Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
had to

Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org
Looked thru the pages, but did not see this one. Uplifting rock song, high energy, and still sounds relevant, apparently. Edgar Winter's White Trash Band.

Here is music to lift your soul. It did for lots of souls in a past generation. Probably could be called the theme song of the peaceniks and hippies. "Get Together" by The Youngbloods.

last one with strong emotions. stretching the genre list a bit. maybe call this Irish country?

OK, my girlfriend wants this in. One she played to lift her soul up every day on her stereo. It's country.

Likes BWV
a favorite classical: Jean Sibelius: Pelléas et Mélisande / Boian Videnoff - Mannheimer Philharmoniker

Nice folk-rock. Liked her voice better than her sister's warble. Nice duet they were. Your description of Butterfield and the Chicago blues band arriving with the cows in the background from another post. I still can't get that image out of my mind. Would've loved to have seen the expression on his face when he saw the cows! Great story!

difalcojr said:
"Get Together" by The Youngbloods.
The song was written by Chet Powers, who also went by the stage name Dino Valenti, lead singer of Quicksilver Messenger Service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Powers

Power also wrote and sang two of QSM's better known songs, "Fresh Air" and "What About Me?". Great tunes!

Great tunes, for sure. Chet Powers, here he is with the full band at '67, Monterey Pop, a good viewing. Before he was forced to leave the band!! Looking sharp in white slacks and sports coat. Playing his "Dino's Song". The sounds of Cipolina's lead guitar were so amazing! He is underrated, I always thought.

Likes pinball1970 and morrobay

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr

Likes pinball1970, mathwonk and difalcojr
Astronuc said:
The song was written by Chet Powers, who also went by the stage name Dino Valenti, lead singer of Quicksilver Messenger Service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Powers

Power also wrote and sang two of QSM's better known songs, "Fresh Air" and "What About Me?". Great tunes!
Chet Powers deserves one more. RIP. "Have another hit of sweet California sunshine." Cipolina was already gone from the band by this recording. Think that's Powers' image up in the clouds there on the album cover.
Great voice. Of all the great first albums by the SF groups: Grateful Dead, Big Brother, Quicksilver, Country Joe &: the Fish, Moby Grape, Steve Miller, Jefferson Airplane, I think Quicksilver's first album was even the best.

Likes pinball1970
BWV said:

Never heard of these two till fairly recently, I really like her voice. My friend is a big country fan and has educated me on the different types.
Some nice stuff
The circumstances surrounding Gram Parsons death and subsequent "cremation" were more rock and roll than country.

Likes BWV
A classical soul tune.

difalcojr said:
A classical soul tune.

Think everyone knows this version better ;)

• Haha
Likes difalcojr

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
country rock: uplifting musical advice for hard times

Likes pinball1970
This is uplifting

Likes difalcojr
Eric Clapton, Let it Rain on his eponymous album (August 1970)

My favorite piece by Alan Parsons, Voyager (June 1978)

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Great album. So many other known musicians backing him up on it. One more old Clapton song about that same period perhaps fits OK here. Billy Preston on organ.

Also, perhaps one more Gram Parsons is good fit still. When he was with the Byrds with a song that he wrote and sang on their "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album. An excellent album also, no banjo in the album version.

Eric Clapton playing with Los Lobos. Always uplifting to know that even Los Lobos liked the Beach Boys music.

I don't know if Doo Wop made it to Europe and the UK

That's me rolling on Sherman Way

Likes difalcojr
Likes morrobay
Comments above say Doo Wop did not have much effect on the British Invasion. The British Invasion sure had an effect on Doo Wop - it disappeared. Now it is a cult type music only with the Mexican low riders.

morrobay said:
Comments above say Doo Wop did not have much effect on the British Invasion. The British Invasion sure had an effect on Doo Wop - it disappeared. Now it is a cult type music only with the Mexican low riders.
Agreed, but probably only because the access and availability of doo-wop to them was so much less than our access to their music. I think doo-wop may be becoming more popular again today. For me, anyway: from your posts on this forum, from even more groups seen on the English forum, and on KPFA Berkeley 94.1 FM, every Saturday, 11am-2pm. Or KPFA.org. Mostly American blues, but always some doo-wop too. Today heard the Jive Bombers, Del Vikings, groups I never knew of, and more of the great Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, stuff like you have been posting. Melody and harmony, rhythm and beat, always a good combo.

Likes morrobay

The Del Vikings, Too easy for me to channel back with these ^^

. The covers of ' On Broadway ' say they are covering George Bensons version. No, the Drifters are the original.

Likes difalcojr
And Doo Wop from females:

Likes difalcojr
And here's one that the Brit invasion didn't, couldn't cover. Still in that period, 1968. Not sure if this is uplifting for the soul, but certainly for the spirit of that time. The Steve Miller Band from the Sailor album. Tim Davis on drums, Lonnie Turner on bass.

Back