Am I addicted to cannabis? I need advice

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to quit smoking marijuana, which has been causing them depression and negative effects on their social life. They are curious about successful individuals who have also smoked marijuana in the past and are seeking input from the online community. However, the conversation takes a turn when another person advises them to stop smoking permanently and seek professional help if needed. The second person shares their personal experience of quitting marijuana and how it led to success, while also mentioning a negative outcome for someone who continued using drugs. The conversation ends with words of encouragement and belief in the person's ability to quit smoking.
liubare
First off, let me explain why I am posting here and not some MA forum, or similar.

I love physics; I love science; I love mathematics. My biggest role-model (or hero!) is the late Richard Feynman, I've read both his books and love thinking how he thought about the universe (and art xD ).
I am 24 years old, in a community college, almost ready to transfer to a state university for mechanical engineering, and I have been smoking marijuana for over two years daily.
I don't smoke that much, but I believe it is the reason I have developed a degree of depression... Say, If I smoke for the first time in a day, it feels great and relaxing, but then after 45 minutes or so, I begin to feel "meh" and it just declines, like being sober with a foggy-*** mind! It's awful and makes me avoid socializing and what not.
Even if I smoke more after that 45min mark, I don't get the same "sensation" I got when I first smoked in the same day, it just makes it worse.
However, I continue to find myself using, if I want to quit because of how I feel, I will stop, but then a week later a friend will just come over with weed and I'm almost compelled to smoke (actually, I rarely smoke, I vaporize, but still...). Not to mention it cost nearly as much as my monthly gas bill and is still illegal.

This is a serious question/concern of mine.
I often find myself "Googling" who consumed cannabis (i.e Carl Sagen, Einstein, etc), although I never can find a certain answer (people just assume mostly) I still wonder. I feel I'm uncontrollably trying to vindicate my smoking habits by seeing who all else has smoked in the past.

If you have smoked in your younger years, and now are a professional in a field of science, please talk to me and explain your thoughts on this terrible dilemma I'm having.

It's been four days since I've not smoked, I'm still fighting, and asking the one community I respect above all others online. (meaning trolls are like forums that require thought XDDDD)

Thank you all for your time responding!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't discuss illegal activities here. I suggest that since you have bad effects from smoking that you stop permanently. You'll feel much better. If you can't manage to do this on your own, then do seek professional help in stopping.

When I was young, everyone smoked pot and all I wanted to do afterwards was eat and sleep, I couldn't do anything. I finally got smart and quit and most of my friends stopped shortly thereafter. We all went on to becoming succesful. One girl that kept smoking ended up getting busted with her heroine dealing boyfriend and spent time in prison. Go figure. True story, but she was pretty dumb, so can't blame it all on drugs.

You're smart enough to realize the effects it's having on you. Good luck, you can do it.

1. Am I addicted to cannabis?

The answer to this question depends on a variety of factors, including your frequency and amount of cannabis use, as well as any negative consequences it may have on your daily life. It's important to assess your relationship with cannabis and seek professional help if you are concerned about addiction.

2. What are the signs of cannabis addiction?

Some common signs of cannabis addiction include difficulty controlling use, using more cannabis than intended, and continuing to use despite negative consequences. Other signs may include physical symptoms such as irritability, restlessness, and changes in appetite or sleep patterns.

3. How can I tell if I have a problem with cannabis?

If you are wondering if your cannabis use has become a problem, it's important to assess how it is impacting your daily life. Ask yourself if you are able to control your use, if it is causing negative consequences in your relationships or work/school life, and if you feel like you need cannabis to cope with daily stressors.

4. What can I do if I am addicted to cannabis?

If you believe you are addicted to cannabis, it's important to seek help from a professional. They can provide you with resources and support to help you overcome your addiction. Additionally, surrounding yourself with a strong support system and finding healthy coping mechanisms can also be beneficial.

5. Is it possible to quit cannabis addiction on my own?

While it is possible to quit cannabis addiction on your own, it can be a challenging and difficult process. Seeking professional help and support from loved ones can greatly increase your chances of success. It's important to have a plan in place and to address any underlying issues that may have contributed to your addiction.