Calculating Friction on a Slope

In summary, the conversation was about finding friction up a slope with a file attached, but the wrong magnitude for the normal force was given. The correct equation for finding friction was discussed, and it was pointed out that the solution does not require the coefficient of friction. The conversation then shifted to a discussion of the difference between kinetic and static friction, and the importance of accurately describing the problem. It was concluded that the coefficient of friction can still be found if the rate of acceleration is known.
SiCharlton
hey firstly, I am not so certain this is the correct place for this thread, sorry!feel free to move!
basically, if you look at the file attached, I am trying to find friction up the slope, but i cannot do it, and i can't see how you will do it, so if anyone could shine some light, i would be most apreciative!
thanks in advance!
si

Attachments

• math.jpg
    math.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 428
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, for starters you've got the wrong magnitude for the normal force.

You know the body doesn't move in the Y axis so [tex]\Sigma F_y = 0[/tex].

[tex]\Sigma F_y = N - mg\cos \alpha = 0[/tex]

So now that you have the N force, do you know how to find the friction force?

im trying to find friction up the slope,

You know that is really a horrible description of the problem at hand. Has anyone else ever noticed the high correletion between someones inabilty to do a given problem and to accurately describe what it is that they are even trying to do.

Anyway, if you're asking what I think you're asking then the answer is,
[tex] F = mg \sin(\theta)[/tex],
Assuming that the block is not accelerating.

You may be concerned that the solution does not mention or require the coefficient of friction ([tex]\mu[/tex]). That is actually embedded in the assumption that the block is not accelerating. In particular, if [tex]\mu > \tan(\theta)[/tex] then the block will remain at rest and the value of the frictional force will be less then the maximum available frictional force and just sufficient to keep the block at rest, namely [tex]mg \sin(\theta)[/tex]

thankyou for your constructive replies,
NateTG Well, for starters you've got the wrong magnitude for the normal force. ok fair enough say its wrong, but i don't see you correcting it?

bout my description, ok I am trying to find the frictional force working against the block which is MOVING and accelerating down the plane, i was getting at the fact that couldn't do it, and didnt think it was possible, if it is accelerating, is it possible?
cheers
si

Did you even read my post? Do you know how the kinetic friction force is defined? Do you know how to find it if you have the magnitude of the normal force?

Originally posted by SiCharlton
thankyou for your constructive replies,
NateTG Well, for starters you've got the wrong magnitude for the normal force. ok fair enough say its wrong, but i don't see you correcting it?

It's not my homework is it?

Originally posted by SiCharlton
bout my description, ok I am trying to find the frictional force working against the block which is MOVING and accelerating down the plane, i was getting at the fact that couldn't do it, and didnt think it was possible, if it is accelerating, is it possible?
cheers
si

If you have [tex]\mu_k[/tex]
[tex]F_{friction}=\mu_k N[/tex]

If you know all the other forces, and the acceleration you can use
[tex]F_{net}=ma[/tex]

Last edited:
ur hwk? no...its not even mine? i found this prb in the math book an thought it was impossible, u don't know 'mu'so i aint so sure on what to do, findin the coeficient of friction would help, or even having it would help! so its not possible without either of those two?
cheers
si

bout my description, ok I am trying to find the frictional force working against the block which is MOVING and accelerating down the plane

Ok, that's the vital piece of information that I was referring to when I compained about poor problem description. The cases of moving versus static are very different.

In the moving case the motion will be resisted by the full available frictional force of,
[tex]F = \mu m g \cos(\theta)[/tex].

In the static case the frictional force will never be greater than that which is required to oppose the other forces and keep the block static. That is,
[tex]F = m g \sin(\theta)[/tex].

Two very different cases as you can see. The first case (moving) is possible for any value of the incline [tex]\theta[/tex] as you can alway give the block some initial velocity.

The second case (static) is only applicable if [tex] \mu > \tan(\theta)[/tex], otherwise motion will be spontanious.

Actually there's a [tex]\mu_k[/tex] for kinetic friction and a [tex]\mu_s[/tex] for static friction. Typically [tex]\mu_s>\mu_k[/tex].

If you know the rate of acceleration of the block, then you can still figure out what [tex]\mu_k[/tex] is.

thanks a lot mate
cheers
si

Related to Calculating Friction on a Slope

1. What is friction on a slope?

Friction on a slope refers to the force that resists the motion of an object sliding down a slope. It is caused by the contact between the object and the surface of the slope, and can be affected by factors such as the roughness of the surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the slope.

2. How is friction on a slope calculated?

To calculate friction on a slope, you will need to know the weight of the object, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the slope. The formula for calculating friction on a slope is F = μmgcosθ, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the force needed to slide an object over a surface. It is a unitless value that represents the roughness of the surface and the interaction between the object and the surface. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion, while a lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect friction?

The angle of the slope has a direct effect on the force of friction. As the angle of the slope increases, the force of friction also increases. This is because the steeper the slope, the more the weight of the object is acting perpendicular to the surface, making it more difficult for the object to slide down the slope.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change on a slope?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change on a slope depending on various factors such as the surface material, temperature, and moisture. For example, a wet or icy surface will have a higher coefficient of friction, making it more difficult for an object to slide down the slope, while a dry or smooth surface will have a lower coefficient of friction, allowing for easier sliding.