Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Here's the previous Mother Earth video

and then the last two:

Likes pinball1970, DaveE and jack action
pinball1970 said:
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.
Here's a couple versions of the song "Mona": one the original (I think) classic, the cover a whole lot different.

Likes pinball1970
Or the song "Fanny Mae". Original by Buster Brown, cover by The Steve Miller Band.

Likes pinball1970
OK, last one, then I'll stop. Song is "Killing Floor". Original by Howlin' Wolf. Cover by The Electric Flag. With LBJ speaking first. Listen to his words. He was concurrently escalating war. Great opening and then off goes Bloomfield on the guitar. Enjoy.

Likes pinball1970
Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV

Likes pinball1970
The original by Howlin Wolf sounds suspiciously like Last Night by The Mar-Keys

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
Going To A Go Go -- Originally by The Miracles, cover by The Rolling Stones

I think this whole concert from 1982 is great. In 2021 it was released semi-covertly in a "super deluxe" CD set.

DaveE said:
Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV
Yes a song writer first.
I like most of the singles
Subterranean Homesick Blues

Like a rolling stone

Looks like a woman

Lay lady lay

Knocking on heavens door

I want you

Blowin in the wind
I cannot even remember his version of “All along the watch tower,” Hendrix finest hour in the studio for me.

Mighty Quinn is Manfred Man for me and Mr Tambourine man is the Byrds although I do like his version as well.

Some Dylan singing actually sounds good:
Knocking on Heaven's Door (the Hollywood production for a movie that should have gotten an Oscar in my opinion):

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr, DaveE and pinball1970
BillTre said:
Some Dylan singing actually sounds good:
Knocking on Heaven's Door (the Hollywood production for a movie that should have gotten an Oscar in my opinion:

I'll check that out Bill

Bob said "give up smoking and you can sing like Caruso."

He does sound better on "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Do you think he quit smoking, maybe? Not a great voice, but neither did Garcia have a good voice. Pigpen was their best vocalist in the beginning, I believe. Here's one I think fits Dylan's nasal voice well. From my favorite album of his.

Best Dylan song. . . ever! . :cool:

• Love
Likes BillTre and difalcojr
Hornbein said:
Bob said "give up smoking and you can sing like Caruso."
Here's one I always liked, well, the album version anyway. Found this live Paris 1966 live version, not that good. Listening to his voice in the introduction, though, sounds like he's been smoking a pack/day, maybe. :)

difalcojr said:
Here's one I always liked, well, the album version anyway. Found this live Paris 1966 live version, not that good. Listening to his voice in the introduction, though, sounds like he's been smoking a pack/day, maybe. :)

Yes, one of my favorites of his. But, again, better when sung by someone else.

• Love
Likes difalcojr
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (3rd movement)

Valentina Lisitsa (2009)

Dr. Viossy (2011)

Tina S (2016)

Likes difalcojr, pinball1970 and jack action
How about "Bring It on home to me". Sam Cooke, original. Eric Burdon and the Animals, the cover. I like both but can't beat the original.

Likes pinball1970 and morrobay
Indeed I give them about 30%. Its like whites trying to cover Ray Charles: No kan doo. That's Huntington Beach btw

DaveE said:
Agree, Judy Collins' cover is better than Dylan's original.
I do like Joni Mitchell originals better than Judy Collins covers of them, though. I
I think Judy Collins cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" is even better than his very fine original version too.

Likes pinball1970
That's Lou Rawls singing "backup." It's really a duet.

morrobay said:
Indeed I give them about 30%. Its like whites trying to cover Ray Charles: No kan doo. That's Huntington Beach btw
Well, the English bands were the first to do American blues. It wasn't played on the radio or popularized at all. Or covered much until the hippies tuned in too. Here's an early cover of what you're talking about, probably referring to. John Mayall, Eric Clapton, John McVie, Hughie Flint. Is that beach in Morro Bay?!

Likes pinball1970
. Huntington Beach pier, Huntington Beach, CA

Likes pinball1970
I give these lads close to 100%

Agreed. Here's another I want your opinion on. "Hideaway". Really like Freddie King's music and his original version. But Mayall's cover version with Eric Clapton I like just as much, even a bit more. 100% ?

Likes pinball1970
These instrumentals sound about the same.(I have no music technical knowledge ) This style of blues is not particulary my style preference anyway. This leads into Paul Butterfield and a very large field of that style both black and white. For blues I like Jimmy Reed , a completely different blues style. Overall I prefer Ray Charles type soul and Motown.

Roger Daltry -- Born To Run

Likes difalcojr
morrobay said:
These instrumentals sound about the same.(I have no music technical knowledge ) This style of blues is not particulary my style preference anyway. This leads into Paul Butterfield and a very large field of that style both black and white. For blues I like Jimmy Reed , a completely different blues style. Overall I prefer Ray Charles type soul and Motown.
Yes, everyone has their own style preference. I like Jimmy Reed, Ray Charles and Motown too. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell duets my favorites. Not sure if they covered anyone, but their covers would win. Beautiful harmony.
Yes, blues leads into Butterfield and the U.S. blues scene. It was the Steve Miller Blues Band originally. Butterfield's cover of Muddy Waters' "Got My Mojo Working" with big Sam Lay singing and drums. That one song got everybody jumping for the blues.
30% for Eric Burdon (who had a great voice) in that awfully funny video is about right. The Englishmen looked completely lost on a California beach in a staged, lip-sync video. Hanging with what looked like the film extras cast right out of the Gidget movies. Huntington Beach, thks.

difalcojr said:
Hanging with what looked like the film extras cast right out of the Gidget movies. Huntington Beach, thks.
Well I'm 3rd generation native Californian. With many years in Laguna Beach . And there was nothing staged about that typical Beach crowd.

• Haha
Likes difalcojr
morrobay said:
Well I'm 3rd generation native Californian. With many years in Laguna Beach . And there was nothing staged about that typical Beach crowd.
I liked surf music too. All of it, actually, I confess, a lot. Harmonies. Good vibes. Sunny, warm LA. Jimi Hendrix is my favorite rock guitarist; he sang something like 'may you never hear surf music again', but I don't agree with him. "Wipeout" by the Ventures. Lots of good music in every venue. Here's a Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell one since you brought in Marvin Gaye. Not much Motown I've seen on the posts?

difalcojr said:
I liked surf music too.

Best surf music and video. . . ever! . :cool:

• Love
Likes difalcojr
Sails of Charon (Scorpions with Uli Jon Roth)

Scorpions - Sails Of Charon - Musikladen TV (16.01.1978)

Yngwie Malmsteen - Sails Of Charon (1996)

Uli Jon Roth - "The Sails of Charon (Scorpions)" (1/31/23) 70000 Tons of Metal

IMG_20230820_153123.jpg

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr