Anyone here with an extremely high IQ?

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary: IQ scores of 120 and 160.IQ tests are woefully inaccurate. I do not trust them.You are correct in that online IQ tests are inaccurate. However, this does not mean that those with an IQ above 140 are not "gifted". In fact, many gifted individuals exhibit a range of IQ scores starting from about 130 or 140, with degree of giftedness increasing above that. Usually, at 130 or 140 someone is moderately gifted, 150 or 160 highly gifted, and above that exceptionally or profoundly gifted.
Forgot to say in this thread: emotional intelligence is way more important that intellectual intelligence. Whiny, petty, know-it-all brats are worthless. So nananana boo boo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Back when usenet was active, I used to monitor the alt.mensa.org usergroup. For a long time I was impressed by how much knowledge they had on nearly any subject that came up. That is until they discussed my specialty and I discovered much of what they said was false. Even more than a high IQ society they seemed to be a high ego society.

Ironically menso/mensa in Spanish means stupid. I wonder what the organization is called in Spanish speaking countries.

I started Elementary School in the post-Sputnik scare, and my classmates and I got the living hell tested out of us. Not long ago, my father brought a lot of personal papers here to store in my safe, and I was surprised that he and my mother had saved all of my school records from 'way back. I have never been tested outside of a classroom, and have no desire to update.

Pythagorean said:
Forgot to say in this thread: emotional intelligence is way more important that intellectual intelligence. Whiny, petty, know-it-all brats are worthless. So nananana boo boo.

nu-'uh!

chemisttree said:
'Sheesh' means the same thing as "geez" or "golly" or "darn" or "eh?" (in Canadian)... as in, "Significant figures people, eh?"

:-p

Just when I started to like you...
I honestly have never heard the term "significant figures" and don't know what it means. Perhaps it's the same as "significant digits"? (The only "significant figure" that immediately comes to mind is Marilyn Monroe.)
skeptic2 said:
Ironically menso/mensa in Spanish means stupid. I wonder what the organization is called in Spanish speaking countries.

:smile:

I'll remember that for the rest of my life, and will point it out every time that I meet someone who brags about belonging to the club. It's embarrassing to me that despite having Spanish blood I don't know the language. (On the same wavelength, I can't help wondering whether or not Zed Zed Topp ever considered how stupid their name sounds in Canada.)

Danger said:
:-p

Just when I started to like you...
I honestly have never heard the term "significant figures" and don't know what it means. Perhaps it's the same as "significant digits"? (The only "significant figure" that immediately comes to mind is Marilyn Monroe.)

Yes, it's the same. Except "sig figs" rhymes, which makes it awesomer.

Pythagorean said:
Yes, it's the same. Except "sig figs" rhymes, which makes it awesomer.

I can dig on that.

Attachments

• mensa.jpg
    mensa.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 424
I have no clue what my IQ is, and think the test is BS anyway. My dad told me when he was a teenager, he tested at like 160+ or something. He joined Mensa with his friend basically just to screw with them. He told me that the whole thing was a joke and that the people were some of the stupidest he's ever seen. They couldn't even tell that he was screwing with them.

He dropped out of high school, and now works as an informal EE (never went to school, just knew someone/right place right time). He's a smart dude, but I wouldn't consider him a "genius" or anything.

In another discussion here on PF, someone (I don't remember who) mentioned that IQ tests were designed to find those who were not smart enough for the army. (I know, that's a pretty low standard.) The IQ tests are very good at that. But they are not very good at detecting the super intelligent. Does mentally folding a pattern to match an oddly shaped box a few seconds faster really mean you're smarter? True intelligence is a lot more complex than can be tested with a multiple choice test.

skeptic2 said:
In another discussion here on PF, someone (I don't remember who) mentioned that IQ tests were designed to find those who were not smart enough for the army. (I know, that's a pretty low standard.) The IQ tests are very good at that. But they are not very good at detecting the super intelligent. Does mentally folding a pattern to match an oddly shaped box a few seconds faster really mean you're smarter? True intelligence is a lot more complex than can be tested with a multiple choice test.

I took an IQ test in high school and scored within the "average" mean. I thought that the test was kind of dumb and relatively simple. I would have scored much higher if I tried harder.

But like you said, it is probably very inefficient at measuring true intelligence.

And you have to be pretty dim to not qualify for the army.

Kutt said:
My father quit HS so he could join the Army Airborne during WWII. He isn't dim, by any measure. He is over 85 and is attending funerals regularly as WWII veterans are passing away.

When I was a kid, he started studying geometry so that he could lay out sheet-metal ducting without the trial-and-error method that he had been taught. He was actively recruited by mills and contractors though he didn't even have a HS diploma (until about the time I was in HS, and the diploma was awarded after the fact). IQ is subservient to "smarts", IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
no

Pythagorean said:

Good post! I often make the case to people that intelligence is the most important quality in making a well liked individual (assuming they have behavioral axioms like "the golden rule"). I often worry I'm not a good enough human personality-wise because I'm not as intelligent as I could be :( Nobody understands what I mean, nobody seems to see the link between intelligence and being a good human with amazing traits. Intelligence means so much. I usually suspect people who commit misdeeds of stupidity before I assume bad intent. I feel this is a suspicion more people should carry.

I think the statistics support that. If you take "stupidity" to mean a lack of education and "misdeeds" to be crime, there's definitely a correlation between the two.

Flumpster said:
Usually, at 130 or 140 someone is moderately gifted, 150 or 160 highly gifted, and above that exceptionally or profoundly gifted.

I would like to know what these categories are supposed to mean.

DragonPetter said:
I actually think it is the same psychological phenomenon for people to latch on to IQ scores as for people to believe they are a leo or scorpio.

What do you mean?

DragonPetter said:
They want to put meaning into arbitrary signs or patterns about something they know nothing about in order to explain something about themselves.

How do you know "they" know nothing about it? There's an abundance of studies on IQ tests. Clearly your statement doesn't apply to the non-trivial proper subset of all those that have taken IQ tests who have also read these studies.

operationsres said:
What do you mean?
It seems clear to me.

Clearly your statement doesn't apply to the non-trivial proper subset of all those that have taken IQ tests who have also read these studies.
What do you mean? :-p Please share this information with us, I am not aware there was a study on the number of people that had taken online IQ tests that read studies about IQ tests.

The two senteces you answered were part of one statement. If you read the member's entire post, it should be quite clear what he is saying.

Evo said:
It seems clear to me.

What do you mean?

I'll try to make clearer what I don't understand.

He/she stated: "I actually think it is the same psychological phenomenon for people to latch on to IQ scores as for people to believe they are a leo or scorpio. They want to put meaning into arbitrary signs or patterns about something they know nothing about in order to explain something about themselves."

I don't understand the link (hence my "What do you mean?").

"Arbitrary signs and patterns." - I don't understand what's arbitrary about taking a test and then getting information on your quantile location on the distribution based on a random sample of the population that's also taken the test.

"They know nothing about." - I don't understand how this claim can be made.

More generally, I don't see the link between the belief that planetary movements cause events to occur in their personal life and what I believe to be most people's perception that IQ scores are related to certain types of intelligence.

Evo said:
Please share this information with us, I am not aware there was a study on the number of people that had taken online IQ tests that read studies about IQ tests.

I've read a singular study on IQ tests and I've taken an IQ test, which qualifies me as being outside of the category of knowing "nothing", which is enough to justify what I stated.

Out of the many people that have also taken IQ tests I would be shocked if 0 of them have read these studies. But this being true is not needed for my statement to stand.

operationsres said:

Nothing. IQ tests are wonderful at determining whether or not you are retarded, but any deep analysis of the upper tiers is more or less meaningless.

Woo hoo I'm not retarded.

Good thing it's not just testing language, or is it "good thing it's not testing just language."...? idk.

IQ testing has to taken in context. As a new student in the Sputnik Scare, my classmates and I got the living crap tested out of us. I only found out recently what those scores were, when my father brought down a bunch of old school records.

By the way, out of curiosity, I went to the Mensa website and tried some of their workout tests. The questions were pretty easy.

I can take a very limited amount of information and create a solution, people who are good at IQ tests need all the information to do that, because they simply cannot extrapolate, think laterally or solve a Sherlock Homes murder, they are lacking in the fundamental skills that are what intelligence is all about. May not be dumb, may do very well in school but as someone already said the higher echelons require more than just brute crunching of numbers etc. They have to know how to imagine more than that, to fire those neurons so that the creative process is king, they have to be able to intuitively work something out, something new, not intellectually solve mundane problems anyone could solve because they are already solved by very mundane people.

