Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
  • #1,016
If you play every fret does it means you have essentially covered everything? :-p

• Love
Likes jack action
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
Hornbein said:
Orig BREAK OUT!, featuring Marty Feldman, former lead guitarist of Metallica. To keep off drugs during touring he studied Japanese instead then quit Metallica and moved to Japan. There he has a TV show, Rock Fujiyama.

I believe you mean Marty Friedman, former lead guitarist for Megadeth.

Marty-Feldman-as-Igor-in-Young-Frankenstein.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #1,018
pinball1970 said:
I googled her, she is a prominent blue grass musician, not something I am that well up on. I will discuss with an ex colleague who is nuts about US blues and country.
I’ve heard bluegrass described as the thrash metal of country music due to the
virtuosity. 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,019
(continuing with 1980s glam metal... #997 Motley Crue - #1005 Loudness )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EZO (1987 album) with "House of 1,000 Pleasures" as the lead track

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezo_(band)
( E.Z.O. interview on Headbanger's Ball (1989) )

HOUSE OF 1,000 PLEASURES - EZO - Topic

(1992) LOUDNESS - house of 1000 pleasures(EZO) [This is a cover by Loudness, with EZO's singer (ref) ]

(2024) EZO - House of 1,000 Pleasures guitar cover (E・Z・O 1/9) - HebinoMetaru 's EZO covers

(2018) E-Z-O “House Of 1,000 Pleasures” (bass cover) by TBSSPILOTviews

(2018) EZO - HOUSE OF 1,000 PLEASURES (BASS COVER) by YAGI CHANNEL

Last edited:
  • #1,020

I must say though that Juna Serita roolz white people slap bass. But she no longer does covers.

Likes jack action
  • #1,021
"Thrill" by Band-Maid (2014)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-Maid
https://bandmaid.tokyo/
(unofficial touring info: https://www.songkick.com/artists/8855314-bandmaid )
  • It's nice to see covers of songs from a relatively-new band that I've liked.
    When I first stumbled upon Band-Maid in 2018, "Thrill" had only about 3M views.
    ..and they hadn't toured in the US yet.
  • some earlier discussion of Band-Maid by @Hornbein in #11 of What is Sheena Ringo...
    (my comments are in #13 and #15)

(2014) BAND-MAID / Thrill (スリル) (Official Music Video)

(2021) BAND-MAID / Thrill (スリル) (Official Live Video)

(2023) Thrill(スリル)/BAND−MAID by ボタニカルオタキRisa and Michelle

( see also Michelle's guitar cover of Thrill )

(2021) Thrill / BAND-MAID Cover By MonoComb

(2022) BAND-MAID 'Thrill' Cover feat @Mieux090 and Rosie! ( by Wave Potter )

(2021) BAND-MAID - THRILL | Cover by Dicodec

Likes morrobay
  • #1,022
I've been a Bandmaid fan since 2013 when Maid In Japan came out. A couple of those old tunes are some of my faves. They've since suppressed this album as incompatible with their later hard rock style. Thrill was in 2015. I could tell they'd made a big jump up. They got popular in the West and even in Mexico.

In Japan musical popularity is mostly controlled by NHK, the national TV network. You can fill stadiums if and only If you get a TV show theme song on NHK. Bandmaid got theirs in 2019 and today has at least one more. I know that the Japanese government supports rock music -- they subsidize the Zepp chain of nightclubs throughout East Asia -- and that they wanted to promote J music abroad in order to get needed foreign exchange. (Japan imports all its fossil fuels so they have to export value-added goods and services.) I expect that NHK works closely with the government. So they decided to make stars out of Bandmaid. It was about time -- after nine years guitarist/composer Kanami was visibly getting bored with playing small clubs. Now that she has her enthusiasm back they're better than ever before.

The rhythm section was dynamite from the get go -- Jimmy Page is a big fan of the drummer -- but the singers and songwriters had some years of work to do before they could make it big. I'm amazed that Miku was able to hold the band together for such a long time before they had much success. I guess it was because everyone in the band could feel they had The Magic. You put a group together and either it has the magic or it doesn't, and it doesn't happen often.

