Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
pinball1970 said:
Kate Bush at the Hammersmith 1979 ish
She changed everything. Invented the modern pop music show.

Here's a great concert from one of her best friends.

Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Japanese popular music : hot fast and tight. TV rules : you've made it if you have the theme song for a show. Jazz is popular. The latest hit is Mixed Nuts.

Drum cover. From France!

Piano:

Likes pinball1970
And this version for when we can't pay for four musicians:

• Wow
Likes Hornbein and pinball1970

Likes jedishrfu

Likes jedishrfu
Forgot about this song:

Oh my....!

StevieTNZ said:
Oh my....!

Shades of Uptown Funk and Norwegian Wood.

RIP Jeff Beck

• Love
Likes difalcojr, Steve4Physics, Astronuc and 1 other person
From Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds

Over, Under, Sideways, Down (1966)​

Heart Full Of Soul (1965)​

Guitarist Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds in March 1965 because of a perceived shift in musical direction. Inspired in part by Jeff Beck, who replaced Clapton, the group began to experiment with different musical styles. Beck had more varied influences and used electronically enhanced guitar effects, which he brought to the group's sound.

Shapes of Things (1966)​

• Love
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
just to add to that, Lovely demo from him here

• Love
Likes Astronuc
This is a fantastic full concert

• Love
Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
Rediscovered this song yesterday:

Likes Astronuc
Interdimensional said:

Oh that's nice. Something I didn't know existed. I'd expect you'd like Hiromi Euhara's latest with a string quartet.

Last edited:
Likes Frabjous
Love this guy:

Likes pinball1970

Hornbein said:
Oh that's nice. Something I didn't know existed. I'd expect you'd like Hiromi Euhara's latest with a string quartet.

Yes very much.

Gabriela Montero and Rex Lewis Clark​

Jarvis323 said:

Gabriela Montero and Rex Lewis Clark​

Dang, I thought they would be improvising four-handed. That would be SO cool.

I'm glad that improvisation is today increasingly tolerated in the classical milieu. Van Beethoven and JS were famous for it. It may be making a comeback.

Likes Jarvis323 and BWV
In memory of Martyn Bennett (17 February 1971 – 30 January 2005), a Canadian-Scottish musician who was influential in the evolution of modern Celtic fusion, a blending of traditional Celtic and modern music. He was a piper, violinist, composer, producer and innovator. His compositions crossed musical and cultural divides. Sporting dreadlocks at the height of his performing career, his energetic displays led to descriptions such as "the techno piper".

Swallowtail - I heard for the first time tonight. Then I heard that he had died from cancer, just a couple of weeks shy of his 34th birthday. :frown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Bennett

Likes pinball1970
The Ultimate in fusion music?

It's possible that these musicians have never met face to face. Indeed it is quite possible that when this was made they were all on different continents.

I believe that that synthesizer solo was programmed, not played. That's fine with me.

They have tried to duplicate this success but have so far fallen short. Trap drum genius Travis Orbin usually hires out to play metal music.

Best ever in Japanese fusion. Fusion burned out fast in the West but survived in Japan. So these women have grown up listening to it.

The drummer learned to sing Chick Corea's Spain before she could talk. Her Dad wrote the first tune.

Likes pinball1970

The ultimate in funk from Was/Not Was. Featuring Marcus Miller on ebass.

Double lead guitar & sweep picking

Yucco Miller -- Hyperdrive

About as intense as it gets. Yucco later gave up on this and became a comedian.

Hornbein said:

Yucco Miller -- Hyperdrive

About as intense as it gets. Yucco later gave up on this and became a comedian.

Funky! Not keen on very trebly bass though but great playing.

Possessed by this song

Sagittarius A-Star said:
4'33 by John Cage

Actually the piece is in three movements. The pianist is directed to do certain things which I've forgotten.

Likes Sagittarius A-Star
Hornbein said:
Actually the piece is in three movements. The pianist is directed to do certain things which I've forgotten.

You are right.

Now in the category of progressive rock...

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr
Back