Angle calculation in a sloping vector system

In summary: Your name]In summary, the issue with the sloping pipe system appears to be related to an error in the angle of the corners when the slope angle is increased. This could be due to the increase in the angle between the leading and preceding vector. To correct this, suggestions include adjusting the angle formula to incorporate the slope angle or using a different method for determining the angle. Further information about the calculations may be helpful in finding a solution.
BrentK
I seem to have come across a new problem
I am trying to programm a sloping pipe system to match an array of vector points.
I thought I had it all sorted out until I tested with a very high slope angle. With a normal slope of around 2% everything looks fine. If I increase the slope to 30% there seems to be an error in the angle of the corners related to the slope of the pipe. As I increase the slope of the pipe, the error increases.

Below is a detail picture of the system at slope 30%.
I calculate the angle difference between the leading and preceding Vector to the corner. This calculation must be correct because the pipes are placed at this angle and are parallel to the vector lines.

I use this same calculated angle to create the pipe corners. Angle "A" in the first picture.
Radius of the corner is "r" and known
Point "1" in the picture shows the end point of the corner, which should line up with the preceding vector... if you look closely you see an error here, meaning the angle needs to be corrected somehow relating to the slope of the pipe system.
Point "2" shows the overlapping points of the corner to the preceding pipe, showing the error in the angle of the corner.

I'm sorry I'm at a loss to be able to explain this in mathmatical terms with some kind of angle diagram, as I am not sure exactly where the problem lies.

If anyone can figure out how i may go about correcting the angle of the corners i would be very grateful!

See also 2 pictures showing the pipe system in side view (at 30% slope) and top view.

View attachment 8697

View attachment 8695

View attachment 8696

Attachments

• pipedetail.JPG
    pipedetail.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 53
  • pipeslope.JPG
    pipeslope.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 55
  • popetopview.JPG
    popetopview.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 54
  • pipedetail.JPG
    pipedetail.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I am interested in helping you solve this problem with your sloping pipe system.

From your description and the images provided, it seems that the error in the angle of the corners is related to the increase in slope of the pipe system. This could be due to the fact that as the slope increases, the angle between the leading and preceding vector also increases, causing a discrepancy in the calculated angle for the corners.

To help correct this issue, I suggest looking into ways to adjust the calculated angle based on the slope of the pipe system. This could involve incorporating the slope angle into the formula for calculating the angle or using a correction factor to adjust the angle accordingly.

Another approach could be to use a different method for determining the angle of the corners, such as using the slope angle as a reference point and calculating the angle from there.

I understand that it may be difficult to explain the issue in mathematical terms, but if you could provide more information about the calculations and formulas you are using, I may be able to provide more specific suggestions.

In any case, I am willing to assist you in finding a solution to this problem. Please feel free to provide more details or ask any further questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

1. How do you calculate the angle of a vector in a sloping vector system?

In order to calculate the angle of a vector in a sloping vector system, you can use the formula tan θ = (opposite/adjacent). This formula can be applied to any right triangle within the vector system to determine the angle.

2. What is the difference between a positive and negative angle in a sloping vector system?

A positive angle in a sloping vector system indicates that the vector is going upward or to the right, while a negative angle indicates that the vector is going downward or to the left. The direction of the angle is determined by the direction of the vector in relation to the horizontal and vertical axes.

3. How can you use the angle of a vector to determine its direction in a sloping vector system?

The angle of a vector in a sloping vector system can be used to determine its direction by referencing the four quadrants on a coordinate plane. If the angle is in the first quadrant (0° to 90°), the vector is going upward and to the right. If the angle is in the second quadrant (90° to 180°), the vector is going upward and to the left. If the angle is in the third quadrant (180° to 270°), the vector is going downward and to the left. And if the angle is in the fourth quadrant (270° to 360°), the vector is going downward and to the right.

4. Can you use a protractor to measure the angle of a vector in a sloping vector system?

No, a protractor cannot be used to measure the angle of a vector in a sloping vector system because the vector is not on a flat surface. Instead, the angle must be calculated using the appropriate formula or by using a coordinate plane and referencing the vector's position.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the angle in a sloping vector system?

Calculating the angle in a sloping vector system is important because it allows you to determine the direction and magnitude of the vector. This information can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation, to understand and predict the movement of objects in a sloping vector system.