Are You a Nerd? Check Out These Hilarious Nerd Jokes and Memes!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Chinese mathematicians, they may argue about which single character (out of 10,000) can carry the most information.In summary, the conversation revolved around different nerdy traits and experiences, such as being able to summarize content, having a love for relational databases, struggling to understand politicians, and being obsessed with physics. The conversation also included jokes about being a nerd, such as admiring calluses on fingers from writing and getting upset about the library of Alexandria. Overall, it was a lighthearted and humorous conversation among individuals with a passion for science and knowledge.
During a fight you throw a pair of dice (groaner?) :biggrin:

Got another one?

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
It was pretty boring in the cocktail bar this evening. Only a few guests, the music played In the army now and my friends were busy in a talk. I was bored. At the other end of the bar sat a couple and the female's top, if it could be called so, left little to imagine. So I reflected upon this manifold, its tangent spaces and the singularity in the middle, which this girl offered to be seen or divined.
(I'm still not sure, whether it's really a singularity ...)

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045, pinball1970, Electron Spin and 1 other person
when someone mentions java and coffee is the second thing that goes through your mind

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045, wirenut, gracy and 3 others
"Flip-flops" doesn't bring up an image of footwear.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045, Ibix, cnh1995 and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
It was pretty boring in the cocktail bar this evening. Only a few guests, the music played In the army now and my friends were busy in a talk. I was bored. At the other end of the bar sat a couple and the female's top, if it could be called so, left little to imagine. So I reflected upon this manifold, its tangent spaces and the singularity in the middle, which this girl offered to be seen or divined.
(I'm still not sure, whether it's really a singularity ...)
My familiarity with the experimental side of such research is limited, but I'm reasonably sure the singularity is somewhat further below the event horizon. :rolleyes:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and BillTre
you consider yourself normal and the rest of the world weird.:oldconfused:

Likes Demystifier, Aufbauwerk 2045, Ibix and 2 others
You carry an SA badge for expertise in a topic you studied (mostly) in your spare time?

Likes mfb, cnh1995, strangerep and 1 other person
You can explain what a Cartesian coordinate system is and know what a Cardassian is, but wouldn't recognize a Kardashian if you bumped into them on the street.

Likes Demystifier, pinball1970, ProfuselyQuarky and 7 others
Janus said:
You can explain what a Cartesian coordinate system is and know what a Cardassian is, but wouldn't recognize a Kardashian if you bumped into them on the street.
Pun intended?

You cannot listened to (any!) politician without getting a rash.

Janus said:
"Flip-flops" doesn't bring up an image of footwear.
:bugeye::oldsurprised:

wha' what tha'... And I thought I twaz' tha' only one!

Thank you Janus, Thank you for saving my miserable, flip flop'in,"JK'in", confused life! I owe you one!:bow:

Yours in deepest regards,
ES

You know you're a nerd if...

you love relational databases, but find relationship and dating sites scary.

Likes cnh1995, fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
You know you're a nerd if...

... You're sat reading and posting in off topic discussion on a Physics Forum!

Likes Demystifier
YAN ...

... if it always takes you two thoughts to understand what is meant when the news anchor uses the word conservative.

Likes cnh1995 and Garlic
You know you're a nerd if ...you check this thread every time you log in and hit 'like' on almost every new post...:wink:

Likes Demystifier, Hoophy and Kevin McHugh
You admire the writer's callus on your middle finger?

Likes MexChemE, wirenut, cnh1995 and 1 other person
... if even your somewhat nerdy significant other thinks that you're obsessed.

A few weeks my daughter's ringette team (like ice hockey, but with a different "puck") played in a tournament in another town. An official asked me "Would you open and close one of the penalty box doors during the next game?" He, continued "I'll be in there with you, but I'll be running the clock." After I agreed, my wife (who has degrees in both physics and engineering) interjected "Just don't let him read his physics while he is in there!"

Last edited:
George Jones said:
... if even your somewhat nerdy significant other thinks that you're obsessed.

A few weeks my daughter's ringette team (like ice hockey, but with a different "puck") played in a tournament in another town. An official asked me "What you open and close one of the penalty box doors during the next game?" He, continued "I'll be in there with you, but I'll be running the clock." After I agreed, my wife (who has degrees in both physics and engineering) interjected "Just don't let him read his physics while he is in there!"
I have a feeling why they didn't offer you the clock management ...

fresh_42 said:
I have a feeling why they didn't offer you the clock management ...
If he reads in there, time dilation should be negligible.

