Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
OK, enough is enough:

"Squeal like a Piggy!" (Bonus points to anyone who gets the joke)

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Ok last one for these guys. They cover Steely Dan. Steely Dan are insane. Ronald Fagin
Vanadium 50 said:
OK, enough is enough:

That film was very disturbing to me. Very.

There is enough beautiful music out there and kids are basking in that glory and want to at least try their best to replicate it.

Happy holidays V50.

pinball1970 said:
hat film was very disturbing to me. Very.
But that's not the joke.

Vanadium 50 said:
But that's not the joke.
Mm. Ok, well dueling tubas does not quite hit the spot for me and I cannot find the joke.
You have will have to tell me.

DennisN said:
Laura Branigan - Gloria

Ok, here's another cover I heard for the first time a couple of days ago... by Laura Branigan again.
And on this one... well, what can I say? She takes the vocals to a whole different level... :))
The vocals are so powerful I have to say I like the cover more than the original :smile:.
Gosh, this girl could sing!

Cover: Laura Branigan - The Power of Love

The original was performed by Jennifer Rush, and it's a song I very much remember from the 1980s.
I wasn't a die-hard fan of it, but I thought it was a good song (actually there are comparatively very few ballads from the 1980s I like, but I post a link to one exception below (*)).

Original: Jennifer Rush - The Power Of Love (Official Video)

* One BIG exception is "Don't Give Up" (with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush) which simply is a phenomenal song, in my opinon ❤️).

Likes pinball1970
Likes pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
Hmm,... those tuba players are doing to the original song what the rednecks did to Ned Beatty in the film?

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Astronuc and pinball1970
Just now, I became aware of Diana Ankudinova (incredible range of pitch):

Cover of "Wicked Game":

Cover of one of the main Dune themes:

Likes pinball1970
strangerep said:
those tuba players are doing to the original song what the rednecks did to Ned Beatty in the film?
<sigh>

A "piggy" is a style of tuba. The intent is that it sounds like a big tuba, but takes up less space: tubas are not piccolos, and sometimes available space (e.g. in an orchestra pit) is at a premium.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
Oh, and if we are talking about covers of Jump.

Likes pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
Oh, and if we are talking about covers of Jump.

Technically this is a mash up not a cover. @Hornbein likes these.

Vanadium 50 said:
A "piggy" is a style of tuba. The intent is that it sounds like a big tuba, but takes up less space: tubas are not piccolos, and sometimes available space (e.g. in an orchestra pit) is at a premium.
Given the film and given your sense of humour, I think this link is a win.

pinball1970 said:
Technically this is a mash up
I disagree. Different musicians playing a different arrangement of the same song is a cover. Granted, there are differences in styles. But one could say that about Aretha Franklin's Respect (yes, that's a cover), Ike and Tina Turner's Proud Mary, or Cowboy Junkies Sweet Jane.

If you want an example where things are more ambiguous, there is Carole King.James Taylor's You've Got A Friend. Recorded by the same musicians at the same session (and possibly even the same take), released a week apart with two different vocal tracks. Who covered whom? Or who mashednup whom?

Vanadium 50 said:
disagree. Different musicians playing a different arrangement of the same song is a cover
No. They stick two tracks together, C'mon everybody and Jump.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want an example where things are more ambiguous, there is Carole King.James Taylor's You've Got A Friend
There will be greyer areas.

What is a cover? A cover is a version where the original song is recorded, released and then copied at a later date.The original song may or may not be recorded by the artist who wrote it, all points of discussion.

A mash up is splicing different songs together.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
So I would argue that Big Daddy's Jump is a cover. They took the sheet music, made an arrangement in another style, and then recorded it. Seems pretty cut and dried.

There is also a difference between a "quote" and a :mash up". For decades, probably centuries, composers have used a bar or two of one piece in another. As in the 1812 Overture.

As far as You've Got A Friend, the case can be made that either recording was the "original".

Vanadium 50 said:
So I would argue that Big Daddy's Jump is a cover. They took the sheet music, made an arrangement in another style, and then recorded it. Seems pretty cut and dried.

