Length of a line between origin and edge of a circle

In summary, the length of the line L in terms of the angle a and radius R is equal to 2R cos α. This can be derived by using the trigonometry of a circle with unit radius, as shown in the provided link.
jack476
For a circle with radius R centered at R along the X-axis so that the edge of the circle touches the origin, what is the length of a line drawn between the origin and an edge of the circle in terms of the angle between that line and the X-axis? This isn't a homework problem, just something I'm trying to figure out.

IE in this picture (sorry about the MS Paint, I'm on a fairly old computer right now), what is the length of the line L in terms of the angle a and radius R? Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

fxIEn7b.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you firm in computing sides of triangles?

fresh_42 said:
Are you firm in computing sides of triangles?
Yes, I'm pretty comfortable with that. What are you suggesting?

There are 2 possible triangles you can use to compute L depending on a. One involves Thales' Theorem. But it also can be done without. Just look for triangles and right angles you can find in your graphic.

jack476 said:
For a circle with radius R centered at R along the X-axis so that the edge of the circle touches the origin, what is the length of a line drawn between the origin and an edge of the circle in terms of the angle between that line and the X-axis? This isn't a homework problem, just something I'm trying to figure out.

IE in this picture (sorry about the MS Paint, I'm on a fairly old computer right now), what is the length of the line L in terms of the angle a and radius R? Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

fxIEn7b.jpg

This article shows the trigonometry of working out L based on a circle with unit radius:

http://geowords.com/e_/06_wind&compass/pi/protractor.htm

Scroll down to 2) at the link. The diagram there:

chord.gif

Matches what you drew in the OP.

Taking the diameter of an arbitrary circle as D, which is the length of EB in the picture above, then cos α = AE / EB, or using your diagram, cos α = L / D.

Therefore, L = D cos α

or L = 2R cos α

Related to Length of a line between origin and edge of a circle

What is the formula for calculating the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle?

The formula for calculating the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle is l = √(x2 + y2), where x and y represent the coordinates of the point on the edge of the circle.

How do I find the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle if I only know the radius?

If you know the radius of the circle, you can use the formula l = r√2 to find the length of the line between the origin and the edge of the circle. This formula assumes that the line is drawn from the center of the circle to the edge at a 45-degree angle.

Can the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle be negative?

No, the length of a line cannot be negative. It represents the distance between two points and therefore must always be a positive value.

Is there a specific unit of measurement for the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle?

The unit of measurement for the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle will depend on the units used for the coordinates of the points. For example, if the coordinates are given in inches, the length will be measured in inches.

How does the length of a line between the origin and the edge of a circle change as the radius of the circle increases?

As the radius of the circle increases, the length of the line between the origin and the edge of the circle will also increase. This is because the distance between the origin and the edge of the circle is directly related to the radius of the circle.