Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
pinball1970
Gold Member
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.

• Love
Likes DennisN
Science news on Phys.org
The Residents -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Original (the song, not the singer; song is too old to figure out who sang it first; possibly a Roma song)

Cover:

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Original (Comme d'habitude):

Cover (My way):

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Cover and Original simultaneously (Et maintenant):

Likes pinball1970
The composer said (I quote by memory) that he loves all three of them. He has been lucky to have created a song that was sung differently by 3 artists, but all were very good.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.
"Better" depends on who is judging the two or more versions or arrangements. Also, "Better" depends on how YOU either agree or disagree with the person mentioned who is doing the judging.

Likes phinds
symbolipoint said:
"Better" depends on who is judging the two or more versions or arrangements. Also, "Better" depends on how YOU either agree or disagree with the person mentioned who is doing the judging.
I do not agree with that. I think there is a judgment independent of personal taste.

Likes morrobay and pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
Give an argument, that is what is interesting.

Likes fresh_42
Original:

Cover:

Equally good. Argument? Lemmy doesn't need a ... argument. :cool: 🤘

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and gmax137
Here's one of my favorite covers (as they say, watch to the end)

Likes jasonRF, pinball1970 and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
... Orbison Video
I don't think I have ever seen this. I had a Moto Guzzi just like the one in the video; black tank with chrome knee panels. I wonder where it is now.

fresh_42 said:
Original:

Cover:

Equally good. Argument? Lemmy doesn't need a ... argument. :cool: 🤘

You love Lemmy you are biased! ;

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
Another cover?

the_words_of.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes jasonRF, Hornbein, Bystander and 3 others
gmax137 said:
Here's one of my favorite covers (as they say, watch to the end)

This is where it gets interesting.
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G. That is what this thread is about.
As a stand alone, amazing Vocals and live so respect there BUT with that gentle minimal 1960s sound and harmony S&G had, that is absent here, this version destroys it.
My Neice would have heard this version and thought it is amazing. Listening to the original she would probably be disappointed with the lack of anger passion and insanity. I'll check with her, she is an expert in something i can never be. Being young.

Likes Freyja
Likes Ibix
pinball1970 said:
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G.
I like 'em both, for different reasons. Simon & Garfunkel's version is quiet and contemplative, whereas the Disturbed version is angry about it.

"Hurt" - Nine Inch Nails original and Johnny Cash cover:

Always seems to be something in my eye when I hear Cash's version.

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, pinball1970 and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Agree this is amazing BUT I hated it compared to S&G. That is what this thread is about.
As a stand alone, amazing Vocals and live so respect there BUT with that gentle minimal 1960s sound and harmony S&G had, that is absent here, this version destroys it.
My Neice would have heard this version and thought it is amazing. Listening to the original she would probably be disappointed with the lack of anger passion and insanity. I'll check with her, she is an expert in something i can never be. Being young.

I think it has at least a reason to exist. It is differently interpreted and doesn't destroy the memory of the original. They both are good songs. What makes me angry is, if people cover an already perfect song and ruin it, i.e. if they do not add something, a different interpretation, a different arrangement, or whatever.

This is a cover that makes sense:

Original:

Cover:

... and this is an example where there wasn't any need to record the cover. The original was better and the cover didn't add or change anything. Just the same song, only worse.

Original:

Cover:

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
"Venus": (I favor the original, it's so cool :smile:)

Cover: Bananarama - Venus

Original: Shocking Blue - Venus

Likes pinball1970
"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

(I liked Kim Wilde back in the days, but I still favor the original, I think there is more feeling and desperation in the original)

Cover: Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hangin' On

Original: The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On

Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
"Twist and Shout"

(I haven't listened much to the original)

Cover: The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Original: Twist and Shout - Top Notes 1961 (Rare original version)

Likes pinball1970
"Tainted Love"

(a darn good song, I like both the cover and original, but if I have to choose I go for the original)

Cover: Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Original: Gloria Jones Tainted Love Original 1964

Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
I do not agree with that. I think there is a judgment independent of personal taste.

pinball1970 said:
Give an argument, that is what is interesting.
NO! I am not an artist. An artist should be able to answer what you tell to do, better can I, and very reliably too.

symbolipoint said:
NO! I am not an artist. An artist should be able to answer what you tell to do, better can I, and very reliably too.
You do not need to be an artist, art is not just for the artist. Art is also for the observer, listener and reader.

And the critic.

Anyway this is far easier, we are just looking at the creator and the copyist or rather the original verses the copy. Not as technical as the artist contribution, the value of the piece.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
You do not need to be an artist, art is not just for the artist. Art is also for the observer, listener and reader.

And the critic.

Anyway this is far easier, we are just looking at the creator and the copyist or rather the original verses the copy. Not a technical as the artist contribution, the value of the piece.
Whether I like or dislike any cover version will not be how another listener must react to that cover version. I would find very very little way to reason why I am correct and the other listener to be incorrect. I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".

symbolipoint said:
I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".
Good luck with that! I don't see how it is possible.

symbolipoint said:
Whether I like or dislike any cover version will not be how another listener must react to that cover version. I would find very very little way to reason why I am correct and the other listener to be incorrect. I am trying to find a way to "judgement independent of personal taste".

gmax137 said:
Good luck with that! I don't see how it is possible.

Please stay on topic.

Likes pinball1970
"Working Class Hero"

Covered by many artists. I favor the original, but here is one cover I really like:

Cover: Tina Dico - Working class hero (Danish singer/songwriter)

Original: John Lennon - Working Class Hero

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
The Residents -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I found that very disturbing. You prefer this to the original?

pinball1970 said:
I found that very disturbing. You prefer this to the original?
Yeah. It is truly extreme, yes?

Just about anything by Eva Cassidy is better than the original. It's phenomenal. Her version of Over The Rainbow has largely surplanted the Garland version, something I would have thought impossible.

Sershen and Zaritskaya, same thing. Daria is the best hard rock singer ever, if you ask me. The sort of thing you wouldn't want anyone else to know you liked.

Foxes and Fossils are a terrific cover band. Don't forget Big Brother and the Holding Company w Janis Joplin.

Likes pinball1970
Satan was hailed better in this cover

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
Being a (untalented) musician myself who has studied music for fifty-plus years, it is true that enjoyment of music is subjective. Though while mass popularity is highly unpredictable, there is remarkable consistency in musicians' evaluation of the skill of others. I once saw a TV show where they had polled famous rock musicians as to whom they thought the best and had made a ranking of the top 100. I was able to predict the top 4 in order, and thought the whole list was pretty much bang on. After developing a certain amount of skill in music and listening to a lot of it you get an idea of what someone's goal is and how close (or not) they are to reaching it, even if you don't like their goal.

There are certain musicians who are praised by ALL other musicians in their genre. It's unanimous. How subjective can that be?

In comparison I find lists of top selling recordings to be highly unpredictable. It has more to do with clothes and hairstyle and so forth.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
BWV said:
Satan was hailed better in this cover

I checked this one. Also fairly disturbing as a mash up of the film.

Likes BWV
pinball1970 said:
I checked this one. Also fairly disturbing as a mash up of the film.
The singer is Mike Patton also of Faith No More and Mr Bungle (and a host of other projects). Did a whole album of film tunes, which youtubers have combined with film excerpts

• Informative
Likes pinball1970