personal finances)

Look at the facts. You know she is going to evict you in three days. You know she is 'mad'. You don't know how to defend yourself. There is no reason to pay the rent. Just make some excuse to delay payment and get the hell out of there.

I know it sounds blunt, but I don't do the softly-softly approach.

Perspicacity said:
I don't know the laws in your area, but I'm a landlord in NYS and here the law says that if we take ANY money from a renter they can't be evicted for 30 days. So if you can manage evidence of payment for this month then your landlord will have to wait...that is if the law is similar in your area.

You need to try and learn to not let yourself get pushed around, and for goodness' sake you shouldn't be living in the shadows like this. If you have to pay cash for rent, make your landlord write out a receipt. I do it all the time for one of my tenants. Stick up for yourself man, and I think you'll find that if you show you can't be pushed around these thins are much less likely to happen to you.

I intend on asking for a receipt, the reason given will be for proof of expenditures.

Not let myself be pushed around? I was on the edge of death, and I met my former friend online. They supported me for 8 months in total, and had me fly across the country to where I am now. Of course, my judge of character was better than theirs, but the idea was to get me out here...

But I'm not a ostentatious or assertive person. I've commented elsewhere that I'm a natural D/s slave, etc. o.o I'm one of those freakishly kind people =]

jarednjames said:
Look at the facts. You know she is going to evict you in three days. You know she is 'mad'. You don't know how to defend yourself. There is no reason to pay the rent. Just make some excuse to delay payment and get the hell out of there.

I know it sounds blunt, but I don't do the softly-softly approach.

I think if I give the $ (and get proof) that I won't be evicted, that she'll just do things to piss me off (if she goes into my room, however, it means war).

If I had somewhere to go for the same price (or for free, 'depressed TG slave/aspiring software developer needs room', ahahaha), that is what I would be doing. But I don't. =(

G037H3 said:
I intend on asking for a receipt, the reason given will be for proof of expenditures.

Not let myself be pushed around? I was on the edge of death, and I met my former friend online. They supported me for 8 months in total, and had me fly across the country to where I am now. Of course, my judge of character was better than theirs, but the idea was to get me out here...

But I'm not a ostentatious or assertive person. I've commented elsewhere that I'm a natural D/s slave, etc. o.o I'm one of those freakishly kind people =]

You don't need to be a jerk to not be a push over. You also don't need a reason to ask for a receipt. You should ALWAYS get a receipt when you spend your money.

I don't know your whole story, so I can't comment on how you got into the situation—only what you're doing wrong NOW. You can't change the past, but you don't have to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Perspicacity said:
You don't need to be a jerk to not be a push over. You also don't need a reason to ask for a receipt. You should ALWAYS get a receipt when you spend your money.

I don't know your whole story, so I can't comment on how you got into the situation—only what you're doing wrong NOW. You can't change the past, but you don't have to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

I turned 18, had a very small inheritance, lived like a hermit, figured out 'i r slave' and 'i r girl', turned 19, had no $, was suicidal, met 30 year old Canadian genderqueer person on a forum, we talk to each other like crazy, they start supporting me financially ($600 USD/mo for 8 month period, when their job wasn't great pay), we try to find solutions, can't really find any, they decide 'fine, you're moving to Seattle', they find room for me ASAP and buy me a ticket, i fully trust them, take plane from Midwest to Seattle, start living in room in Lynnwood 5 months ago, person is subleasing room to me, they made promises to the Canadian person regarding how they'd treat me, and promised that they'd give me 1 month notice for eviction, Canadian person comes to visit me for 1 week, 1 week after i get to WA, the week with them was the happiest week of my life, then they left me here, ALONE, and i wait for their return above everything else, waiting waiting waiting please come back, or let me be with you, roomie that leases room to me turns out to be a lying druggie, I'm still depressed, so i don't do much, Canadian person says I'm too emotionally needy and has a nervous breakdown, with them gone, the focus of my life is gone, so i spiral into despair and self-loathing, do nothing for a couple of months, decide that programming would be an ideal way to make $, this situation comes up.

interesting...

G037H3 said:
I turned 18, had a very small inheritance, lived like a hermit, figured out 'i r slave' and 'i r girl', turned 19, had no $, was suicidal, met 30 year old Canadian genderqueer person on a forum, we talk to each other like crazy, they start supporting me financially ($600 USD/mo for 8 month period, when their job wasn't great pay), we try to find solutions, can't really find any, they decide 'fine, you're moving to Seattle', they find room for me ASAP and buy me a ticket, i fully trust them, take plane from Midwest to Seattle, start living in room in Lynnwood 5 months ago, person is subleasing room to me, they made promises to the Canadian person regarding how they'd treat me, and promised that they'd give me 1 month notice for eviction, Canadian person comes to visit me for 1 week, 1 week after i get to WA, the week with them was the happiest week of my life, then they left me here, ALONE, and i wait for their return above everything else, waiting waiting waiting please come back, or let me be with you, roomie that leases room to me turns out to be a lying druggie, I'm still depressed, so i don't do much, Canadian person says I'm too emotionally needy and has a nervous breakdown, with them gone, the focus of my life is gone, so i spiral into despair and self-loathing, do nothing for a couple of months, decide that programming would be an ideal way to make $, this situation comes up.

Sounds like you didn't want to take control of your life, so you quickly handed the reigns over to someone else.

Math Is Hard said:
Sounds like you didn't want to take control of your life, so you quickly handed the reigns over to someone else.

Did you miss the part 'i r slave', in a D/s sense?...

I hate to say self-inflicted, but it really does appear that way.

Perhaps not a deliberate act on your part. Although from reading the above it does seem you didn't try too hard.

G037H3 said:
Did you miss the part 'i r slave', in a D/s sense?...

No. But I can only understand that as recreational activity, not a way to live one's life.

jarednjames said:
I hate to say self-inflicted, but it really does appear that way.

Perhaps not a deliberate act on your part. Although from reading the above it does seem you didn't try too hard.

Sort of true.