I don't want to boast but last week, I invented not only a novel way of controlling terrorism, working out what people really think, determining who is a liar, working at optimal efficiency whilst picking my nose, working the envelope, and reprinting the spandle. See most people don't even yet know what a spandle is. You people are way behind me cause I did that all at the same time, whilst checking on my bank account.. :wink:

Meh the real Rainmen are ten a penny but have you ever invented some new way of thinking? Do you have 100 ideas a day, are you creative? Then who the hell cares, IQ, we all have one, but does it really reflect anything? :smile:

Last edited:
Kutt said:
There is a limit to that. Although I didn't qualify for military service, I belong to the Legion. A lot of the soldiers and old vets are of at least "normal" intelligence, and some are above normal. (Probably about the same proportion as in civilian society.) What the military wants is compliance. As long as someone is willing to take orders, intelligence is advantageous. Fighter pilots, for instance, know a lot of math and aeronautical engineering.

dydxforsn said:
I usually suspect people who commit misdeeds of stupidity before I assume bad intent.
That's how I look at it. I've lived by a quote from someone who's identity I can't remember (likely either one of the classical SF writers or Mark Twain). "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Galteeth said:
By the way, out of curiosity, I went to the Mensa website and tried some of their workout tests. The questions were pretty easy.
It's probably the same as the one that I checked out back in 1975 that was printed in "Reader's Digest". They give an easy one to suck you in, but you have to pay for a supervised test in order to apply for membership.

I couldn't believe it when I went to apply for a job as a service writer for a Toyota dealership about 15 years ago. The receptionist gave me an IQ test to fill out before asking for my resume, and told me that there was a 45-minute time limit. When I handed it back after 15 minutes, she said, "No, you have to fill out the whole thing." When I pointed out that I had, she looked quite flustered, especially since I had a perfect score. Needless to say, I never heard back from them. :rolleyes:

operationsres said:

Nothing at all.

A person with an IQ of 200 may well spend their life doing nothing worth while, where as a mundane pleb with and IQ of 122 may well spend their life revolutionizing science. Richard P Feynamn for example, who was apparently only quite "intelligent", with his mediocre IQ of 122, and yet changed the very nature of how we think about physics.

IQ I wouldn't bother with "intelligence" tests, as most psychologists know intelligence cannot be measured, nor can genius, nor can talent, the only thing you can measure is what you do with what you have and what you achieve, the rest is just mental masturbation for elitists. :smile:

High IQ, meh who cares, perseverance, a willingness to learn, to think, to dream. A willingness to think about everything and outside of any box, will serve you far better than a test for the mundane to measure mundane skills that were never designed to test anything other than your skill up to age 18 to pass tests, before you really get to learn how to think for yourself. IQ tests are for children, intelligence is measured by what you do after you lose your training wheels and learn how to really think, not by a score board that is redundant.

Have I got a high IQ, yes, does it mean anything to me, no. Nor should it, nor does it, nor will it ever.

Man that was quite a rant. By the way IQ tests do have their uses, I don't mean to sound down on them, it's just there are better ways of determining peoples talents. Ones we tend to overlook, hell tests are not the be all and end all of people, and this is coming from someone who always flew through tests. I just I suppose get disappointed by people who are discarded because they don't quite measure up to something that does not quite measure up to anything, end of the day put the effort in and you will do better than your predetermined monkey test, predetermined by dumb monkeys. :smile:

Last edited:
IQ tests are only good at scoring how well you are with a very limited amount of subjects and problem solving techniques they test you on.

To make an analogy, I could make an athleticism test based on a persons mile run time and how much they can bench press. If they score high on both, then they have a high athleticism score.

Someone like a football wide receiver would probably score very high, whereas a golfer would score very low. Even most miler runners would score average or low because the bench press score would weigh the overall score down. Its easy to see the test is very flawed.

Needless to say, I care nothing for IQ tests and Mensa for that matter.

Danger said:
I've lived by a quote from someone who's identity I can't remember (likely either one of the classical SF writers or Mark Twain). "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Hanlon's[/PLAIN] Razor.

Last edited by a moderator:
operationsres said:
What do you mean?
How do you know "they" know nothing about it? There's an abundance of studies on IQ tests. Clearly your statement doesn't apply to the non-trivial proper subset of all those that have taken IQ tests who have also read these studies.

First off, what I said was merely an opinion.

The meaning I had is that there is a willingness for people (not everyone, of course) to put more merit into the results from studies like astrology (a study that use no logic or evidence) and IQ tests than the underlying facts/evidence can support. I think it is psychological in nature that people do this because both of these topics attempt to categorize and explain human thought and behavior in large generalizations/simplifications that people can relate to in an anecdotal, subjective, personal experience based perspective.

Notice that I didn't imply that astrology and IQ tests are in the same category, as astrology has no legitimacy while IQ tests can have some kind of evidence/data associated with them in studies. The reality though is that the generalized conclusions that many people try to draw from the facts/evidence associated with IQ tests are questionable, controversial, and unproven. If the conclusions from these IQ test results are as objective and authoritative as some people's beliefs seem to be, then it would imply that we know a lot more about human intelligence than I think the present evidence can suggest. That is why I said "They want to put meaning into arbitrary signs or patterns about something they know nothing about in order to explain something about themselves." When I say "something they know nothing about", that is because even the professionals in the field of psychology and neuroscience don't even have a clear consensus on what extent IQ tests are valid in indicating human intelligence and all of the other characteristics associated with intelligence, like creativity. It is possible to amass a large collection of data (IQ scores) and to try to correlate it to metrics, like income level, education level, original contributions to a field, etc. which one might lump together as indication of intelligence. But it is not valid to then pick one of those data points (an individual's IQ score) and to blindly conclude that the person possesses all of the metrics that are strongly correlated by the total sample and to blindly conclude that they are intelligent, which a lot of people like to do, like Mensa members.