A girl asks you to carry her books and you ask "Where To ? "

Likes Demystifier, gleem, dkotschessaa and 1 other person
jim hardy said:
A girl asks you to carry her books and you ask "Where To ? "
I once sat late in the evening at the bar in a cocktail bar, as all of a sudden the woman next to me, who was a complete stranger, asked me to pay attention to her purse while she went outside for some minutes ... - I know what you mean.

You still get upset thinking about the library of Alexandria.

Likes Demystifier, Aufbauwerk 2045, pinball1970 and 2 others
I started uni this year and still don't know where the bar is? Or is this just really dull...:(

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and dkotschessaa
MsDeckard said:
I started uni this year and still don't know where the bar is? Or is this just really dull...:(

How about

"The only bars you car about are over vectors."

eh? eh? get it?

tumblr_n190v0rDar1qzcv7no1_500.jpg

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and gibberingmouther
dkotschessaa said:
How about

"The only bars you car about are over vectors."

eh? eh? get it?

tumblr_n190v0rDar1qzcv7no1_500.jpg
I think I can do even better=when a "contraction" is the difference between the time ordered and normal ordered second-quantized field operators instead of a woman going into labor. (Google Wick's theorem, etc. ) LOL

Likes Demystifier, Aufbauwerk 2045 and dkotschessaa
Charles Link said:
I think I can do even better=when a "contraction" is the difference between the time ordered and normal ordered second-quantized field operators instead of a woman going into labor. LOL
Life's really tough if you associate a kind of duality with every word that starts with co...

Likes Demystifier and Aufbauwerk 2045
fresh_42 said:
Life's really tough if you associate a kind of duality with every word that starts with co...
Google Wick's theorem. :-)

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Charles Link said:
I don't want to publicly speak about secrets, but is there an internal competition among physicists under way about how many different indices (at least 8 in my count) and symbols (at least eight again) a single operator can carry?

Likes Demystifier and Aufbauwerk 2045
fresh_42 said:
I don't want to publicly speak about secrets, but is there an internal competition among physicists under way about how many different indices (at least 8 in my count) and symbols (at least eight again) a single operator can carry?
@fresh_42 A side item: Please read your messages/inbox. I included you in a conversation (about an hour ago) about an interesting integral I computed a few years ago. Would enjoy your feedback.

dkotschessaa said:
You still get upset thinking about the library of Alexandria.
I thought that made one worldly and cultured, or at least a history aficionado.

Charles Link said:
That's Wicked. :oldbiggrin::oldlaugh:

Likes Charles Link
...you've entertained the idea of a trip to New York City for New Year's because the Second Avenue Subway is opening on Jan. 1.

(unfortunately all the hotels seem to be booked up for other reasons)

Likes Ibix
Astronuc said:
I thought that made one worldly and cultured, or at least a history aficionado.

Sure. But I mean. I get really, really upset thinking about it!

ALL THOSE BOOKS

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and fresh_42
dkotschessaa said:
Sure. But I mean. I get really, really upset thinking about it!

ALL THOSE BOOKS
I share those sentiments about the loss of irreplaceable manuscripts.

The Library of Alexandria was one of many libraries, but surely there were some unique documents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_libraries_in_the_ancient_world

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Many popular human activities seem pointless and therefore a waste of valuable time and energy.

The idea of doing something unproductive just for "fun" does not make sense.

Unregulated or in other words free-form dancing makes no sense. One can understand highly regulated dancing, where all the steps are predetermined. But otherwise on what basis should we decide what to do next?

You are a student, alone in your dorm room, thinking about a logic problem, when a girl you like enters your room and stretches out on your bed, smiles, and says in effect she could use some intimate company, and you just look at her, and wonder why she is telling you of all people. You feel relieved when she leaves.

You can no longer relate at all to dogs, because one evening you were sitting on the sofa watching a science fiction movie, and your dog was beside you, and you looked at your dog, and you realized you would never be able to discuss it with him. Your relationship with your dog was without intellectual content and therefore served no useful purpose. You were struck by the sadness of it all. Poor dog.

Some...
David Reeves said:
...human activities seem pointless and therefore a waste of valuable time and energy.
You mean... like carrying Coals to new Castle ? ...
idea.gif

David Reeves said:
...when a girl you like enters your room and stretches out on your bed, smiles, and says in effect she could use some intimate company...
Lol... I always thought you were supposed to...
... feel relieved when she leaves.
David Reeves said:
But otherwise on what basis should we decide what to do next?
Aah yes!... seems that might require information from the future... but,
I'll bet Poor Dog knows, and he just ain't telling...
lmao.gif