There is also a difference between a "quote" and a :mash up". For decades, probably centuries, composers have used a bar or two of one piece in another. As in the 1812 Overture.

As far as You've Got A Friend, the case can be made that either recording was the "original".
No. Covering a song and amalgamation of two songs or more is different.

Perhaps you want to put things into sets? The song, the cover of the song and amalgamations of the songs. Where is @fresh_42 when you need him?

Sounds like a thread?

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow. I REALLY think you know what this thread is supposed to be about.
Can I suggest you just don't do that? You did the same with the Tolkien thread

It doesn't matter, music will not change. Perhaps posters will give a few insights.
Interaction with smart posters.

Call it whatever you want it, Big Daddy's Jump is not only worse than Van Halen's Jump, it's not good at all.

Found nice little gems, both original and cover:

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Can I suggest you just don't do that?
"It's my thread. I decide who can participate and what they are allowed to say. Go away." Got it.

Vanadium 50 said:
"It's my thread. I decide who can participate and what they are allowed to say. Go away." Got it.
Post what you want and it will not be interrupted by my unnecessary pedantry.

Mongolian throat singing cover of YMCA or Slayers raining blood, the Las Vegas years, will all be welcome.

One of the best songs from what I thought was a horrible period in pop music.

Russians.

It's in Cm so sting is hitting tenor As and Bb (A4)

Then he sang it in Russia and dropped a tone.

Then he dropped a few more to F#m, still powerful and the cello suits it.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
One of the best songs from what I thought was a horrible period in pop music.

Russians.

It's in Cm so sting is hitting tenor As and Bb (A4)
Great song, but I believe that recent events have demonstrated that the answer is actually “no”.

• Sad
Likes strangerep and pinball1970
A Russian covering "Full house" by Kate Bush.

Nirvana y Aixa ( https://www.youtube.com/@radionubeoficial - https://www.youtube.com/@radionubeoficial/shorts )

Young siblings rock out on drums and guitar - aged ten and eight | SWNS

Meet the siblings who rock out on the drums and guitar - at the ages of ten and eight.​
Nirvana Sota and her younger sister Aixa Sota have already performed at live shows and can cover famous hits like 'Enter Sandman' by Metallica or 'Creep' by Radiohead.​
Nirvana plays the guitar and Aixa the drums while dad Jussef Sota ,43, and mum Ilusión Sota, 42, play bass and piano respectively.​
The sisters have been playing since they were two years old and the family formed a band called Radio Nube two years ago.​
The family from Hermosillo, México....​

Nirvana y Aixa TOP TEN 2023

Nirvana y Aixa tocan The Trooper de IRON MAIDEN

Aixa y Nirvana tocan La Grange [by ZZ Top]

Nirvana y Aixa tocan Tom Sawyer de RUSH

Nirvana toca Ballerina 12/24 de STEVE VAI @SteveVaiHimself

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
I just noticed this cover of Gollum's Song (from The Two Towers) by Alina Gingertail.

Questions: what is the 1st instrument that appears? It seems to be played with a bow and levers.

Also, what is the small compact wind instrument that appears later?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
strangerep said:
Also, what is the small compact wind instrument that appears later?

Ocarina?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina

It also used here.

The non-standard sounds makes me wonder how the vocal score is written down.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and strangerep
pinball1970 said:
A mash up is splicing different songs together.

(another) case in point:

Likes pinball1970
aaaannddd another...

Likes pinball1970
Arjan82 said:
(another) case in point:

Pomplamoose is Portuguese for grapefruit.

Likes pinball1970
Frabjous said:
Ocarina?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina

It also used here.

The non-standard sounds makes me wonder how the vocal score is written down.

This version is pure magic.

The vocals can be notated with not much problem I would have thought. They are still notes with a time associated. I think the only difference would be the vowels and whatever they put in brackets "spoken" or "shouted" even, ff!

The Ocarina line tails off at end of of a few of the phrases, can be denoted with a glissando.

I listened to the guitar part and it is much more treble in the original.

Likes Frabjous
Dead Flowers
- Dubh Lee

Likes pinball1970