How to find coefficient of friction of a body sliding down the slope?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction using two different approaches and obtaining different results. The confusion arises from the assumption that the coefficient of friction cannot be greater than 1 when the body is moving. However, it is clarified that this is not always the case. The conversation also mentions using a coordinate system and applying the net force equation to find the necessary equations. It is also mentioned that the textbook used is a workbook by Nada Brkovic, which has a question about the coefficient of friction being greater than 1, but it is not properly answered.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Body starts to slide down the 60degree incline plane and after 20 meters reaches speed of 4 m/s. What is the coefficient of friction?
Relevant Equations
acceleration due to gravity under angle ->Fg=mgsin60, Normal force -> Fn=mgcos60, Ffriction = mi(coefficient of friction)*Fn
So basically I need to find the coefficient of friction given the listed information.
What bothers me is that I am getting two different accelerations for two different approaches. When I calculate acceleration using Fg=mgsin60 I do it this way: Fg=mgsin60 -> ma=mgsin60 ->a=gsin60 -> a=8.66. But when I use formula ##v^2=2as## I get a=0.4.

After I got a using Fg=mgsin60 I use Ftr=Fn*mi -> ma=mgcos60*mi -> ##\frac{a}{gcos60}=mi## -> mi(fr coef)= 1.73. Which makes no sense, since body is moving and coef of friction can't be greater or equal to 1 if body is moving.

And using a I got from ##v^2=2as## -> ##\frac{a}{gcos60}=mi## -> mi= 0.08 and that makes sense, BUT the solution in the textbook is 1.65, so I am really confused. I suppose it's mistake in textbook, but why am I getting two different soltions for a?

So yeah, if you could please explain I would be very grateful,
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
Fg=mgsin60 -> ma=mgsin60
That assumes no friction. Try including the frictional force in the equation.

Likes MatinSAR, Callmelucky and erobz
Callmelucky said:
. . . and coef of friction can't be greater or equal to 1 if body is moving.
Why?

Likes Callmelucky and MatinSAR
Callmelucky said:

how to find coefficient of friction of a body sliding down the slop?​

Just FYI, most slop has a VERY low coefficient of friction.

• Haha
Likes kuruman
You want to find coefficient of friction. But you have forgotten the firiction force in your answer!
1681167277189.png

Try to add a X-Y coordinate system and find component of each force in ##x## and ##y## direction. Then apply ##\vec F_{net}=m\vec a## ! You should know that the mentioned vector equation equivalent to three component equations! So you can find equations you have mentioned in post #1 without forgetting the firiction force.

Likes Callmelucky
@MatinSAR, @haruspex. I got it, thank you.
@kuruman, I had no idea that mi can be >=1, there was a question in the textbook if mi can be >= 1 and the answer at the end was that it can not. I never checked that, just accepted it as a fact, but after checking I realized that it obviously can be, thank you for telling me.

Likes MatinSAR and kuruman
Callmelucky said:
@MatinSAR, @haruspex. I got it, thank you.
@kuruman, I had no idea that mi can be >=1, there was a question in the textbook if mi can be >= 1 and the answer at the end was that it can not. I never checked that, just accepted it as a fact, but after checking I realized that it obviously can be, thank you for telling me.
What text book?

haruspex said:
What text book?
it's actually a workbook by Nada Brkovic, there is a question(273) if the friction coefficient can be greater than 1, and, somehow I concluded that it can not be greater than 1 if the body is moving. The best thing is that it is not a proper question, it's more like a side question along with 3 main questions and it is not actually answered at the end of the textbook. I don't know why I thought that it was answered and that the answer was that coef of friction can't be >=1.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing no friction and 1 representing maximum friction.

2. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction?

Knowing the coefficient of friction is important for predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It allows us to calculate the amount of force needed to move an object, the distance an object will travel, and the speed at which it will travel.

3. How do you measure the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be measured by conducting an experiment where an object is placed on a slope and allowed to slide down. By measuring the angle of the slope and the distance the object travels, the coefficient of friction can be calculated using the formula μ = tanθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of the slope.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or changing the angle of the slope can also affect the coefficient of friction.