The first time I saw Bandmaid I thought "dang that girl [Miku] is pretty. What's she doing playing an electric guitar? She doesn't need it." It turns out the band made her do it.

Bassist MISA used to be very sullen, almost hostile. Mass popularity has transformed her into a happy almost outgoing person. Same with singer Saiki.

Likes difalcojr and robphy
  • #1,023
Cygnus -- Van Halen cover.
Why Can't This Be Love

• #1,024

• #1,025
Bandmaid engages in two-tiered marketing. They have mass market CDs and also limited edition CDs of live performances that cost a lot more. I think the mixes on the mass market CDs are made to be as loud as possible and hence shrill and painfully ear-piercing. The limited edition CDs are live performances and far superior. I paid $75 for a limited edition CD and another $75 for a CD player and thought it was money very well spent.

They do this because while their audience is on the small side, a lot of it is old guys like me who will pay extra to hear rock performed so well. The way I see it, Bandmaid are modern geisha. Geisha were/are expected to excel in the performing arts, and some do. Styles may change but the game remains the same.

Enter the Secret Room. Is it geisha dreaming of being a rock band or a rock band dreaming of being geisha? Even those who have been to the secret room cannot say.

Last edited:
  • #1,026

Last edited:
  • #1,027
Red -- Tears For Fears' Ordinary World

• #1,028
The original by Diana Ross.

• #1,029

• #1,030

• #1,031

• #1,034
Joyous Wolf covers Mountain's Mississippi Queen.

• #1,035
Completely forgot about that remix on my playlist: Route 66.

Original by Nat King Cole:

Cover By Depeche Mode - Beatmasters Remix :

• Love
Likes morrobay and Hornbein
  • #1,036
jack action said:
Completely forgot about that remix on my playlist: Route 66.

Original by Nat King Cole:

Nat is one of my fave pianists. No one has a better touch on that instrument. That guitarist and bassist are swinging a ton too.

The John Mayer version rocks real good. Too bad his voice is so heavily processed. What can you do?

• #1,037
jack action said:
Ok, that was... weird. Kind of awesome at the same time, though.

Likes jack action
  • #1,038
Larkin Poe does it again. Covering The Everly Brothers

• #1,039
The day before yesterday, Duane Eddy passed away. Younger, I always knew Peter Gunn by The Art of Noise. This one fits in this thread.

• #1,040

• #1,041

• #1,042

• #1,043
What's the trick to make videos available for viewing on PF?

• #1,044
JT Smith said:
if you click on once says it will not play then again and it takes you to YT

• #1,045
JT Smith said:
You can't. It's the video's owner who decides (usually for copyright reasons):
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/171780?hl=en-GB&sjid=15885605353325403930-NA#zippy=%2Cturn-off-embedding-for-your-videos said:
Turn off embedding for your videos

If you've uploaded a video and don't want to allow others to embed your video on external sites, follow these steps:

[...]

• #1,046
jack action said:
You can't. It's the video's owner who decides (usually for copyright reasons):
It's not copyright. I guess they want you to see Youtube's video recommendations and comments, get more engaged.

(I could tell you more than you would care to know about Youtube's copyright policies.)

• #1,047
I love Steve Brodersun's singing.

I'd never have the patience to fiddle with the knobs long enough to match the exact sound of the original. Good for them for doing all that work.

• #1,048
Jon Anderson used to be such a good poet. Nowadays his lyrics are New Age lectures. This was the start of that.

Another Andrei Cerbu production. The guy's talented.

I always heard it as "owner of a '63 Dodge Dart."

Chris Squire's bass playing went from maximal there to minimal here. Why not.

Last edited:
  • #1,049
Hornbein said:
It's not copyright. I guess they want you to see Youtube's video recommendations and comments, get more engaged.

(I could tell you more than you would care to know about Youtube's copyright policies.)

My guess is it's about revenue. When I clicked through to youtube I was delivered an ad prior the video. If you embed a video here that doesn't generate revenue / doesn't have ads I'll bet it would play here. Am I right or wrong?

Let's see... I think this cover of Possum Kingdom fits that category:

Oh well, so much for that theory.
(and the singer is terrible)

• #1,050

That does it. I'm packing my bags for Romania.