Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
. Alot of covers for this classic including the Rolling Stones

• Love
Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org

Doo Wop

pinball1970 said:
This is uplifting

Very uplifting. Here's another of the same by Jean Sibelius. Interesting history. Written for the Press Celebrations of 1899, a popular, free speech protest at that time. He wrote powerful, yet melodic, stirring music.

Likes pinball1970

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
morrobay said:

Love Stevie Winwoods voice, he is 17 years old on this recording!

Yes I always thought they were black - Before YouTube ...

• Wow
Likes BillTre
morrobay said:
Yes I always thought they were black - Before YouTube ...
His voice, a little bit of gravel and the range/power. Sounds like the Marvin Gaye type.
If I was looking for a band in the 60s I would have wanted a black dude as the singer. Not because there no good white singers it is just that there seemed to be an abundance of black singers that sang in that style.
Little Richard was the ultimate, opening of Long Tall Sally, wow. Chest voice on tenor A ish? That reinforced falsetto too, just magic.
Only Paul McCartney is in that range.
Ian Gillan another planet (both loved Little Richard)

morrobay said:
Comments above say Doo Wop did not have much effect on the British Invasion. The British Invasion sure had an effect on Doo Wop - it disappeared. Now it is a cult type music only with the Mexican low riders.
Frank Zappa loved Doo Wop. He even composed a minor hit for The Penguins : Memories of El Monte.

• Informative
Likes difalcojr
More of that voice and range. Hyde Park, London, 1969. He made every group he played with, better.

Likes pinball1970

Likes Hornbein
difalcojr said:
More of that voice and range. Hyde Park, London, 1969. He made every group he played with, better.
The Stevie Winwood of the 21st century is Lachy Doley.

morrobay said:

Like to see these ladies riding on Route 66 today. Plenty of horsepower, plenty of class. Long version first. (Look at the tree inside a house at about 8:26. Like to live there.)

Short version. Thought the Valkyries were going to come through the stained glass windows! Very skilled musician.

Likes Hornbein
Tchaikowsky. Capriccio Italien.

Likes difalcojr

A tango.

Likes difalcojr
And a classical. Edvard Grieg from Bergen, Norway.

difalcojr said:
And a classical. Edvard Grieg from Bergen, Norway.

When I lived in Japan I walked around a lot. Every now and then I'd hear music coming from a middle school. It was always as good as this. Notice how the Asian kids have all the chairs 1,2,3,4, and 5 while the Europeans are on the periphery. It's because the A's start playing at age three in Yamaha or Suzuki school. By this time they already have ten years of experience. Not only that your brain develops differently. I have read that the difference is visible in an autopsy. If you start late you will never catch up. You may still be able to get over in a different way though.

It is my experience that you build a music making machine in your nervous system. Then just sit back let it do its thing without interference. I wish someone had told me that fifty years ago.

Hilary Hahn went to Suzuki school. She has released a recording of all the Suzuki exercises, starting with very simple ones.

This band is in Davis, California. I suppose their parents are professors at the university.

Community orchestras in Japan are almost as good as the pros. Every city has a really nice concert hall. (Tokyo is a region, not a city. It's composed of dozens of cities.)

The best concerts I ever attended were student/faculty concerts at Gedai, the main arts college in Tokyo. There are a number of reasons. The student can choose or compose what they like best, not what the audience wants. They can rehearse for months instead of days like the pros. It doesn't hurt that the Gedai concert hall is terrific, better than world famous Suntory Hall which makes top ten lists.

• Informative
Likes difalcojr
Fascinating. Thks for sharing that. Educators, teacher unions, politicians need read your post here, and see the forum videos of what Japan has done. Get right now instruments back into all the classrooms, like it was!

difalcojr said:
Fascinating. Thks for sharing that. Educators, teacher unions, politicians need read your post here, and see the forum videos of what Japan has done. Get right now instruments back into all the classrooms, like it was!
That early musical training carries over even to very different musical instruments and styles. You can start on piano and end up playing drums in a hard rock band but be able to do things that late starters can't do. Eddie van Halen started playing piano in Indonesia at age six.

When I was a kid in the 1960's the start early thing was still going on but it now appears to have died in the USA except in Provo.

Yes, no instruments in every public middle school anymore. No daily music class. Too many administrators took all the public money, I think. Hope it changes back to the time you describe.
Here's a different one that always seemed uplifting, though I am not sure why. Soft, hard rock, though. Hard edge. Who taught her to sing, I wonder?

Chet Baker -- I'm A Fool To Want You

The way those two could look at each other! Might have helped that they were married off the screen too.

I better get back to your 4 genres. Classical. Isn't this just Grieg's "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" again?
If so, I could not find any reference to it by Rogers and Hammerstein under the original movie score.

Likes difalcojr

Likes difalcojr
Today's youth are truly inspirational with their musical skills. Does Japan have the most and best girl and women drummers in the world?! I really love that they do 'covers' as well or better than the originals. Seems always the fast ones. Here's one I didn't think anyone could cover, but now I think the Muses could do it well.

Transferring from TikTok is a little difficult: May have to wait a few seconds for speaker tap

Renaissance live performance 1977. That's about the time I saw them live. I loved Haslam's voice, Jon Camp's bass, John Tout on keyboards, Michael Dunford on acoustic guitar and Terence Sullivan on drums. The set ends with Prologue, which is the first tune that I heard, the first song on the album of the same name, and first song they played together as a band.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr

Likes difalcojr
I always thought Linda did the high harmony on this but it's Denny Lane.
Blue bird live.

Last edited:
Spirit - Taurus, November 1967, Released January 1968

Likes pinball1970
Astronuc said:
Renaissance live performance 1977. That's about the time I saw them live. I loved Haslam's voice, Jon Camp's bass, John Tout on keyboards, Michael Dunford on acoustic guitar and Terence Sullivan on drums. The set ends with Prologue, which is the first tune that I heard, the first song on the album of the same name, and first song they played together as a band.

The whole concert!? Thanks for posting!

These songs lift my soul7. Take Hold of the Flame [Queensrÿche - Live in Tokyo 1984/08/05]

lyrics

Racer X - Let The Spirit Fly (Live DVD) - with Paul Gilbert

official audio - lyrics

Joe Satriani - Flying In a Blue Dream (from Satriani LIVE!)
start at 1m50s
Steve Vai - For the Love of God (Live In Concert)

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr
Back