Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
This should have been left well alone. If you are going to do an Elvis track, you have to bring something of substance. This is basically the original arrangement with his voice, not a nice voice either.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
This is a cover but I did not know it, Written in 1939 and covered here by Elvis.
So many great things about this. Acapella, his range, high but light, he was still only 21 or so here.
Also, singing with the expression he had at 21. His biographers put it down to spending years singing Gospel music but did everyone turn out like that? Singing like that?
Also look at him! Like Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Ian Gillan, Paul McCartney, Kate Bush, they were so visually appealing that the combo of the music and the look made them special.
So, apologies FYC if you are going to do Elvis you have to bring your A game.

Hornbein said:

Senri Kawaguchi plays Herbie Hancock's Actual Proof (which was based on Tower of Power's Oakland Stroke) live in Montreal. I'd like to know more about that keyboard player.

The drummer is nuts I love her. When she looks up for a cue she smiles like she is ready to go but is secretly thinking, "when the guys are done I'm going drink a litre of vodka and get into a bar fight."

Keeping our highest standards alive (drummers)

Last edited:
Ok more garbage. I remember this very well. I was in Wales with a gf and I had been looking forward to the ten year anniversary for John Lennon, 1990.
What happened was an absolute sh1t show. Music John Lennon would have never had connection with performed by pop stars. Truly truly awful. My gf insisted we watch all plus a few Beatles nut friends who came round and wanted to watch.
Unbelievably this was not the worst track.

pinball1970 said:
A nod to Astrid. Walter does this justice.

@Hornbein You notice he does "stairway to heaven" at 10 seconds in? Cheeky!
EDIT: Also notice his little finger, it is alien long. Stupid long. Like I said he is one of my favourite musicians on YT

Last edited:
Ok back on that concert. 1 minute in is " You need to hide your love away," although you would never know it.

What does this have to do with John Lennon? The Beatles?

I need some ear bleach. Wow 40 seconds in what picture does that remind you of? @fresh_42 might know, I think he likes her singing.

Sign of a great song and also who is performing it when you like both for different reasons.
Love them for different reasons.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Great post but we already cited Walter on this?

pinball1970 said:
Great post but we already cited Walter on this?
I meant to include this one.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
It Came From the Zone of Bad Covers --

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
It Came From the Zone of Bad Covers --

What the hell is he doing at the beginning with his bass drum? EDIT: It is 17 y.o. Stevie Wonder on drums! Just checked following comments on the YouTube.
Stevie was and is a genius pure and simple but this is messy. I liked his drumming on "Innervisions."
This is a funny track for Hendrix to pick, it is not a three piece song!

Last edited:
Just for comparison. His voice is perfection on this and there is a lot going on in the background. EDIT: Quick check he is 17 here too. When you are that good it shows early.

Last edited:
Plumbing the abyss of badness. The Star Spangled Banner.

Rasputin by Boney M

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Good cover of Ben E King classic

Original

Cover of Bob Dylan's Desolation Row.

Likes BillTre
And then there are some songs that are just un- coverable

morrobay said:
And then there are some songs that are just un- coverable

Brushes on the drums! A lost art?

Hornbein said:
Brushes on the drums! A lost art?
Motown/Soul is a lost art.

Last edited:
Credit due:

Another un-coverable. BTW: Shop Around^ and Fingertips would be called Motown. While Cry to Me , Soul

Last edited:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970

After retirement from the Fantastic Four, Sue was able to develop her sensitive side.

• Love
Likes pinball1970

• Love
Likes pinball1970

Hopefully you get the thumbnail at least. If not it is the Stones, Beatles wrote it.

Last edited:
Likes gmax137
morrobay said:

I love the vibraphone!

Hornbein said:

After retirement from the Fantastic Four, Sue was able to develop her sensitive side.

That is absolutely beautiful. No idea of the instruments though, this could be in the obscure instruments thread too.

Hornbein said:

The bass changes at 5.53. She is good and sticking the E in was not enough. I upvoted though!

pinball1970 said:
I love the vibraphone!
Yes Martin Denny is something else

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
That is absolutely beautiful. No idea of the instruments though, this could be in the obscure instruments thread too.

morrobay said:
Yes Martin Denny is something else

Starting at 1:35 they're refering to It Ain't Necessarily So.

pinball1970 said:
Those are a big Napoleon mandolin and a Celtic harp, honored by the legendary Alan A'Dale and today's Harp lager.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970