Show My Desktop - See How a Nerd Works!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, Ivan's desktop is typical for a nerd, with a few quirky elements. His organizational method is unusual, and his wallpaper is of a politician.
wow! that's lotta programs you have on...JesseC...i usually have just 5 on..no more.

Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
So I don't see how compatibility should pose too much of a problem. If anything, I've foundt the upgrade to 7 rather smooth, given its ability to run software for previous windows versions.

Unfortunately, the compatibility mode has never been very helpful for what I do. I think it might have worked once in the last fifteen years.

By far the worst of times was when Windows first changed from an environment to an operating system. I'm hoping the transition from XP will be relatively painless.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of my desktop. I usually keep things clean, but sometimes the desktop can get crowded. I still prefer linux over windows, but I'm currently forced to run programs on windows. But I must say after using win 7 for a while, I'm impressed with its quality, performance, and stability.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8929/desktopshot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
waht said:
Here's a bit of my desktop. I usually keep things clean, but sometimes the desktop can get crowded. I still prefer linux over windows, but I'm currently forced to run programs on windows. But I must say after using win 7 for a while, I'm impressed with its quality, performance, and stability.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8929/desktopshot.png

Tis a sad state of the state of our hardware when our CPU's are only using 10% of 10% of their owners capacity...

[URL]http://home.europa.com/~garry/pfsuyd201012051305.jpg[/URL]

Actually, what is worse is that I don't know how to see that on my Mac. The only way I know it's thinking is when the fan comes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
Actually, what is worse is that I don't know how to see that on my Mac. The only way I know it's thinking is when the fan comes on.
I use MenuMeters to monitor my CPU and Network activity, a very handy utility.

OmCheeto said:
Tis a sad state of the state of our hardware when our CPU's are only using 10% of 10% of their owners capacity...

Depends what your doing. Sometimes when I'm running a simulation, or playing games all the bars go up. Then I say, 'ahh, I need a faster computer'

You can get istat on your mac. It's free.

I run World Community Grid on my machines just so I always know the CPU is pegged at 100% and I'm getting my $/flop's worth.

JesseC said:
Not surprised to see a load of space based desktops from the physics forum! Here's mine for the lulz
:smile:

OmCheeto said:
The only way I know it's thinking is when the fan comes on.
Doesn't it talk to you, like Elvira does with me? There are settings to correct that oversight.

these are 3 of my top 15, but i change it nearly every time i use my comp. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 378
21o381u.jpg

Taking calc II atm, I usually just put up whatever comes in handy with what I am working on.

Here You Go.
attachment.php?attachmentid=39507&stc=1&d=1317551618.jpg

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 733
Here is mine. Massive cleanup before taking this shot ;)

Getting tired of Windows 7. Might switch to Linux permanently soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39511&d=1317555367.jpg

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
No icons for me! Must have clean desktop. Currently sporting a pic took by Andre of some butterflies.
2qj93lv.png

PREPARE TO BE ASTONISHED, at the BEST desktop you've ever seen!

Newdesktop.png

Char. Limit said:
PREPARE TO BE ASTONISHED, at the BEST desktop you've ever seen!

NOOKStudy any good?

Yeah. It's a good place to get Textbooks from.

ArcanaNoir said:
No icons for me! Must have clean desktop. Currently sporting a pic took by Andre of some butterflies.
2qj93lv.png

:approve: :-p

Ivan Seeking said:
Since people are always giving me a bad time about my desktop, I thought it might be interesting to see how I compare. I'm guessing that mine is typical for a nerd?

I deleted the name of my business under one folder. If you post, but sure to check for any potential privacy issues first. [If I missed anything, please let me know!]

I got an email earlier asking if I could still find anything on mine. :rolleyes: Yes, actually, it works very well for me!

Good bloody grief! THE AMOUNT OF ICONS!