Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
BWV said:
No greater piano solo on record

This isn't bad either with nice breakdown from Rick Beato

Last edited:
Likes BWV
Science news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
This isn't had either with nice breakdown from Rick Beato

That is a great video as well. FWIW, OP was taught piano by a student of a student of Franz Liszt, there are plenty of great Jazz pianists, but none come close to OPs transcendental technique

Likes pinball1970
and very beautiful.

Although OP remained in awe of Art Tatum throughout his life

Likes pinball1970
I never knew what this was till today, heard it years ago.

Last edited:
I can't find the Bach one I want but came across lots of others. I am terrible at remembering what the proper names and keys are.
I would be in a pickle if the Beatles would have done that. 'Yesterday ballad in position G, downtuned to F.'

This is over played but it does not stop it being sublime. It sounds nice on guitar too.

The one I could not remember was Bouree.

Likes BWV
Hiromi playing (piano solo) ‘I got rhythm‘…

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
I never knew what this was till today, heard it years ago.

I never heard those quotations from hymns before.

I like this version. Why isn't it entitled the correct translation, Wake Up? I guess that could be thought rude.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
I never heard those quotations from hymns before.

I like this version. Why isn't it entitled the correct translation, Wake Up? I guess that could be thought rude.

All the English titles tend to just say "Sleepers awake!"
"Awake, the Voice is Calling." is the wiki translation.

Some nice arrangements.

The one I posted has such an odd sound on that second key board, like an Oboe.

It even sounded out of tune first listen.The back story on the words is very nice, written during a plague and was meant to give hope to the congregation.

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/blog/2020-04-02/sleepers-awake-from-crisis-to-cantata

A last thing on Bach (for now) Whiter Shade of Pale used a progression and figure.

I don't think it was a direct copy or conscious thing. Not according to the writers anyway.

My recomendation might not be for everyone but I really like those guitar tweaks from Brontide :

Or from Estas Tonne :

Likes Steve4Physics
pinball1970 said:
A last thing on Bach (for now) Whiter Shade of Pale used a progression and figure.
In 2006 the organist sued for a portion of the royalties and won. One wonders why he waited such a long time to do this. The case went all the way to the Law Lords.

jedishrfu said:
Maybe the organist didn't know what had happened. There was an American music composer who discovered his music was wildly popular on China's CCTV but he got no royalties from them.

https://radii.co/article/american-composer-chinese-state-tv-music

He discovered it through use of the google-developed content id tool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_ID_(system)
Not a chance he didn't know. Whiter Shade of Pale was a big hit in the UK and elsewhere. Everyone with even an ounce of hipness knew it. I expect the judge ruled in the organists favor because he/she dug that melody in their youth. ( I wish bands like Procol Harum could be successful today.)

I heard of an elderly man who discovered that he was one of the most popular and respected authors in some place like Hungary. There's also Mai Mizuhashi who discovered that her dance vid was huge in China and now is a star there. And Indonesia's PeterPan who had a cover of their tune make it big in India. I doubt they got anything. Indonesia doesn't have much enforcement muscle.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
How about choral music?
Locus Iste by Anton Bruckner.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
How about choral music?
Locus Iste by Anton Bruckner.

Oh my. We used to sing that in Manchester Youth Choir 1988 ish.
It is a beautiful song, arrangement.

This was my number one though

Likes Hornbein
Hornbein said:
In 2006 the organist sued for a portion of the royalties and won. One wonders why he waited such a long time to do this. The case went all the way to the Law Lords.
If he wrote it did he not just get a %?
As composer?
Or did he get one of those dodgy 1960s record company deals?

pinball1970 said:
If he wrote it did he not just get a %?
As composer?
Or did he get one of those dodgy 1960s record company deals?
He won a percentage of royalties and a share of composer credit.

Likes pinball1970
Ashokan Farewell

I performed this with a chorus on the night my mother died. Though I didn't know that until afterward. I like to believe that she passed away during Moon River. It was one of her favorites.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Ashokan Farewell

I performed this with a chorus on the night my mother died. Though I didn't know that until afterward. I like to believe that she passed away during Moon River. It was one of her favorites.
That's very sad but a beautiful story at the same time. Moon River breaks my heart, I don't even know what the words are but every time I was flicking through my ex song book, I would insist she sang while I fumbled my way through the chords on piano.

Six great slide guitar solos.

Another one. . . . :smile:

Likes Hornbein
Two people covering Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke, outdoing the original. I would have thought that impossible.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
A dobro cover of A White Shade of Pale.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Two people covering Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke, outdoing the original. I would have thought that impossible.

Where's the brass!?

Ha ha only joking! absolutely loved it. Great to see young kids playing the stuff I grew up with and getting it.

Hornbein said:
A dobro cover of A White Shade of Pale.

Well, I certainly can't play it like that! Not as much my thing and let's face it the tune is so beautiful it would still sound good played on an out of tune bag pipe.
I appreciate the skill though, upvoted but not loved.

I find that The Shaggs' music is especially refreshing.

Likes pinball1970
Bob Walance said:

They are certainly different! Their story is interesting too.

Bob Walance said:

The drumming is like a broken clock, every so often it tells the right time.

• Haha
Likes Bob Walance
We always had the radio on and that is where I heard all that great music in the late 60s and early 70s.
Mum always dragging me into the kitchen and saying, “Tony! Listen to this!”
She was always right too. First time I heard Hendrix, she said, “he could make his guitar talk, listen to this!”
I thought the daft old bat what she on about this time? The record was all the watch tower, the third solo after the slide solo in come the Wah. I thought “OMG! It actually DOES sound like it is talking!”
Lots of great radio memories before I started get my hands on tapes and vinyl. So..

Beatles

Stones

Kinks

Hollies

Mamas Papas

Doors

Hendrix

Then Deep Purple – best players and easily the best singer of all time besides McCartney
1970s it was ABBA, ELO Supertramp McCartney/Wings and Steely Dan, Yes and Genesis
Late 70s/early 80s Gary Newman, Blondie, The Specials, Kate Bush (genius) then…everything seem to go to pot.

I don’t think I watched TOTP between 1984-1994.

Unfortunately seen few of my idols. Dead or split up before I was old enough to go to gigs.
Lucky enough to see Yes before Chris Squire passed, Deep Purple before Jon Lord passed.
ELO without Jeff lynne but with Mike Edwards (I think) before he passed.
Macca before Linda passed.

Time machine to go back to a few gigs?

Beatles Japan 1966- no much screaming

Purple 1972- Japan again

Kate Bush at the Hammersmith 1979 ish

Likes difalcojr
I like Rick Beato and this was an unexpected combo.

Likes BillTre and jedishrfu
Back