I only commented on the willingness for people to latch on to what these topics can tell them about themselves without grounding the results in reality first.

Last edited:
Cerlid said:
...Richard P Feynamn for example, who was apparently only quite "intelligent", with his mediocre IQ of 122, and yet changed the very nature of how we think about physics.

If only half of what wiki claims of Feynman is true, his IQ test was probably put together by someone with a really low IQ:

Feynman later scoffed at psychometric testing. In the year 1933, in which he turned 15, he taught himself trigonometry, advanced algebra, infinite series, analytic geometry, and differential and integral calculus. Before entering college, he was experimenting with and re-creating mathematical topics, such as the half-derivative, using his own notation. In high school, he was developing the mathematical intuition behind his Taylor series of mathematical operators.

How many 15 year olds, in the history of the planet, have done what he did?

I'd scale him around 199.

And his simple analysis of the first shuttle disaster struck me a brilliant. "Snap!"

OmCheeto said:
If only half of what wiki claims of Feynman is true, his IQ test was probably put together by someone with a really low IQ:

I know what you're getting at, because it is amazing that he did this. He happened to be born in the right time and place, with the right inputs and outputs of his mind from day to day or even minute to minute. I think other genius minds could create these same ideas, but it is all subject to external conditions and his ideas were building off an already established knowledge base to some extent. I truly doubt any mind could generate all of the knowledge of trigonometry, advanced algebra, infinite series, analytic geometry, and differential and integral calculus without resources, and so I suspect "teaching himself" involved reading books about the subjects which allowed him to independently create new ideas built off of those. But I agree, he clearly showed genius that the IQ test did not find.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:

You're missing the whole psychological matrix he found himself in, which worked to get him to voluntarily push himself to achieve. First off, and foremost, his father raised him to believe it was OK to be observant, curious, and analytical. Most parents discourage their kids from examining radios and machines in the belief they'll just wreck them, and they discourage them from asking too many questions. Feynman's dad was completely supportive of any curiosity he showed and encouraged him to think analytically about any problem he encountered (without ever being pushy about it).

With that encouragement at home, in school he got in with the geekier crowd where status could be gained by being the best at solving intellectual puzzles. There's a quote from Feynman in a book called "No Ordinary Genius" where he says that what drives him mostly is intellectual competition, the urge to prove he can figure out a more clever solution than the other guy.

I really think his I.Q. was 125. What set him apart was a unique combination of open mindedness, curiosity, and drive.

And his simple analysis of the first shuttle disaster struck me a brilliant. "Snap!"
The solution to the problem with the shuttle was "fed" to him by the mysterious general who called him up and suggested he poke around into the o-ring situation. He didn't figure it out all by himself. The engineers actually knew all along the o-rings weren't made for these low temperature conditions, but they were over-ridden by management on the go to launch. Management was, in turn, under pressure to perform for the President. Feynman's achievement was mostly in getting them (the engineers) to fess up to him. Feynman explains all this in "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" The General used Feynman as a kind of bloodhound, but he had actually known all along where the body was buried, and he steered Feynman to the gravesite.

zoobyshoe said:
I really think his I.Q. was 125.

You can't be serious. He's one of the smartest people of the previous century. If his IQ really was 125, then IQ tests are severely flawed.

It is probably true that his intelligence was for a huge part due to his father and his surroundings, but that still doesn't mean he's not an insanely smart guy.

micromass said:
You can't be serious. He's one of the smartest people of the previous century. If his IQ really was 125, then IQ tests are severely flawed.

It is probably true that his intelligence was for a huge part due to his father and his surroundings, but that still doesn't mean he's not an insanely smart guy.

Bingo.

Feynman's father also read entire encyclopedias to him as a child, and they would often stop and think realistically and observantly, about what they had just read.

Feynman may have been a genius, but I don't see him being nearly as successful as he was without having been raised in an environment like that.

Honestly, who cares? If people with extremely high IQ think they are super geniuses then let them. In the end I'm still worshiping the greats like Newton and Maxwell not, for example, Marilyn vos Savant just because she has a HUGE IQ. I think its pretty clear who the geniuses are out of those three. The only high IQ child prodigy that I've ever seen contribute something amazing was Terrence Tao.